Topics

Field Day Update From ARRL

Jim Anderson

GE, all.

I just spotted this message that came out today from ARRL. I think it should answer some of the questions raised during this evening's discussion on Field Day.

73, Jim - K0RGI

http://www.arrl.org/news/view/arrl-suggests-taking-a-creative-approach-to-field-day-2020

WK9M

So continuing on what you said on the repeater meeting tonight Jim, it seems that the ARRL is sticking with the 1,000' diameter rule for all transmitters.  At least as of now there is no composite club score planned.

Juan's idea sounds like the best option so far, unless there is someone else in Tellico Village within 500' of Juan's house that could also run their radio remotely.  I'm 3 miles from Juan at my QTH.

Crossing my fingers like the rest of us that this will be behind us in mid-May; TBD.

'73
Randy

On 4/22/2020 7:56 PM, Jim Anderson wrote:
GE, all.

I just spotted this message that came out today from ARRL. I think it should answer some of the questions raised during this evening's discussion on Field Day.

73, Jim - K0RGI

http://www.arrl.org/news/view/arrl-suggests-taking-a-creative-approach-to-field-day-2020

David Andrews

Sorry, I’m 1200+ feet. Allan and Joyce are 4000+ feet.

[...]

Ok thanks David.

Juan and I are going to be experimenting a bit in the near future on different ideas for remote rig control.  The idea is to do something that works reliably and is relatively easy to use while being free or at least somewhat cheap that covers most of the modes.

Back when TLARC was going to install a tower, shack, and build a super station :) I would have suggested that we buy an MFJ-1234 so that all of us could login and run the voice/CW/digital modes remotely.  The MFJ box runs on a Raspberry Pi 3 and would be ideal for a station that is available 24x7.  Rigs like your Flex and the new K4 may work 100% remotely out of the box with CW and digital but I am not sure.  The difficulty is sending CW and getting audio to/from the remote rig onto your PC to decode it.  CW should work with macros.

We'll keep you posted and cross our fingers that FD 2021 is going to be much easier.

Randy