Re: Rand Mcnally GPS

Jim Murray <james31@...>

Just did this yesterday.
Bought the Rand McNally at Best Buy for $79 and they printed out a rebate
form for $20 at check-out, not a bad deal.
Since I did not wish to use the GPS with a laptop, I cut the bottom section
of the GPS cable off, leaving a single cable going to the GPS unit.

The R/M GPS Unit has 4 internal connections going to the cable with three
wires and a shield:

White Wire - Data Out (Connect to Red Wire on the Kenwood 2.5 mm GPS Jack)
Yellow Wire - Data In (Connect to White Wire on the Kenwood 2.5 mm GPS Jack)
Black Wire/Shield - Ground/Shield (Connect to Shield on the Kenwood 2.5 mm
GPS Jack)

Red Wire - 5VDC from PS/2 Port
Ground from PS/2 Port (Connect to Shield on the Kenwood 2.5 mm GPS Jack)

You will need to provide 5VDC to the Red wire that normally got it's voltage
from the PS2 port. I wired a 7805 voltage regulator to a lighter jack and it
got a bit warmer than I expected it would. It is now external to the jack on
a small heatsink while I figure out the next step. Maybe there is enough
room in the GPS unit for the regulator. In any case, it seems to work well
so far.

Jim Murray KC5QWG

Anyone know how to interface the Rand Mcnally GPS unit the TMD700?

Any information would be appreciated.

Regards,
Mark Titterington, KB2EGB

Free Conference Calling with Firetalk!