Topics

Strange problem

Jean Pierre Magnan <incendie@...>

I have finally hooked up my Garmin II+ to my rig earlier this week.
Everything works just perfectly except for a slight difference (20 degrees)
in the direction I am going (bearing). For example, when I'm coming home,
the bearing is 60 deg (east of course). On my TM-D700, it shows 40 degrees.
Everywhere I go, the TM-D700 will show 20 degrees less than my GPS.

I have tried to figure this on out but I can't. Has it happened to someone
else on the list ?

Also, this one is off topic but I thought I ask anyway. How do I get my
Garmin II+ to compensate for the daylight saving time ? I tried to find a
way in the menus but I didn't see it. I thought of changing my time zone but
it just doesn't seem the right solution. Any idea out there ?

Stay safe !

73 de VE2JPT

Jean-Pierre
________________________________
Jean-Pierre Magnan
VE2 JPT (Basic and 5 wpm)
Lieutenant, Notre-Dame-du-Mont-Carmel VFD, Québec, Canada G0X 3J0
email: incendie@...
french for now)

The opinions expressed above are mine, all mine.
But I love to share them 8-)

Dave Hadler

Your GPS is probably displaying magnetic bearing and the D700 displaying true bearing. Change your GPS to display TRUE unless your using it with a compass. If this is the problem then I suspect you have never used your GPS with a paper map to figure out where you are going:-)

Cheers Dave

From: Jean Pierre Magnan <incendie@...>
To: <TMD700A@...>
Subject: [TMD700A] Strange problem
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2001 22:05:25 -0400

[...]

Lieutenant, Notre-Dame-du-Mont-Carmel VFD, Qu�bec, Canada G0X 3J0
email: incendie@...
french for now)

The opinions expressed above are mine, all mine.
But I love to share them 8-)

philip yanov <phil@...>

Could the course deviation be explained by the difference between magnetic
north and true north? I seem to remember my Garmin allows me to choose
which north I want. My Garmins do not seem to be Daylight Savings Time
aware, (nor is the D700) I have to adjust them myself. So for a couple of
days each year I think about setting everything to UTC.

-philip, K4PJY
UTC-4 (for now.)

Message: 4
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2001 22:05:25 -0400
From: Jean Pierre Magnan <incendie@...>
Subject: Strange problem

On 4/5/01 7:20 AM, "philip yanov" <phil@...> wrote:

Could the course deviation be explained by the difference between magnetic
north and true north?  I seem to remember my Garmin allows me to choose
which north I want.  My Garmins do not seem to be Daylight Savings Time
aware, (nor is the D700) I have to adjust them myself. So for a couple of
days each year I think about setting everything to UTC.

-philip, K4PJY
UTC-4 (for now.)

Deviation: That would make sense. I didn’t think about  this one before.  I’ll take a look and I’ll let you know.

As far as setting everything to UTC, that also makes sense. And since my car clock is always set to the correct local time, I do not have to rely on my GPS clock to arrive on time for my appointments !!! I’ll think about this one also...

Stay safe !

73 de VE2JPT

Jean-Pierre
________________________________

On 4/5/01 12:26 AM, "Dave Hadler" <dave_hadler@...> wrote:

Your GPS is probably displaying magnetic bearing and the D700 displaying
true bearing. Change your GPS to display TRUE unless your using it with a
compass. If this is the problem then I suspect you have never used your GPS
with a paper map to figure out where you are going:-)

Cheers Dave
Well, as many of you have pointed out, it was definitely the magnetic
bearing that was at fault. Actually, it was me who was at fault 8-))). And
as Dave also pointed out, I have never used my GPS with a paper map to
figure out where I was going. I did attend a compass & map class 15 years
ago but I really never had the chance to use what I had learn at the time.

After setting my GPS to show True North, everything is working as expected.

Now, if only I could find my way back to that road I saw a while back, I
could probably get home in time for supper !!! LOL

As always, thanks for your help and stay safe !

73 de VE2JPT

Jean-Pierre