Date   
Re: Putting call sign in APRS

merlin@...
 

Never mind. I got it!

Re: Putting call sign in APRS

Noel Seeley
 

What did you do? Please let us know so we can have a solution when we run into it again.

Thanks 
Noel K5NES



Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

Re: Putting call sign in APRS

merlin@...
 

Exactly what Ron said!

TM-D700A keyboard

Rahn
 

TM-D700A keyboard. I searched this group and came up with messages from years ago for W2FS interface between a keyboard and the TM-D700. I know these are old radios but I just picked up two more. I looked at Coastal Chips website and it doesn't look like they offer this anymore with no surprises since they are fairly old radios. Is there any other interface between keyboard and radio available? Do I just have to try to find one laying around? I am not that good with making things but I would even make a stab at trying to build something if someone has plans. 
73
Rahn Abbott
W7DOA

Re: TM-D700A keyboard

 

Search the internet or ham fests, I found two, and before you ask, sorry not parting with either! Just kidding of course but look they are out there and work great if you are a,slow typer, if you type at 100 wpm forget it, it gets lost!



Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

Re: TM-D700A keyboard

David Wagner
 

Hi Rahn.. Thought I had unsubscribed to this list when I gave my 700 to my daughter, but this must be serendipity! I do have one of the original W2FS interfaces that I no longer need. If you’re interested, please contact me. I even have a mini keyboard I’ll throw in. Also have the original instructions dated May 17, 2005. Have no way to test it now, but if it doesn’t work, full refund of course.

Dave in Springtown TX
K3LGM

On Nov 20, 2018, at 1049, Rahn <whiskey7doa@...> wrote:

TM-D700A keyboard. I searched this group and came up with messages from years ago for W2FS interface between a keyboard and the TM-D700. I know these are old radios but I just picked up two more. I looked at Coastal Chips website and it doesn't look like they offer this anymore with no surprises since they are fairly old radios. Is there any other interface between keyboard and radio available? Do I just have to try to find one laying around? I am not that good with making things but I would even make a stab at trying to build something if someone has plans. 
73
Rahn Abbott
W7DOA
_._,_._,_

710 head connection cable

Mel - N7GCO - Cheney, WA
 

The connecting cable from the head to the radio has exactly the same ends on it. Apparently on the 700 they were different. Does anyone know what able is needed for connecting the head to the radio? I only need a 3 or 4' cable.
Thanks

Re: 710 head connection cable

Rahn
 

I have never tried it but I would think a straight through networking cable should work. I wouldn't think there would be any losses on a cable that short. 
That is just a guess though. 
Rahn Abbott 
W7DOA 
73

On Sat, Dec 1, 2018, 22:04 Mel <teammel@... wrote:
The connecting cable from the head to the radio has exactly the same ends on it. Apparently on the 700 they were different. Does anyone know what able is needed for connecting the head to the radio? I only need a 3 or 4' cable.
Thanks

Re: 710 head connection cable

Larry Sampas
 

I have used a 5-foot straight-through UTP ethernet cable for years on a TM-D710A and for several months on a TM-D710G. A network tester shows the factory-supplied cable for the TM-D710G  is a straight-through unshielded cable. 

 Prior to that, I tried an ethernet coupler (RJ-45) and had an issue where APRS beacons would transmit on the other side. e.g. APRS set up on the A band and would TX on the B band. I reviewed my config, and everything looked correct, so I swapped the cable. I didn't have any more issues after that. 

Larry
KC3BBT


On Sun, Dec 2, 2018 at 10:14 AM Rahn <whiskey7doa@...> wrote:
I have never tried it but I would think a straight through networking cable should work. I wouldn't think there would be any losses on a cable that short. 
That is just a guess though. 
Rahn Abbott 
W7DOA 
73

On Sat, Dec 1, 2018, 22:04 Mel <teammel@... wrote:
The connecting cable from the head to the radio has exactly the same ends on it. Apparently on the 700 they were different. Does anyone know what able is needed for connecting the head to the radio? I only need a 3 or 4' cable.
Thanks

Visual Mobile Display

DanW4DOD
 

What are the recommendations for APRS map display with the 710G?

TNC ERROR - D710GA

Lee Besing
 

My 18 month old Kenwood TM-D710GA radio "decided" this past week that it didn't want to work in APRS12 TNC or PACKET TNC anymore.

I had never gotten around to using this radio in digital modes until I was getting ready for a large Ultra Run this weekend with nearly 1,000 runners.  We use RMS Express / Winlink packet to send CVS files (with runner bib numbers, times in & out) from 5 check points to net control.

