-----Original Message-----
From: w6rsj_1 [mailto:w6rsj_1@...]
Sent: Saturday, October 12, 2002 11:02 PM
To: Subject: [TMD700A] TM-d700a Power Question

I have two 700a's. One will power on and off with just turning the
power supply on or off but the other one needs to be turned on at the
control head after turning the power supply on. Is this a programming
option?

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

Subscribe: TMD700A-subscribe@...

w6rsj_1 <w6rsj_1@...>

Yes Sir, thats the weird part. I have 3 tmv7a's, 2 tmg707a's and 2
tmd700a's and only the one 700a will not turn back on upon application
of power. When I get into the mobile I just flip one switch and the
v7a, g707a, and the 700a used to just turn on. Now the 700a has to
been turned on by the radio switch, but my other 700a in the base
turns on and off with the power supply. Might have to just send it to
avvid and let them look at it if its not a programming problem.

Richard W6RSJ

Benjamin Ng <benjamin@...>

Hi Richard,

I have similar experience. I have two D700A, One is always in the car and powered by car battery so don't know if this has the problem. The other one is at home and is powered by a ASTRON RS-20A and had this problem since I own it (second hand). The weird part is that it is turning on now by just turning on the prower supply. I did not do anything intentionally to "FIX" it per say.

Benjamin KK7BEN

Yes Sir, thats the weird part. I have 3 tmv7a's, 2 tmg707a's and 2
tmd700a's and only the one 700a will not turn back on upon application
of power. When I get into the mobile I just flip one switch and the
v7a, g707a, and the 700a used to just turn on. Now the 700a has to
been turned on by the radio switch, but my other 700a in the base
turns on and off with the power supply. Might have to just send it to
avvid and let them look at it if its not a programming problem.

Richard W6RSJ

Subscribe: TMD700A-subscribe@...

w6rsj_1 <w6rsj_1@...>

In the truck the radios are powered on when I turn on the power to the
siren. Radio turns on and off never have to touch the control head of
the 700a v7a or g707a.

But at the base turn the power supply off and the radio turns off turn
the power supply on and the other v7a, g707a turn on but have to turn
on the 700a at the radio. Switched radios from base to mobile and the
problem stayed with the radio. And it a new problem. So it is either a
programming option that I messed up or as they say "the toaster is broken"

Richard

WO1V@...

From Christian, wo1v:

In the truck the radios are powered on when I turn on the power to the
siren. Radio turns on and off never have to touch the control head of
the 700a v7a or g707a.

But at the base turn the power supply off and the radio turns off turn
the power supply on and the other v7a, g707a turn on but have to turn
on the 700a at the radio. Switched radios from base to mobile and the
problem stayed with the radio. And it a new problem. So it is either a
programming option that I messed up or as they say "the toaster is broken"

This got me wondering: If the PS itself is turned off, could the relatively
slow decay of the 12V voltage initiate some unusual reset on a
microprocessor? Has anything else at all changed with the radio?

FWIW

Christian, wo1v

Ron Cluster <rcluster@...>

I have always powered all electronics off before turning off the power
supply, and the PS is obviously the first thing to get powered on. Then each
electronic device is powered on using it's own power switch. Same with
starting the car. Everything is turned off before cranking the engine (not
quite as important when turning the car OFF if you're wired directly to the
battery). Voltage spikes, as well as low voltage conditions, are extremely
hard on electronic devices. Most power supplies do not behave well in the
first instant they are powered on and I won't subject my equipment to the
"slow fade" when turning off the supply. And voltage spikes and variations
when starting automobiles are horrible. Your only defense, unless the
manufacturer has built in GOOD protection circuitry, is that power switch on
the device.

I don't have the D700 (yet) but I do run a V7A in the car and in the house.

Just my 2 cents, maybe I'm being too cautious???

73.....Ron.....AC7TK