Topics

Fw: [cwops] ZoomT Recording of N4XL's excellent presentation available now

George N2APB

Juan,

Thank you, thank you, *thank you!*  I just finished watching this antenna presentation by Kevan Nason N4XL and it is terrific for helping to understand and optimize vertical antenna system performance.  While he illustrates using vertical antennas built for the lower bands (80m and 160m), the principles are applicable to higher bands that many of us have (40-10m).

Kevan uses many charts and graphs excerpted from other references to illustrate his points … But N4XL provides great added value by telling viewers what the ‘takeaway’ is for each diagram.

The discussion points are:

Antenna lengths, radials (#, length, elevated, buried, diameter, folded v. straight), ATUs (at base v. in shack), feedlines, baluns, near-field vs far-field efficiency, SWR, phasing, and overall ‘system’ performance.  And again, each of these discussion points is illustrated by his use of charts and annotations showing ‘what this chart means’.

Many of us merely put up a given vertical antenna (e.g., a Hustler BTV6 or just a wire up into the trees as N4XL uses, but Kevan is an avid DXer and a contester, which tells me that he looks for ways to improve and/or optimize all parts of his station.

A great takeaway for me was his illustrating the antenna system as a series circuit of three resistors being fed by the RF power delivered by the transmitter:

This mental image of the antenna illustrates how/why you want to maximize your radiation resistance (radiated power) and minimize the losses.  Kevan points out that one can have a ‘good’ SWR while having most of the power merely being sent into the ground! … Hence a good SWR is not a good indicator of antenna efficiency, and he describes why.

The presentation started out a little slow during introduction, but it really picked up steam around the 10-minute mark, which was the point at which I was hooked and started taking notes like crazy!   The presentation portion ends at the 1-hour mark, and there is another 45 minutes of (good)

To all:  Be sure to watch this presentation.  I guarantee you’ll also find some good takeaways!

73, George N2APB