Re: packet

John K9IJ <john@...>

At 01:03 AM 1/25/2010, you wrote:
One other thing I wanted to tell you is that I
have everything set on 9600 baud presently. I
try to set it all to 1200 baud and things
"don't" happen and I get gibberish or computer
stops talking to TNC etc. If the data I hear is
being broadcast at 1200, is that why I can't see
it? Like last night 5050 was just going to town
and I had a good strong signal, but nothing. O well good night.
There are two different data rates to be aware of.

The first is the data rate between the computer
and the radio/tnc. That should be 9600 baud.

The second is the data rate on the packet network
itself. That can be either 1200 or 9600. In most cases, it's 1200.
There's a limited amount of 9600b packet going
on in some parts of the country, but mostly it's 1200.

So your settings should be 9600 between the
computer and the radio/tnc, and 1200 selected for a packet data rate.

John

At 10:24 PM 1/24/2010, you wrote:
Thanks John, so yes it's communicating but why
did it not understand the command?
There is a startup script for the TMD-700 in the
scripts folder. The first command it sends is

AI 1 ( not AI, AI 1 )

Take a look at the script. You should be able to
run the script from the Scripts menu item in Winpack.
Try running Scripts:Play a script:TMD-700 initialization

John - K9IJ

At 09:46 PM 1/24/2010, you wrote:
Ok, first of all, thank you guys for jumping in
to try and get me going. The following is my setup.
1. Computer, in device manager / ports
(com/lpt), communication port set to 9600, port (com 1)
2. Software: Winpack V6.80
   a: baud rate set atÃt at 9600
3. TNC
   a: Aux 1-9-5 (com port) ort) = 9600
   b: Aux 1-9-6 (data speedspeed) = 9600
4. TNC Packet , TNC on
Now to address the serial stream. I tried the
AI, AI 1 at the command prompt but I get a
return of   š  ?EH then back to cmd: so
I don't know if it's on or off.

So what is ?EH, hey this is getting more fun.
Soooooo what do you think? thanks again
?EH means that you sent a command to the TNC that it did not understand.

In a way, it's a good sign, in that the
indication is that you're successfully talking to the TNC.
-

John Rice K9IJ
john@k9ij.net
Webmaster, Network Admin, Janitor