Re: D700 or D710?

Larry J. Ford K4AEC

I have both a TM-D700A (currently installed mobile) and a D710A (not yet installed).

Wire-wise, the 710 does not appear to be substantially different than the 700A,

EXCEPT,

If you buy the 710GA (or 710AG, whatever it is), with the built-in GPS, then would seem to simplify the GPS part of the installation.  Rather than have to mount and run GPS wires separately, I guess you only have to place the rig's GPS antenna appropriately and then run the GPS antenna wire back to the main body. 

Not having to fool with a separate GPS receiver would seem to be a plus.

Just my .02 worth.

Larry J. Ford
K4AEC

------ Original Message ------
Received: 10:53 AM EDT, 08/11/2020
To: TMD700A@groups.io
Subject: [TMD700A] D700 or D710?

I’m looking for advice concerning a choice between my old D700 and a new D710.  

I'm getting a new car and plan to install one of these 2 radios in it. The D700 still works fine, so I could use it. But would the D710 be better?

in the last car, I put the radio body in an underfloor rear storage compartment. I pulled power from a nearby fuse box and ran mic, speaker and control head wires under the carpet to the driver’s seat area, where I had installed the control head. I ran antenna feed and GPS wires out the rear hatch. It all worked well and made for a tidy/hidden install, but it was quite a bit of work to run and hide all the wires/cables. 

I’m wondering if a new D710 might be easier to install and just as tidy in the next car (SUV). Any thoughts?

Ralph NM5RM

Join TMD700A@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.