Topics

LB Cebik - Top Five Backyard Antennas

Jim Anderson

Here's the paper I mentioned on this evening's ZOOM meeting.

73, Jim - K0RGI

Greg Wilde AE4GW .- . ....- --. .--

Thanks Jim.

I really enjoyed meeting everyone on ZOOM tonight and being able to participate on the NET.  Appreciate everyone's support.

Greg Wilde
KO4CYX

Cell - 423-333-6358

On Wed, Apr 8, 2020 at 6:50 PM Jim Anderson <kzerorgi@...> wrote:
Here's the paper I mentioned on this evening's ZOOM meeting.

73, Jim - K0RGI

Jim Anderson

Hi, Greg.

Glad you joined us, and congratulations again on becoming part of what I think is one of the best hobbies around.

One of the antennas mentioned in the article is an inverted-L. I had good success using one at my Wisconsin QTH before moving to Tellico Village. Here I use an end fed wire, which is similar but without the vertical component of the inverted-L. I like the end fed for a variety of reasons, not the least of which is that the feed point is at a corner of my home. That minimizes the coax run and reduces the loss from SWR mismatch.

As you'll notice in the article, Cebik was a great believer in building antennas, and in particular wire antennas. You may decide to buy rather than build, and a commercial antenna would certainly be easier to erect and would get you on the air more quickly. My preference has always been to build my own. It's a part of the hobby that I've always enjoyed and, as you'll notice when you look at the prices of commercial antennas, it can be a significant cost reduction. Wire, insulators, and rope are pretty cheap and will allow you to experiment with different configurations.

73, Jim - K0RGI

Jim Jenkins

I’ve attached an article on the FD4(FD3) Windom Antenna . on the last page under “FD4 CLONES”  is picture of a 6 band “Buckmaster” antenna. The 6 band buckmaster covers all the hf bands from 7mhz up there is also a 7 band and a 8 band version starting at 80M and 160M and up . the 7band version is 45ft on the short end and 90ft on the long end. The 8band version is 90ft and 180ft. They work well at about 20ft off the ground for the feed point and steadily improve up to 60 feet. The wire ends only need to be about 10ft off the ground so the guy mowing the lawn doesn’t run into them. The Buckmaster is the best wire antenna I’ve ever heard of and I have had several of them.

The best vertical antenna I’ve used is the GAP TITAN which covers all hf bands from 80M up. It was originally designed to mount on a ships mast arm and requires no wires buried in the ground below it.

Regards,

AA1J

Jim