From: Richard J Blough <rjblough@...>
Sent: Thursday, September 19, 2019 2:25 PM
To: David <n1esk1@...>
Subject: RE: Upcoming POA meeting agenda

David

Thank you for your note regarding Chota usage fees. I certainly understand your concerns. I believe that a little background is in order.

At the December 4, 2018 POA Board Workshop, the Board approved the hiring of a consultant to develop a 5-year Recreation Department Strategic Plan by a 4-3 vote. Those of us that voted against this measure felt that we had the expertise to do this effectively in-house at a lower cost.

The consultant spent several months studying the issues and presented their report to the Board at the July 17, 2019 Board meeting. The Board received the report but took no action to approve or disapprove the findings or recommendations contained in the report. One of the consultant’s recommendations was to consider implementing “reservation fees for usage of the meeting space at Chota Recreation Center”. There was considerable discussion of this and other items in the report. Several Board members (myself included) expressed reservations about the room fee proposal. The subject of room fees came up again in a subsequent meeting when it was raised by the Quilters’ Club. At that time, I stated that this proposal would be considered as part of the 2020 budget discussions – just like any other proposal. However, I added that should a reservation fee come forward in the budget deliberations that I would be a firm NO vote. I believe that the social fabric of Tellico Village is what distinguishes us from other similar communities. I also believe that charging for meeting space at Chota has the potential of damaging that social fabric without providing any significant benefit. As a result, I remain against this proposal.

Again thanks for your note. I expect that I’ll see you at the Board meeting next Wednesday.

Rick