Re: D700 or D710?

Lee Besing

I have the D710AG model and the GPS is built into the remote control head. As long as you stick it up on the dash or somewhere it has access to the GPS signal, there is no extra GPS antenna to install or mount.

Lee Besing
210-771-7075
San Antonio TX

-----Original Message-----
To: TMD700A@groups.io, Ralph Milnes <ralphmilnes@...>
Sent: Tue, 11 Aug 2020 10:06 AM
Subject: Re: [TMD700A] D700 or D710?

I have both a TM-D700A (currently installed mobile) and a D710A (not yet installed).

Wire-wise, the 710 does not appear to be substantially different than the 700A,

EXCEPT,

If you buy the 710GA (or 710AG, whatever it is), with the built-in GPS, then would seem to simplify the GPS part of the installation.  Rather than have to mount and run GPS wires separately, I guess you only have to place the rig's GPS antenna appropriately and then run the GPS antenna wire back to the main body. 

Not having to fool with a separate GPS receiver would seem to be a plus.

Just my .02 worth.

Larry J. Ford
K4AEC

------ Original Message ------
Received: 10:53 AM EDT, 08/11/2020
To: TMD700A@groups.io
Subject: [TMD700A] D700 or D710?

I’m looking for advice concerning a choice between my old D700 and a new D710.  

I'm getting a new car and plan to install one of these 2 radios in it. The D700 still works fine, so I could use it. But would the D710 be better?

in the last car, I put the radio body in an underfloor rear storage compartment. I pulled power from a nearby fuse box and ran mic, speaker and control head wires under the carpet to the driver’s seat area, where I had installed the control head. I ran antenna feed and GPS wires out the rear hatch. It all worked well and made for a tidy/hidden install, but it was quite a bit of work to run and hide all the wires/cables. 

I’m wondering if a new D710 might be easier to install and just as tidy in the next car (SUV). Any thoughts?

Ralph NM5RM

Join TMD700A@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.