I was able to get my TM-D700A working with 2 different cables (Null modem serial & RT Systems USB). But the RT Systems USB cable for the TM-D710GA appeared not to be working.  I wanted 2 radios working in case one failed. Redundancy. 2 laptops, 2 radios, 2 power supplies,  2 antennas, well you got my point.

So I bought another USB Data cable on eBay that turned out to be very similar to the RT Systems cable. It didn't work either.

Then suddenly the control head display started showing "TNC ERROR" any time I entered APRS or PACKET modes after status of "initializing TNC."

So, after trying a full reset at Kenwood tech support's advice, they asked me to send it in for repair.  They'll get it next Wednesday and we'll see what happens.

BTW, the run got relocated because of rainy weather affecting the trails and we're not going to be involved at the new location 150 miles west of here.  Oh well!

Re: TNC ERROR - D710GA

Mike Heskett WB5QLD
 

One cause of TNC Error message is a dead battery (very small ML-614) in the control head. Sometimes removing the battery for some period of time and replacing it will clear the error. If the battery is truly dead and will not take or hold a charge it will come back at some point.

I got ML-614 batteries from batterybob.com

Mike Heskett
WB5QLD

On Jan 5, 2019, at 3:01 AM, Lee Besing <@LBesing> wrote:

Online

Re: TNC ERROR - D710GA

Lee Besing
 

Thank you, Mike.  I've already shipped it off to Kenwood for evaluation and repair, so hopefully it will be inexpensive. But I will bookmark that website vendor just in case.


Lee Besing
210-771-7075
San Antonio TX


-----Original Message-----
From: Mike Heskett WB5QLD <wb5qld@...>
To: TMD700A@groups.io
Sent: Mon, 07 Jan 2019 12:30 AM
Subject: Re: [TMD700A] TNC ERROR - D710GA

One cause of TNC Error message is a dead battery (very small ML-614) in the control head. Sometimes removing the battery for some period of time and replacing it will clear the error. If the battery is truly dead and will not take or hold a charge it will come back at some point.

I got ML-614 batteries from batterybob.com

Mike Heskett
WB5QLD
> On Jan 5, 2019, at 3:01 AM, Lee Besing <lee@...> wrote:
>
> Online





Re: TNC ERROR - D710GA

Dennis Yard
 

I had the same issue with my then new (3 years ago) D710G and had to send it back three times before the service dept finally came to the conclusion that the battery holder had a bad solder joint.   Its worked fine since that was fixed. 



On Sunday, January 6, 2019, 09:48:15 PM PST, Lee Besing <lee@...> wrote:


My 18 month old Kenwood TM-D710GA radio "decided" this past week that it didn't want to work in APRS12 TNC or PACKET TNC anymore.

I had never gotten around to using this radio in digital modes until I was getting ready for a large Ultra Run this weekend with nearly 1,000 runners.  We use RMS Express / Winlink packet to send CVS files (with runner bib numbers, times in & out) from 5 check points to net control.

I was able to get my TM-D700A working with 2 different cables (Null modem serial & RT Systems USB). But the RT Systems USB cable for the TM-D710GA appeared not to be working.  I wanted 2 radios working in case one failed. Redundancy. 2 laptops, 2 radios, 2 power supplies,  2 antennas, well you got my point.

So I bought another USB Data cable on eBay that turned out to be very similar to the RT Systems cable. It didn't work either.

Then suddenly the control head display started showing "TNC ERROR" any time I entered APRS or PACKET modes after status of "initializing TNC."

So, after trying a full reset at Kenwood tech support's advice, they asked me to send it in for repair.  They'll get it next Wednesday and we'll see what happens.

BTW, the run got relocated because of rainy weather affecting the trails and we're not going to be involved at the new location 150 miles west of here.  Oh well!

Re: TNC ERROR - D710GA

Lee Besing
 

I received my Tm-d710ga back from Kenwood yesterday. $75 labor, $10.34 for the 2 batteries,  $19 return shipping costs.  Hmm, spent about $45 to ship it out there initially (w insurance), so about $150 overall in expenses.

The culprit was indeed the batteries (2) in the control head.

