Drill press and v-block

WK9M

Juan and I were emailing each other back and forth about the QST article on November 2020, pg. 38.

In this article there is a suggestion to add hinge pins to your masts so that you can lock them in place.  Juan and I both don't have a drill press or tubing v-block that will let you center round objects and drill a hole on the exact peak.

The goal is to drill all of the holes in the tubing such that they line up and are still interchangeable with each other no matter which mast you grab.  If one is 1/4" off to the right and another is 1/8" off to the left then that's not too universal.  You get the idea; exact center as much as possible.

If you have something or an idea reply to this and let us know; most likely Juan may want to pay you a visit (and I am curious how you'd do that).

'73
Randy
WK9M

michael J. foley

It's called drilling on center.

My suggestion is to look in the yellow pages for a local machine shop and have them do the work. Unfortunately, I don't know of anyone local.....

On Thu, Feb 18, 2021, 1:07 PM WK9M <randykgm@...> wrote:
[...]

I looked it up on Amazon earlier today and for around $20 you can get the drill jig for the press that you mount on the table.  Then everything that you put in the jig will automatically centered.  Pretty slick.

My hunch would be that for the cost of the machine shop work you could buy a small drill press and centering jig.  We were hoping someone had this setup in the club already but not sure.

On 2/18/2021 1:36 PM, michael J. foley wrote:
[...]

Lou Devillon

What diameter and length is the pipe? Aluminum?

[...]

Tim KE4OTZ Montgomery

I can do some at work. What length of masts are we talking about?

On Thursday, February 18, 2021, 03:42:06 PM EST, Lou Devillon <ldevillon@...> wrote:

[...]

Dale Stewart

Here’s what I found at Harbor Freight:

$70 for the drill press and $9 for the guide. You’re in business forever for many projects for less than $100!

Best regards!

Dale Stewart

On Feb 19, 2021, at 10:32 AM, Tim KE4OTZ Montgomery via groups.io <ke4otz@...> wrote:

[...]

John Johnson

I may be able to do it for you.  Call me at 657 5182

John Johnson
KN4BXA

On Thu, Feb 18, 2021 at 1:50 PM WK9M <randykgm@...> wrote:
[...]

Edward Goodhue

I have a harbor freight drill press that can be used but no TDC jig.

Ted. w1eg

On Feb 18, 2021, at 1:50 PM, WK9M <randykgm@...> wrote:

[...]

Bruce Benton

When I was drilling dowels recently, I must cut a v-block on my table saw. I taped the dowel into it and added a stop block to my drill press.

Happy to show you the process, if you like.

I subsequently bought a right angle strip of aluminum channel at Home Depot to use in the future in my wooden v block

Bruce Benton