Topics

Need recommendations for local "shops" to purchase basic ham radio supplies ...

Ben Poff

Hey everybody! Hope y'all are having a great day on this sunny Saturday. Suddenly finding myself in need of a local source of "bench supplies" (not sure what else to call them). I've used some of the online sources (ie., DX Engineering, GigaParts, etc.), but I'm figuring that there has to be some place locally in the greater Knoxville area where folks can purchase basic stuff ... coax cable, various adapters, plugs, soldering supplies, etc.

My first thought was find the closest Radio Shack ... are they even around anymore? I am aware of a "hobby" shop up in Turkey Creek, but I haven't been in there in ages so I can't remember if they had any ham stuff.

So, after the chuckling over the new guy's question subsides, and you can type ... I would be most appreciative for your knowledge download.

73
Ben - KN4VIF

Brent Martin

Ben: I haven’t been there for a while so you might want to call but Masons Furniture in Madisonville had a basic Radio Shack in it for the staple kinds of stuff. Brent

Sent from AT&T Yahoo Mail for iPhone

On Saturday, May 9, 2020, 12:49 PM, Ben Poff <piscator359@...> wrote:

[...]

Jim Anderson

Hi, Ben. I haven't needed to buy anything locally since moving here, so I'm not familiar with any shops that might carry those types of things. I have seen rather large collections of CB merchandise at truck stops, so you might get lucky if you go out to the Watt Road interchange off of I-75 and see what Pilot or one of the others have to offer.

Good sized hamfests usually have a vendor or two that sells those types of items. Tower Electronics is one that I've seen at many different places. The Knoxville hamfest is coming up soon - if they decide to hold it. Sam may know more about that as he recently forwarded a questionnaire from them about attendance. With Dayton cancelled, the next big one within reasonable distance from here is Huntsville in August. They still show as planning to be open but we'll see.

On Sat, May 9, 2020 at 12:45 PM Ben Poff <piscator359@...> wrote:
[...]

Tom Badgett

Ben,

Nearest thing to what you are looking for is shields electronics, west Knoxville on middle brook pike. Professional electric and electronics.  I’ve used them for years.
https://www.shieldselectronics.com/

There is a RadioShack apparently on North Broadway but RS has gone downhill over the years. More like cell phone shack.

There’s another place I’ve never used:

Good luck.

Tom
K4NOX

Gary Stickel

I “second” Shields. It’s not HRO by any means, but they do carry a lot of electronic parts. I’ve lived here 14 years, and it’s the “only game in town“ that I have been able to find.
73
Gary K4RQT
 --------------

On May 9, 2020, at 1:40 PM, Tom Badgett <k4nox@...> wrote:

Ben,

Nearest thing to what you are looking for is shields electronics, west Knoxville on middle brook pike. Professional electric and electronics.  I’ve used them for years.
https://www.shieldselectronics.com/

There is a RadioShack apparently on North Broadway but RS has gone downhill over the years. More like cell phone shack.

There’s another place I’ve never used:

Good luck.

Tom
K4NOX

michael J. foley

Hi Ben,

Like many others have said, Shields Electronics on Middlebrook Road in Knoxville is about the only place local that you'll find coax, connectors, etc. but be prepared for sticker shock!

I recommend that you check some of the local Hamfests, Knoxville Hamfests is coming up in June, plus several others in the area. If you get a chance, go to Huntsville to the Hamfest there. They have everything there, plus all of the major manufacturers of ham gear.

You might check with the Dixie Trader's Net on 145.370 PL 100 Friday nights to list what you need. Somebody local may have what you are looking for.  (Just another thought)

Most everything I have/need, I get from HRO OR DXEngeering. Both have FAST delivery ( usually 2 days ).

I have a few tools here that will help you prep your coax for connectors. Just song out if I can help you.

K4MJF

Greg Wilde AE4GW .- . ....- --. .--

That Elliot Electronic Supply is evidently in Tucson, Arizona. I had never heard of them in Knoxville so I had to look them up.

Thanks for the info on Shields. They are not far from my North Knoxville office. That will give me an excuse to go to that office more. I'll have to check it out.
Greg

On Sat, May 9, 2020, 1:40 PM Tom Badgett <k4nox@...> wrote:
Ben,

Nearest thing to what you are looking for is shields electronics, west Knoxville on middle brook pike. Professional electric and electronics.  I’ve used them for years.
https://www.shieldselectronics.com/

There is a RadioShack apparently on North Broadway but RS has gone downhill over the years. More like cell phone shack.

There’s another place I’ve never used:

Good luck.

Tom
K4NOX

Greg Wilde
KO4CYX
423-333-6358

Gary Stickel

I wonder if any of the other ham clubs in this region (Knoxville?) know of any other sources for ham gear or electronics supplies?
Anyone have contacts there?

G --------------

On May 9, 2020, at 2:01 PM, Gary Stickel <garystickel@...> wrote:

I “second” Shields. It’s not HRO by any means, but they do carry a lot of electronic parts. I’ve lived here 14 years, and it’s the “only game in town“ that I have been able to find.
73
Gary K4RQT
 --------------

On May 9, 2020, at 1:40 PM, Tom Badgett <k4nox@...> wrote:

Ben,

Nearest thing to what you are looking for is shields electronics, west Knoxville on middle brook pike. Professional electric and electronics.  I’ve used them for years.
https://www.shieldselectronics.com/

There is a RadioShack apparently on North Broadway but RS has gone downhill over the years. More like cell phone shack.

There’s another place I’ve never used:

Good luck.

Tom
K4NOX

Jim Jenkins

I have found that other than hamfests the best way to get Ham stuff is on line either with Amazon, DX Engineering, or HRO. I was amazed to find that Amazon not only gave good delivery but you can even buy ICOM transceivers and others at prices like HRO’s or better with delivery included. Amazon usually uses suppliers who ship directly to you. HRO ships from whichever of their stores have your purchase in stock. The only danger I’ve found with Amazon & HRO is with pl-259 connectors. You need to make sure you order amphenol connectors or you get the made-in-china poor performing connectors.

Regards

Jim – AA1J