Topics

"TLARC Field Nuts" first outing a success!

George N2APB

By most measures, the first organized outing of the TLARC Field Nuts this sunny-yet-chilly afternoon was a resounding success!

Five members of our club gathered at the Tellico Dam Overlook (officially called Fort Loudoun Dam, I think?) and activated two stations on the gently-sloping grassy hill overlooking the lake side of the dam and power generation facility.  One station operated CW on 40 meters using an FT-817 QRP rig and an "Alex Loop".  The second station operated 40 meter SSB using an Execraft KX3 and a PAC-12 loaded vertical antenna.

This was a "test run" by the Field Nuts, who met earlier in the eek to plan location, equipment and band plans.  From this test we learned (at least) ...
- Dress warmly .. especially the hand operating the paddle!  A hood is essential.
- Good chair for comfortable long-term-yet-portable sitting
- Advertising the band presence in advance is essential:  QRPSPOTS, activation announcements on the lists, etc,
- Something to hold p the antennas in the wind
- Test gear of some sort to help determine what's not working
- Duct tape, screwdrivers, DVM and something to drink

Three of our contacts were notable:  EA8 (spain), VA7 (Pacific NW Canada) and VE1 (NE Canada).  It's a start!

The next outing for the TLARC Field Nuts is planned to be at Fort Loudoun ... What a backdrop the Fort will make!

See a few photos here, and more to come on www.tlarc.org.  Hope you can join us on our next adventure!

73,
George N2APB, Juan AC6ZM, Jim K0RGI, David KF4DKW and Randy WK9M

Juan Lopez

George,

What kind of keyer was on your rig?

Best Regards,
Juan
Galaxy S9

[...]

More Field Nuts in their natural habitat at Ft. Loudon Dam today!  (See attached of Jim K0RGI in the SSB position, and Juan AC6ZM playing with the paddle in his lap.)

And that keyer was built into the FT-817, Juan.  Weighting ratio of 1:1.3 ... nice, eh?!

72, George N2APB

PS:  "72" is the "best regards" sign-off for QRPers ... "Just a little bit less than the traditional 73 for full power QSOs" ... and more than enough to get the job done. ;-)