TM-D710G TNC Strange Output

Burt Wizeman <burt@...>
 

Hello,

I am new to this group.  I have been working several days on this problem. When I hookup either a Windows or Linux PC to the radio via a FTDI USB to Com cable, I get this dump when I switch to the TNC.  APRS Functions fine but I cannot seem to access the TNC for Winlink or via a terminal program beyond the intro lines and the c.
If I switch to APRS, I will see some of the commands I send to the TNC on the command line but nothing on the receive. Only some of the commands show up.
So, two separate OS and both display the same problem.  Any suggestions?

cmd:cmd:$GPRMC,222241.50,A,2721.47405,N,08229.63963,W,1.160,,290119,,,A*6A

$GPGGA,222241.50,2721.47405,N,08229.63963,W,1,06,2.04,9.2,M,-27.1,M,,*60

$GPGSA,A,3,08,23,27,09,07,11,,,,,,,3.84,2.04,3.25*0D

$GPGSV,3,1,09,04,42,304,32,07,33,319,25,08,75,141,38,09,56,281,32*78

$GPGSV,3,2,09,11,22,173,31,16,28,042,,18,14,151,,23,61,214,36*70

$GPGSV,3,3,09,27,57,056,35*42

$GPRMC,222242.00,A,2721.47421,N,08229.63947,W,0.221,,290119,,,A*6B

$GPGGA,222242.00,2721





Kenwood Radio Modem

AX.25 Level 2 Version 2.0

Release 09/Mar/11 3Chip ver 1.02

Checksum $1859

c

73,
Burt Wizeman
KI4FH

Re: TM-D710G TNC Strange Output

David Ranch
 

Hello Burt,

When you see strings like:
--
$GPGGA,222241.50,2721.47405,N,08229.63963,W,1,06,2.04,9.2,M,-27.1,M,,*60
--

you're seeing the GPS data string.  On the D74, you can turn this off by going into

   Menu --> GPS --> Basic Settings --> PC Output --> OFF


--David
KI6ZHD




On 01/29/2019 05:22 PM, Burt Wizeman wrote:
Hello,

I am new to this group.  I have been working several days on this problem. When I hookup either a Windows or Linux PC to the radio via a FTDI USB to Com cable, I get this dump when I switch to the TNC.  APRS Functions fine but I cannot seem to access the TNC for Winlink or via a terminal program beyond the intro lines and the c.
If I switch to APRS, I will see some of the commands I send to the TNC on the command line but nothing on the receive. Only some of the commands show up.
So, two separate OS and both display the same problem.  Any suggestions?

cmd:cmd:$GPRMC,222241.50,A,2721.47405,N,08229.63963,W,1.160,,290119,,,A*6A

$GPGGA,222241.50,2721.47405,N,08229.63963,W,1,06,2.04,9.2,M,-27.1,M,,*60

$GPGSA,A,3,08,23,27,09,07,11,,,,,,,3.84,2.04,3.25*0D

$GPGSV,3,1,09,04,42,304,32,07,33,319,25,08,75,141,38,09,56,281,32*78

$GPGSV,3,2,09,11,22,173,31,16,28,042,,18,14,151,,23,61,214,36*70

$GPGSV,3,3,09,27,57,056,35*42

$GPRMC,222242.00,A,2721.47421,N,08229.63947,W,0.221,,290119,,,A*6B

$GPGGA,222242.00,2721





Kenwood Radio Modem

AX.25 Level 2 Version 2.0

Release 09/Mar/11 3Chip ver 1.02

Checksum $1859

c

73,
Burt Wizeman
KI4FH


Re: TM-D710G TNC Strange Output

Burt Wizeman <burt@...>
 

Thanks David!  Upon looking at it I noticed some late and long data. I wonder if that is in the buffer from APRS.  


From: TMD700A@groups.io <TMD700A@groups.io> on behalf of David Ranch <tmd710@...>
Sent: Wednesday, January 30, 2019 10:54:50 AM
To: TMD700A@groups.io
Subject: Re: [TMD700A] TM-D710G TNC Strange Output
 
Hello Burt,

When you see strings like:
--
$GPGGA,222241.50,2721.47405,N,08229.63963,W,1,06,2.04,9.2,M,-27.1,M,,*60
--

you're seeing the GPS data string.  On the D74, you can turn this off by going into

   Menu --> GPS --> Basic Settings --> PC Output --> OFF


--David
KI6ZHD




On 01/29/2019 05:22 PM, Burt Wizeman wrote:
Hello,

I am new to this group.  I have been working several days on this problem. When I hookup either a Windows or Linux PC to the radio via a FTDI USB to Com cable, I get this dump when I switch to the TNC.  APRS Functions fine but I cannot seem to access the TNC for Winlink or via a terminal program beyond the intro lines and the c.
If I switch to APRS, I will see some of the commands I send to the TNC on the command line but nothing on the receive. Only some of the commands show up.
So, two separate OS and both display the same problem.  Any suggestions?

