Re: Serial cable question

np3od

Hi,

Although I agree with you that is best to have a real serial port in the computer instead of a USB to Serial Adapter, with todays computers that is something very hard; specially with consumer oriented market laptops. Now about my experience with the USB to Serial adapters has been that some work, some do not work well (or none at all).

Basically he just has to hope that his USB to Serial Adapter works. Seems that not all manufacturers implement the USB to Serial logic right to the full specs of the original serial. And just because you have a big brand name in the adapter, does not give any warranty that it will work. I have not worked with the belkin brand USB to Serial Adapters, but have heard of lots of amateur having problems with that model in specific with many things like TNC, Sound Card Adapters and/or Serial Programming interfaces with radios.

Another thing he has to make sure is to have the correct and latest driver of that USB to Serial Adapter to minimize chance of incompatibility with the radio.

Thanks,

Francisco
NP3OD

--- In TMD700A@..., Joe Pistritto <jcp@...> wrote:

My experience here is that doesnt work with the programming software for
the TMD700A

I had to get a *real* serial cable and hook it up to a real serial port
(ie. all 9 pins straight through).
a USB serial adapter would not work.

Now, i've done the other thing when i just wanted to run WinAPRS or
something with the radio, but if you're going to use a connection for
programming, its best if its a real serial port.
-jcp-

Billy Mason (E-Lists) wrote:
One could get the appropriate gender RJ45 to Serial Adapters and connect
them with a standard network (Ethernet) cable. A very simple and compact
way to make your own serial cables. Mix and match the genders of the
adapters and can cover all bases.

Regards,

Billy Mason, KD5KNR

Bedford, TX