From: Jim Murray <james31@m...>
Date: Sun Jul 9, 2000 10:39am
Subject: Re: Rand Mcnally GPS

Just did this yesterday.
Bought the Rand McNally at Best Buy for $79 and they printed out a rebate
form for $20 at check-out, not a bad deal.
Since I did not wish to use the GPS with a laptop, I cut the bottom section
of the GPS cable off, leaving a single cable going to the GPS unit.

The R/M GPS Unit has 4 internal connections going to the cable with three
wires and a shield:

White Wire - Data Out (Connect to Red Wire on the Kenwood 2.5 mm GPS Jack)
Yellow Wire - Data In (Connect to White Wire on the Kenwood 2.5 mm GPS Jack)
Black Wire/Shield - Ground/Shield (Connect to Shield on the Kenwood 2.5 mm
GPS Jack)

Red Wire - 5VDC from PS/2 Port
Ground from PS/2 Port (Connect to Shield on the Kenwood 2.5 mm GPS Jack)

You will need to provide 5VDC to the Red wire that normally got it's voltage
from the PS2 port. I wired a 7805 voltage regulator to a lighter jack and it
got a bit warmer than I expected it would. It is now external to the jack on
a small heatsink while I figure out the next step. Maybe there is enough
room in the GPS unit for the regulator. In any case, it seems to work well
so far.

Jim Murray KC5QWG