Re: How to use internal tnc D710GA

Joseph LaFerla

Hi David

Thank you  very much for your reply.  Thankfully I think I am now on my way thanks to you and others on the list.  I am using YAAC and according to the manual the Kenwood port on the program can only receive packets, which I am able to do.  The program provides an alternative serial port which you can use with the radio in packet12 mode and Kiss on the serial port.  I am using the D710 as a base station; I guess if I had it mounted in my car, then I would put it in aprs12 mode and it would be able to receive and transmit packets.  I now see the difference.

I bought the D710 used and it did not come with the original cd which contains basic but important setup information and I could not find the cd files on the Kenwood website. The other day further googling enabled me to find them and guess what, in the packet section it clearly mentions the 9 pin serial port on the control head!  Anyway, now I am glad that I found the cd files.  I was surprised that they are not prominently contained in the kenwood site. 

Thanks again.

Joe VA#JLF

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: November 9, 2020 1:11 AM
To: TMD700A@groups.io
Subject: Re: [TMD700A] How to use internal tnc D710GA

Hello Joe,

The APRS12 mode on a D710 can definitely transmit but only the TNC will create the required packets for position, objects, and even be a digipeater.  If you're looking for your computer-based program to be the packet creator, then yes, you'll want the D710 to be in PACKET12 mode to have the program put the D710's TNC into "KISS" mode or leave the TNC in COMMAND mode and use it in a hybrid way.

If you can tell us the program you're wanting to use and what you're trying to do, we can help you more.

--David
KI6ZHD

On 11/08/2020 07:12 PM, Joseph LaFerla wrote:

Thanks David.  You explained this perfectly for me and I now have got the 710 working as it should.  Regarding the aprs mode, I understand that I am only able to read packets but cannot transmit.  The only way to transmit is to use the packet12.

Joe

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: November 7, 2020 6:01 PM
To: TMD700A@groups.io
Subject: Re: [TMD700A] How to use internal tnc D710GA

Hello Joe,

The serial connection on the back of the main radio body of a D710 is for programming the memories of the radio, to be used with Echolink, and also use the working-but-not-Kenwood-supported CAT control.   It's the connector on the back of the D710 head that is used for packet work.

Once you connect to the D710's head, use a serial terminal program like say Putty running at a serial speed of 9600bps, 8 data bits, 1 stop bit, no parity, tap the lower right soft-key on the D710's control head labeled "TNC" until the Upper left of the display says "PACKET12".  At that point, you should see the TNC boot up in your serial terminal program.  That will prove that things are at least talking.  From there, you can start configuring your APRS program.  It's also worth mentioning that the D710 has it's own internal APRS functionality that's enabled by putting the TNC into "APRS12" mode using the "TNC" soft-key mentioned above.

If your interested in trying classic packet as well, I have a cheatsheet below:

http://www.trinityos.com/HAM/CentosDigitalModes/misc/D710-TNC-setup.txt

--David
KI6ZHD

On 11/07/2020 01:53 PM, Joseph LaFerla wrote:

Hi

I have just obtained a D710GA and am trying to use the internal tnc to do aprs. Can someone help me with how to connect the radio to the computer which runs my aprs software?  I have the kenwood provided serial cable that plugs into the 9 pin mini din on the back of the main body of the radio (not the control head).  When I tune the radio, I can hear the packets coming in but nothing shows up on the computer.  I have activated the internal tnc and tried it in both aprs mode and packet mode with no difference.  I am able to connect an external tnc to the data port and that works fine.

Thanks in advance

Joe VA3JLF

Join TMD700A@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.