Looking for a *nice* 1960s-era Collins transceiver?

George N2APB

David KF4DKW forwarded me an email today about availability of a terrific tube-based transceiver - the Collins KWM-2A ... It's in beautiful condition and has a very fair price.

WHAT IS THE COLLINS KWM-2A? ... It was a classic HF transceiver in its own time. This one is now about 40 years old and is by far the most popular transceiver Collins ever produced. It was enjoyed by both Ham Radio and military users. It was introduced in 1959 and was produced for over 25 years through to at least 1985. Serial number research has determined that roughly 26,000 units were produced, making this probably the longest running transceiver in production history.  They are still sought after transceivers today and clearly demonstrate the lead Collins had on radio designs. The VFO was remarkable for its day it reads out to 1 KHz. and easily holds to the Collins specification of less than 100 Hz drift per hour (after warm-up). The visual design is its leading strength - still looking modern - even today. An interesting supporting note from a 1960 Collins advertisement - it was titled "Collins - a tradition that has withstood the test of time."  It weighs in at only 18 pounds and is constructed with an aluminum chassis and cabinet. It requires a separate power supply to operate and the more recommended 516F-2 power supply is supplied in this deal.

Photos and seller details at ... <https://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/ele/d/blairsville-ham-collins-kwm-2a-516f-2/7084649373.html>

The price is just right at $1200 for the radio and power supply - high enough to warrant good quality and low enough to not gouge.  And you can drive to Blairsville, GA (outside Atlanta) to pick it up and save on shipping fees.

How do I know it's a good deal??  I have one!  It's my main "go to" radio for SSB.  (The Elecraft K3 is for digital and CW.  The other boatanchors are for AM.)

Let me know if you'd like to try it out sometime over here ... But contact the seller directly and soon if you're interested.

73, George N2APB
TLARC Webmaster
http://www.tlarc.org/

PS:  More background on the KWM-2A  ... <http://www.collinsradio.org/cca-collins-historical-archives/the-equipment-of-collins-radio/the-grey-boxes/kwm-22a-transceiver/>