TMD710 APRS Problems

John McNelly <jkailimcnelly@...>

Hi All,
I have an Arduino set up with a TNC for APRS position reporting and messaging.  I am getting messages that look like this:

KK6NQK-11>APRS,Wide2-1:@2400.00N/12100.00EO1/F=NO00/A=0.0

I am trying to have this interpreted as a mobile station with a balloon icon, GPS coordinates 2400.00N, 12100.00E.  The F= and A= stuff is GPS fix and altitude info that I am appending to the end of the packet as the status.

However, when I view my packets on the D710 station list, it shows up as “COMPRESS” and looks like this:http://i.imgur.com/jYlCnlU.jpg

Why isn’t the correct symbol displayed, and how can I get the D710 to show me the GPS coordinates of my tracker?  I am trying to use this to track a weather balloon we are launching for school on Tuesday, and the D710 is my best hope of decoding the APRS packets to find out the balloon’s location and track it down.  I could always read packets off of P.MON, but with heavy APRS traffic it would make things much more difficult than if the coordinates were just displayed on the station list.

Thanks!
John