Ham Radio Is Officially Dead in Tennessee

Brad (the Voice of the Village) Berger

Edited

I don't really get the title to this article unless it's just an attention grabber. The contents are more positive than the title. Also, I'm having trouble believing the majority of hams are in their 60's and 70's. TLARC sees younger people joining the hobby on a regular basis. What do you think?
https://www.newsbreakapp.com/n/0Z3rS8Ok?share_id=eyJ1c2VyaWQiOjgyMzg2NzExLCJkb2NfaWQiOiIwWjNyUzhPayIsInRpbWVzdGFtcCI6MTYxNjk1NTk4NTExMH0=&share_destination_id=ODIzODY3MTEtMTYxNjk1NTk4ODcyOA==&s=a3&pd=05ZgXvge&hl=en_US

Radio Shack is back:  https://www.radioshack.com/

Heathkit is back:  https://shop.heathkit.com/shop

Brad,

The title is misleading. The writer doesn’t go over all the finer points of Amateur Radio, just what he sees with his blinders on. Maybe the radio community in Johnson City is quiet, but it certainly isn’t in our area, or many others. As you know, we are blessed to have many repeaters with a wide coverage area. Not too many Clubs have what we have to enjoy.

“Also, I'm having trouble believing the majority of hams are in their 60's and 70's.”

Look around you, and you’ll see that many operators are “older” Hams, however, the younger generation has an interest in amateur radio. I’ve talked to many younger Hams on HF, one as young a 8 years old, who had their Extra ticket. It’s up to us to bring new members into the fold.

“TLARC sees younger people joining the hobby on a regular basis.”

I’ll disagree with that statement. Most joining the Club are in the 40 plus age group, either retired or near retirement age. Several that have joined have been involved in amateur radio since their youth, gotten out of the hobby and then joined the ranks again later in life. Several, like myself, have always had an interest in amateur radio, but never had the time to pursue it until retirement. However, our Club has a VERY active membership program where we send new hams a “welcome packet” that contains information about our Club, area repeater frequencies, as well as a membership application. And we try to help people find information on how to get licensed, places to test, etc.

I think it’s up to us, the “older generation” of hams, to show the younger folks what amateur radio offers, to “elmer” new hams who have questions, how we use amateur radio in daily life and, most importantly, how we can us it to communicate when no other method of communication will work or is available. And this isn’t being done. Personally, I think we need to showcase our skills during Field Day by setting up in an area that is open to the general public. We need to take our skills to the schools, churches, civic events, etc. and have a presentation on amateur radio and how we work with local government during times of need, work marathons, work with the National Weather Service during inclement weather. And the list goes on……

As far as Radio Shack coming back……..from what I’ve heard, it’s only online and in very few locations.

HeathKit……it starts, stops, spits and sputters. Like “Bones” McCoy says…… “It’s DEAD, Jim!”

I will say this, as a final thought. It’s up to each of us to keep this hobby alive and growing. Be active in your Club. Share the knowledge that you have with someone else, and be a good “ambassador” for the hobby.

73,

Mike, K4MJF

Vice President TLARC

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Tellico Lake Amateur Radio Club Vice President
Smoky Mountain Amateur Radio Club
470 ARG

Bob Wilson-KK4XA

Mike K4MJF
Very very well said.  If you ever run for office outside of ham radio you got my vote!!!
I believe all hams need to read what you have to say.
Thanks I really enjoyed your response.
73

Bob Wilson
KK4XA

[...]