Re: Serial cable question

Benny Miller <bmiller@...>

Steve - K9DCI,

I'll try to address one at a time. I've used Vista and the general display
from device manager is what I was referring to.

1. Well sort of. In your #A it shows 8 USB root hubs. These can be internal
hubs on a chip and could of course be 1 USB port per hub.

2. My intention on this one was if you always wanted the UCB to Serial Port
Adapter to show up the same way every time would to physically plug them in,
in the same order. Of course if you had shutdown the computer and restarted
it that would be unnecessary as things will come back usually the way they
were. This only pertains to it you moved the computer and unplugged the
ports and then cam back and re-inserted the ports. My laptop which is XP has
2 USB ports in the rear and one on the side. I have 2 internal ROOT USB
Hubs. If I plug the USB to serial adapter on either one of the rear
connectors it comes up as COM7, if I plug it in the side it comes up as
COM5. This is sort of what I was trying to get at.

3. Yes Device Manager is what I was indicating. When you expand ports and
you plug in a new USB serial adapter the O/S should automatically recognize
the plug-in device and try to install the new hardware or try recognize it
was plugged in and assign it a COM port number, sometimes different numbers
according to which internal USB ROOT Hub it was -plugged into. My Father had
a Gateway and using Vista Ultimate and this was how it would respond but
once in awhile it would assign the COM port correctly, which I just figured
was wired to the same internal ROOT HUB, much like if not exactly like my XP
Laptop.

4. Yes the port will only show up when it is plugged in and has had its
drivers loaded or installed.

Ben ARS w4qed

Quod erat demonstrandum!
That which was to be demonstrated!