Re: TM-D700A Freezes

Doug Alderdice

I still have and use my original D700's separation cable and it's been used in several different vehicles, but I had to replace the control head end connector after a fairly short period of time, might've been two years maybe three at the most. Fortunately it didn't short it just became intermittent, but it wasn't being subjected to hard use. A local ham friend who has a D700 bought the same day as mine had to also replace the same connector on his cable around the same time as mine went. Maybe they had a bad run of cables or something. It's been fine since.

73,

Doug, KA2WFT

At 07:25 AM 7/24/2014 -0500, Jim K5JG k5jg@... [TMD700A] wrote:
My TMD-700A is 15-1/2 years old and is now in it's 5th vehicle using the
original separation cable. I've not had any problem with the modular
connectors on that cable or the one on the mic cable in all that time.

I worked for a ham radio dealer for over 11 years and, contrary to
popular belief, we almost never saw problems with modular connectors or
the "wimpy" separation cables. When we did, it was typically because
they had been abused or improperly installed.

73, Jim K5JG

'Jim Shorney' @NU0C [TMD700A] wrote:
I consider wimpy cables and modular "RJ" connectors marketed for the mobile
environment to be a manufacturing defect.

73

-Jim
NU0C