TLARC meeting this Wednesday; dinner at 5:30 at Tanasi

David Andrews

Folks,

The situation with the Coronavirus and recommendations from the CDC and Governors offices continue to reinforce the need for special precautions regarding group gatherings. The Tennessee Health Department asks the community to consider carefully the implications of holding meetings or events involving large numbers of people, especially if the group is likely to include high-risk individuals. All medically fragile citizens should avoid crowds and take other actions to protect their health.

High-risk individuals are defined as adults over 60 years old or people of any age with serious chronic medical conditions such as: Heart disease, diabetes, or lung disease.

With this in mind, if you fall into the high risk category, as many of our members do, I recommend you head this advice.

We still plan on meeting at Tanasi Bar & Grill for dinner, followed by our regular monthly meeting at the Chota Rec Center.

Sam Howard KV4XY will teach us everything we need to know about WSPR. According to Wikipedia, WSPR (pronounced "whisper") stands for "Weak Signal Propagation Reporter". It is a protocol, implemented in a computer program, used for weak-signal radio communication between amateur radio operators. The protocol was designed, and a program written initially, by Joe Taylor, K1JT. Software is now open source and is developed by a small team. The program is designed for sending and receiving low-power transmissions to test propagation paths on the MF and HF bands.

Sam will also be providing dessert for the meeting. Mark your calendar for the March 18th SAMFEST. IT promises to be a good time.

Jim Anderson <jimk0rgi@...>

Hi, David and all TLARC members and friends.

Thanks for the timely reminder. As someone who falls into one of the high-risk categories, I'll take this opportunity to wish everyone good health and I'll see everyone again at a future meeting.

On a lighter note, this was posted on another group I follow. You may substitute your preferred mode and power level to suit your operating preference.

It has been determined that communicating via CW on ham radio has exactly ZERO chance of spreading germs. Even large gatherings, called nets, are being encouraged and they may be operated with ZERO fear. Experts do suggest you wipe the grin off your face after each successful QRP CW QSO, however continued grinning has only been proven to increase joy in the hobby.

73, Jim - K0RGI

On Mon, Mar 16, 2020, 2:22 PM David Andrews <n1esk1@...> wrote:

[...]

Juan Lopez

TLARC Leadership,

Please consider broadcasting the WSPR Program on Facebook live for thismeeting.

Juan
AC6ZM

[...]

WK9M

I looked up some alternatives to Facebook; I'm not a fan myself but I know that FB works for many people.

Zoom.us has a basic/free account covers 100 participants up to 40 minutes.
https://zoom.us/pricing

freeconferencecall.com is up to 1,000 participants and a 6 hour maximum.  Also free; can "contribute" if you feel like it at some future date.
https://www.freeconferencecall.com/support

Skype is free up to 50 people and they state no signups are required.
https://www.skype.com/en/free-conference-call/

The repeater meeting sounds fun; hope to "see" you all there soon.  :)

'73,
Randy

On 3/16/2020 6:53 PM, Juan Lopez wrote:
[...]

Zoom is very nice - it's used for the CW Academy classes. I've used a variety of others in my work life and, as long as the 100 user and 40 minute session limit in the free version isn't an issue, I think that Zoom is top shelf. Highly recommended!

73, Jim - K0RGI

On Mon, Mar 16, 2020, 8:31 PM WK9M <randykgm@...> wrote:
[...]

I vote for Sam to do his WSPR presentation on Zoom. He can share his screen, no email required to login like skype. What say you Sam?

[...]

George N2APB

I’ve used Zoom while working remotely every day for last 10 years (ended last June!) and it’s obviously effective and the best way to go for our group. All someone needs to do is send others a link (and pwd) for their Zoom Room and we individually log into that room. Once the room owner is present, screen control can be passed over to any one of us who wish to show their screen and have cursor control.

I’ll be attending this Zoom meeting if I’m able to get back in the country again. (Flying home this afternoon, we hope.)

73, George

PS: Zoom meetings can be recorded for later playback, if desired. This feature may only be available to a Zoom subscriber (Juan?) and not to a free Zoom users like the rest of us. Other nice features also present if a Zoom subscriber hosts the ‘room’.

On Mar 17, 2020, at 7:38 AM, Juan Lopez <jloz34@...> wrote:

[...]

John Haskell

Just email or post the slides.  Presentation can take place on the repeater.  Much easier for most.

George N2APB

Great idea John!  Can actually do both - those want to hop on Zoom to see the live action can do it, while others can see their local copy of the slides and listen along as Sam talks on repeater (with multiple drops to prevent timeout.)

Sam, as far as ‘live Zoom’ benefit,  I’m thinking that you can have the WSPR app (WSJT-X) Live on the same computer on which you are using Zoom. This you will be able to switch windows to show the slides, or your live WSPR screen, or your face, or even point the camera to show other equipment you have in use during the live action. Could be pretty cool.

George

On Mar 17, 2020, at 9:04 AM, John Haskell via Groups.Io <jasm2213@...> wrote:

Just email or post the slides.  Presentation can take place on the repeater.  Much easier for most.

So......what did everybody decide to use?!?

Ben Poff

Just added ZOOM to my toolbox ... how do I get to the meeting (link? invite?).

Ben
Ben Poff, EMS-LA
Lead Auditor ISO 14001 - Environmental Consultant
Green Canoe Solutions
Loudon, TN 37774
(865) 657-9712  Office/Home
(865) 440-6139  Cell

On Mar 17, 2020, at 9:04 AM, John Haskell via Groups.Io <jasm2213=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Just email or post the slides.  Presentation can take place on the repeater.  Much easier for most.

Jim Anderson <kzerorgi@...>

The link will have to be posted by the presenter - if indeed we'll be using ZOOM this evening. I haven't heard any additional so perhaps it will just be a directed net.

73, Jim - K0RGI

Ben Poff

Appreciate that Jim!!!

73