Topics

CQ World Wide DX Contest

Juan Lopez

TLARC Members,

WK9M (Randy) has completed setting up his station to host the CQ WW DX contest this weekend. This contest is a sun-down to sun-up (evening only) contest on the 160 Meter band. It starts tonight.

We are asking members that want to participate in this event to please email Randy directly (on the cc line) so he can send your name to the gate guard to allow you into the community. We can send you the address when you respond to this email or look it up on qrz.com

As an alternative, you can always call us on the TLARC repeater if you decide to come at the last minute or hate to send email.

Hope to see you there.

73
Juan
AC6ZM

George N2APB

Count me in for this one too!  Will arrive probably around 9pm tonight.

73, George N2APB

PS:  Take a look at our website for the photo-recap of the NAQP SSB event last weekend ;-)

WK9M

Hi all,

The 160m contest is mostly a night activity and I'm going to eat Dinner here shortly.  We'll be doing this CW contest tonight and tomorrow, but no guarantees that there will be any George Dickel 9yr left tomorrow :).  I have both my radio and FLDIGI decoding CW and the computer sends it, so whether you're sampling the 105 proof or not you should be able to decode and send.  There is quite a bit of activity already according to the spotter network ribbon I had running for only a few minutes:

'73 for now,
Randy

On 1/25/2019 1:54 PM, Juan Lopez wrote:
TLARC Members,

WK9M (Randy) has completed setting up his station to host the CQ WW DX contest this weekend. This contest is a sun-down to sun-up (evening only) contest on the 160 Meter band. It starts tonight.

We are asking members that want to participate in this event to please email Randy directly (on the cc line) so he can send your name to the gate guard to allow you into the community. We can send you the address when you respond to this email or look it up on qrz.com

As an alternative, you can always call us on the TLARC repeater if you decide to come at the last minute or hate to send email.

Hope to see you there.

73
Juan
AC6ZM

David Schoenherr

Not able to attend as I have Fire Dept trng  in the evening all weekend.
  I'm with you in spirit :-)   Will tune in when I get home late.

On Fri, Jan 25, 2019 at 6:03 PM Randy Kruszka <randykgm@...> wrote:
[...]

Club Station KN4DUA scores big again this weekend, this time at host WK9M QTH for the CQ World Wide 160-Meter Contest (CW) !!!

SEE PICS on our WEBSITE ... http://www.tlarc.org/ ... Operators this time included: Randy WK9M, Juan "The Master" AC6ZM, George N2APB, David "Sneezy" KF4DKW and Mike KK6OKU.

Mike was the surprise dark horse as he arrived late and pulled in an outstanding number of Q's for the team ... Way to go KK6OKU!

Thanks to Randy WK9M for a superb 160 meter antenna and very cool station!  Great hosting!

73, George N2APB
www.tlarc.org

Mike Wagner

Hello all, I must say that was very fun and Randy was way more then patient with me as I had never had the opportunity to utilize cw, study cw let alone electronically transmit cw, or even mess with a keyer for cw, yes it’s true, I was a cw virgin! Its amazing how ya start gettin to know signal tones, starts, stops, and now I’m in study mode so any help with recommendation on learning Morse code will be very much appreciated. I know some programs / study guides have to be better to learn on then others.
Randy,WK9M, thank you for being such a gracious host!
73’s to all.
Harley Mike
KK6OKU

Sent from Mike

On Jan 27, 2019, at 10:33 PM, George N2APB <n2apb@...> wrote:

Club Station KN4DUA scores big again this weekend, this time at host WK9M QTH for the CQ World Wide 160-Meter Contest (CW) !!!

SEE PICS on our WEBSITE ... http://www.tlarc.org/ ... Operators this time included: Randy WK9M, Juan "The Master" AC6ZM, George N2APB, David "Sneezy" KF4DKW and Harley Mike KK6OKU

_._,_._,_

Juan Lopez

Mike,

Great! Way to go brother. I will send you a few links to programs that are great. What do you prefer, to listen on cell phone or PC?

Also, nothing beats getting on the air to learn CW.

Best Regards,
Juan
Galaxy S9

[...]

Glad everyone had fun with the 160m CW contest that could make it here; I'm pretty sure that the new '890 has made more contacts on 160m CW than all other band/modes combined so far.  Prior to these last two 160m contests; I had made very few 160m contacts prior and I doubt any were on CW.  That band needs a lot of wire and space.

Mike (KK6OKU) I was also surprised when you said that would be your first time on 160m and CW at the same time; you were in the rhythm pretty well making those QSOs going up through the band one after another.  I'd compare learning CW to another language really, if you learn and use it you'll get better with time and practice.  The ARRL regularly sends out CW practice from QST magazine at varying speeds as well; so there's no pressure to copy the code with that method. I need to bring myself back up to the old mandatory speed (20 wpm) so I can stop using the "cheater screen" to the right :) since it doesn't always work 100%.

'73,
Randy