FCC Rules Change

Brad (the Voice of the Village) Berger

Be sure you are compliant.
IF they send you an e-mail and it bounces, they can revoke your license.

Link to update FCC admin license file.

On September 16, 2020, the FCC adopted Report and Order FCC 20-126.  This R&O requires that ALL licensees in any radio service administered by the Wireless Telecommunications Bureau (WTB) must have a current e-mail address on file as part of their ULS record.  This includes the Amateur Radio Service.  These new regulations will go into effect 6 months after the R&O is published in the Federal Register.  It has not yet been published.

There are changes to 2 sections in Part 97 -- §97.21 & §97.23.

The new text of §97.23 reads:

§ 97.23 Mailing and e-mail addresses.
Each license grant must show the grantee's correct name, mailing address, and e-mail address. The e-mail address must be an address where the grantee can receive electronic correspondence. Revocation of the station license or suspension of the operator license may result when correspondence from the FCC is returned as undeliverable because the grantee failed to provide the correct e-mail address.

The changes to §97.23 are similar in that the words “mailing address” are replaced with the words “mailing and e-mail address” each time that they appear.

This new regulation requires that all existing licensees update their ULS record to include a current e-mail address the same as a current mailing address.  This can be done either online or by submitting an application through a VE test session.

Jim Anderson <jimk0rgi@...>

Thanks for the tip, Brad. I checked my information and was surprised to find that CORES still had my old information from prior to moving to Tellico Village. I'd updated my license information at that time and just assumed that it would carry through everywhere. Well, you know what happens when you assume! Everything is up to date now, which should come in handy when I need to renew my license in 2024.

On Mon, Nov 30, 2020 at 9:11 AM Brad (the Voice of the Village) Berger <km4ojk@...> wrote:
[...]

Gary Stickel

Interesting and helpful.
Where do you go to verify your information?

G ===============

I used the link Brad provided but I didn't know my FRN, so I then logged in to the CORES site at https://apps.fcc.gov/cores/userLogin.do. Once in CORES, there is a menu selection for managing existing FRNs.

On Mon, Nov 30, 2020, 10:44 AM Gary Stickel <garystickel@...> wrote:
[...]

Super! Thanks!
(You can find your FRN at this website:

On Nov 30, 2020, at 11:03 AM, Jim Anderson <jimk0rgi@...> wrote:

[...]

George N2APB

This is indeed a good thing for all of us to do.  I also needed to change my address.

Thanks for posting this Brad.  I know our webmaster and will ask him to put it on the TLARC website.

73, George N2APB

[...]

Ben Poff

I find that a little humorous since I have been trying to update my new mailing address since we moved back in August. The online system sucks! I have requested "Help" numerous ties and have never even received a response acknowledging my request for help, much less getting the problem solved. Typical bureaucratic BS. If someone has some kind of "insider" connection I sure would appreciate a hint!

Thanks!

Ben Poff, EMS-LA
Lead Auditor ISO 14001 - Environmental Consultant
Green Canoe Solutions
Greenback, TN 37742
(865) 229-5076  Office/Home
(865) 440-6139  Cell

[...]

John Haskell <jasm2213@...>

FCC website is a good example of how not to design a website.  Sucks is putting it mildly.

However, I have had 100% success over the years by calling the FCC 800-number and speaking with a real person.

Ben Poff

I appreciate that John! I will look into that and see if the COVID-driven fear has relegated that option to the junk pile. 😎

I will update as data becomes available ...

Ben

On Mon, Nov 30, 2020 at 1:17 PM John Haskell via groups.io <jasm2213=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
FCC website is a good example of how not to design a website.  Sucks is putting it mildly.

However, I have had 100% success over the years by calling the FCC 800-number and speaking with a real person.

George N2APB

Hey Ben,

Unless you are just having trouble logging in with the “Forgot Password” link, you are welcome to come over here to my place and we can do it together.  As long as you can log in there should not be a problem.

73, George n2APB

[...]

Interestingly enough, I just went into the system to check my personal information, and it did not accept  my password! (Yes, I used the one I established a year ago when I got it.)  So I had to change it. Seems that the FCC has enhanced its password requirement, now requiring 12 to 15 characters of a mixed variety. My previous password was only eight characters long, and it would not take it. No big deal, but it’s done.