cmd:cmd:$GPRMC,222241.50,A,2721.47405,N,08229.63963,W,1.160,,290119,,,A*6A

$GPGGA,222241.50,2721.47405,N,08229.63963,W,1,06,2.04,9.2,M,-27.1,M,,*60

$GPGSA,A,3,08,23,27,09,07,11,,,,,,,3.84,2.04,3.25*0D

$GPGSV,3,1,09,04,42,304,32,07,33,319,25,08,75,141,38,09,56,281,32*78

$GPGSV,3,2,09,11,22,173,31,16,28,042,,18,14,151,,23,61,214,36*70

$GPGSV,3,3,09,27,57,056,35*42

$GPRMC,222242.00,A,2721.47421,N,08229.63947,W,0.221,,290119,,,A*6B

$GPGGA,222242.00,2721





Kenwood Radio Modem

AX.25 Level 2 Version 2.0

Release 09/Mar/11 3Chip ver 1.02

Checksum $1859

c

73,
Burt Wizeman
KI4FH


Re: TM-D710G TNC Strange Output

Jess Haas
 

Are you by any chance plugged into the gps port (the little headphone jack looking one on the side)? The com port on the back of the heqd is what you want.

-Jess
K5LLI

On Tue, Jan 29, 2019, 6:16 PM Burt Wizeman <burt@... wrote:
Hello,

I am new to this group.  I have been working several days on this problem. When I hookup either a Windows or Linux PC to the radio via a FTDI USB to Com cable, I get this dump when I switch to the TNC.  APRS Functions fine but I cannot seem to access the TNC for Winlink or via a terminal program beyond the intro lines and the c.
If I switch to APRS, I will see some of the commands I send to the TNC on the command line but nothing on the receive. Only some of the commands show up.
So, two separate OS and both display the same problem.  Any suggestions?

cmd:cmd:$GPRMC,222241.50,A,2721.47405,N,08229.63963,W,1.160,,290119,,,A*6A

$GPGGA,222241.50,2721.47405,N,08229.63963,W,1,06,2.04,9.2,M,-27.1,M,,*60

$GPGSA,A,3,08,23,27,09,07,11,,,,,,,3.84,2.04,3.25*0D

$GPGSV,3,1,09,04,42,304,32,07,33,319,25,08,75,141,38,09,56,281,32*78

$GPGSV,3,2,09,11,22,173,31,16,28,042,,18,14,151,,23,61,214,36*70

$GPGSV,3,3,09,27,57,056,35*42

$GPRMC,222242.00,A,2721.47421,N,08229.63947,W,0.221,,290119,,,A*6B

$GPGGA,222242.00,2721





Kenwood Radio Modem

AX.25 Level 2 Version 2.0

Release 09/Mar/11 3Chip ver 1.02

Checksum $1859

c

73,
Burt Wizeman
KI4FH

Re: TM-D710G TNC Strange Output

Burt Wizeman <burt@...>
 

Thanks Jess..I am plugged into the com port on the head.  So I get GPS data in TNC mode fbut I did switch from APRS to TNC so possibly some GPS data in a buffer.


From: TMD700A@groups.io <TMD700A@groups.io> on behalf of Jess Haas <km6gvw@...>
Sent: Wednesday, January 30, 2019 7:42:21 PM
To: TMD700A@groups.io
Subject: Re: [TMD700A] TM-D710G TNC Strange Output
 
Are you by any chance plugged into the gps port (the little headphone jack looking one on the side)? The com port on the back of the heqd is what you want.

-Jess
K5LLI

On Tue, Jan 29, 2019, 6:16 PM Burt Wizeman <burt@... wrote:
Hello,

I am new to this group.  I have been working several days on this problem. When I hookup either a Windows or Linux PC to the radio via a FTDI USB to Com cable, I get this dump when I switch to the TNC.  APRS Functions fine but I cannot seem to access the TNC for Winlink or via a terminal program beyond the intro lines and the c.
If I switch to APRS, I will see some of the commands I send to the TNC on the command line but nothing on the receive. Only some of the commands show up.
So, two separate OS and both display the same problem.  Any suggestions?

cmd:cmd:$GPRMC,222241.50,A,2721.47405,N,08229.63963,W,1.160,,290119,,,A*6A

$GPGGA,222241.50,2721.47405,N,08229.63963,W,1,06,2.04,9.2,M,-27.1,M,,*60

$GPGSA,A,3,08,23,27,09,07,11,,,,,,,3.84,2.04,3.25*0D

$GPGSV,3,1,09,04,42,304,32,07,33,319,25,08,75,141,38,09,56,281,32*78

$GPGSV,3,2,09,11,22,173,31,16,28,042,,18,14,151,,23,61,214,36*70

$GPGSV,3,3,09,27,57,056,35*42

$GPRMC,222242.00,A,2721.47421,N,08229.63947,W,0.221,,290119,,,A*6B

$GPGGA,222242.00,2721





Kenwood Radio Modem

AX.25 Level 2 Version 2.0

Release 09/Mar/11 3Chip ver 1.02

Checksum $1859

c

73,
Burt Wizeman
KI4FH