Topics

Chota user fees

David Andrews

With Rick’s permission, I’m forwarding this email to keep everyone in the loop.

David, N1ESK

Sent: Thursday, September 19, 2019 2:25 PM
To: David <n1esk1@...>
Subject: RE: Upcoming POA meeting agenda

David

Thank you for your note regarding Chota usage fees. I certainly understand your concerns. I believe that a little background is in order.

At the December 4, 2018 POA Board Workshop, the Board approved the hiring of a consultant to develop a 5-year Recreation Department Strategic Plan by a 4-3 vote. Those of us that voted against this measure felt that we had the expertise to do this effectively in-house at a lower cost.

The consultant spent several months studying the issues and presented their report to the Board at the July 17, 2019 Board meeting. The Board received the report but took no action to approve or disapprove the findings or recommendations contained in the report. One of the consultant’s recommendations was to consider implementing “reservation fees for usage of the meeting space at Chota Recreation Center”. There was considerable discussion of this and other items in the report. Several Board members (myself included) expressed reservations about the room fee proposal. The subject of room fees came up again in a subsequent meeting when it was raised by the Quilters’ Club. At that time, I stated that this proposal would be considered as part of the 2020 budget discussions – just like any other proposal. However, I added that should a reservation fee come forward in the budget deliberations that I would be a firm NO vote. I believe that the social fabric of Tellico Village is what distinguishes us from other similar communities. I also believe that charging for meeting space at Chota has the potential of damaging that social fabric without providing any significant benefit. As a result, I remain against this proposal.

Again thanks for your note. I expect that I’ll see you at the Board meeting next Wednesday.

Rick

Sent: Thursday, September 19, 2019 9:53 AM
To: mc195@...; jwhite2032@...; rjblough@...; bruce.johnson133@...; tvradioprint@...; cpurvis28@...; schnesx@...
Cc: sbradbury@...
Subject: Upcoming POA meeting agenda

Folks,

You might have heard that there is a bit of an uproar over one paragraph in the recently released TV Rec Dept Strategic Plan. It speaks to reservation fees for use of Chota meeting spaces. I’m writing to ensure you are aware that a large number of villagers are planning to attend the meeting on the 25th to raise their concerns, and to ensure that sufficient time is allocated on the agenda to address this issue.

If you’re not a regular reader of NextDoor, I’ve attached the comments to date to give you a flavor of the conversation.

I serve as the secretary of the Tellico Lake Amateur Radio Club (www.tlarc.org). Since our inception, we’ve used room D at Chota on a monthly basis for our meetings. We typically have 15-25+ attendees, dutifully complete a sign-in sheet, and have had no complaints from the staff. This issue was raised at our meeting last night, and we wisely chose to wait until something official came out before giving our collective opinion.

Personally, I understand the desire to reduce the number of no-show reservations, but think that across the board fees are not the way to proceed. I participated in one of the strategic plan focus groups, and do not recall this having been raised. Regardless, this one paragraph has caused a stir, and I wanted to ensure you know about it and have sufficient time on the agenda to listen to the concerns and address them as best as possible.

Respectfully,

David Andrews

124 & 126 Depew Drive, Tanasi

Gary Stickel

Nicely written, and handled, David!
Thanks for taking the initiative, and for sharing this with us.
Gary - K4RQT
=============

On Sep 19, 2019, at 5:16 PM, David Andrews <n1esk1@...> wrote:

David, N1ESK

David

Thank you for your note regarding Chota usage fees. I certainly understand your concerns. I believe that a little background is in order.

At the December 4, 2018 POA Board Workshop, the Board approved the hiring of a consultant to develop a 5-year Recreation Department Strategic Plan by a 4-3 vote. Those of us that voted against this measure felt that we had the expertise to do this effectively in-house at a lower cost.

The consultant spent several months studying the issues and presented their report to the Board at the July 17, 2019 Board meeting. The Board received the report but took no action to approve or disapprove the findings or recommendations contained in the report. One of the consultant’s recommendations was to consider implementing “reservation fees for usage of the meeting space at Chota Recreation Center”. There was considerable discussion of this and other items in the report. Several Board members (myself included) expressed reservations about the room fee proposal. The subject of room fees came up again in a subsequent meeting when it was raised by the Quilters’ Club. At that time, I stated that this proposal would be considered as part of the 2020 budget discussions – just like any other proposal. However, I added that should a reservation fee come forward in the budget deliberations that I would be a firm NO vote. I believe that the social fabric of Tellico Village is what distinguishes us from other similar communities. I also believe that charging for meeting space at Chota has the potential of damaging that social fabric without providing any significant benefit. As a result, I remain against this proposal.

Again thanks for your note. I expect that I’ll see you at the Board meeting next Wednesday.

Rick

To: mc195@...; jwhite2032@...; rjblough@...; bruce.johnson133@...; tvradioprint@...; cpurvis28@...; schnesx@...

Folks,

You might have heard that there is a bit of an uproar over one paragraph in the recently released TV Rec Dept Strategic Plan. It speaks to reservation fees for use of Chota meeting spaces. I’m writing to ensure you are aware that a large number of villagers are planning to attend the meeting on the 25th to raise their concerns, and to ensure that sufficient time is allocated on the agenda to address this issue.

If you’re not a regular reader of NextDoor, I’ve attached the comments to date to give you a flavor of the conversation.

I serve as the secretary of the Tellico Lake Amateur Radio Club (www.tlarc.org). Since our inception, we’ve used room D at Chota on a monthly basis for our meetings. We typically have 15-25+ attendees, dutifully complete a sign-in sheet, and have had no complaints from the staff. This issue was raised at our meeting last night, and we wisely chose to wait until something official came out before giving our collective opinion.

Personally, I understand the desire to reduce the number of no-show reservations, but think that across the board fees are not the way to proceed. I participated in one of the strategic plan focus groups, and do not recall this having been raised. Regardless, this one paragraph has caused a stir, and I wanted to ensure you know about it and have sufficient time on the agenda to listen to the concerns and address them as best as possible.

Respectfully,

David Andrews

George N2APB

Ditto!  Well done David, thanks. 

George N2APB

On Sep 19, 2019, at 5:36 PM, Gary Stickel <garystickel@...> wrote:

Nicely written, and handled, David!
Thanks for taking the initiative, and for sharing this with us.
Gary - K4RQT
=============

On Sep 19, 2019, at 5:16 PM, David Andrews <n1esk1@...> wrote:

David, N1ESK

David

Rick

Folks,

Respectfully,

David Andrews