Topics

Cell coverage for Tellico Village area?

George N2APB

Currently have Verizon and wishing to change. Thoughts on which supplier has better coverage here in TV? (If it matters, we have iPhones, not Android.)

Thanks,
George N2APB

Bob Wilson

Personally I’m a US cellular guy. I have have been able to get service on Fontana lake! I think their build out is gud. I don’t see me going anywhere other than US Cell. Just my 2cents worth. 73

Bob Wilson
KK4XA
Maryville, TN

On Oct 10, 2020, at 10:06 AM, George N2APB <n2apb@...> wrote:

Currently have Verizon and wishing to change. Thoughts on which supplier has better coverage here in TV? (If it matters, we have iPhones, not Android.)

Thanks,

Bob Wilson - KK4XA

michael J. foley

Verizon has better coverage in the area compared to the other carriers. AT&T is just lacking, Sprint is worse. US Cellular has almost as much coverage area as Verizon. T-mobile, Cricket and the others.......might as well get 2 tin cans and a string!

I have had Verizon for better than 20 years and have coverage in places that other carriers don't.

One thing you have to factor in is the shear distance that Tellico Village is from most of the cell towers. I've yet to drop a call when in the Village.

Maybe you need to look into a device to boost the signal in your home. I know several that have them.....

Just a thought......

Mike

On Sat, Oct 10, 2020, 10:06 AM George N2APB <n2apb@...> wrote:
Currently have Verizon and wishing to change. Thoughts on which supplier has better coverage here in TV?  (If it matters, we have iPhones, not Android.)

Thanks,
George N2APB

dave schoenherr

We were with US Cellular for years.
6mos. ago switched to Consumer cellular.  Cheaper yes but very poor coverage. (lots of missed calls) Think they are ATT.
We are back with US Cellular.
Have had great coverage with them in our travels from New Hampshire to New Mexico & Texas.

On Sat, Oct 10, 2020 at 9:31 AM michael J. foley <mikeljay1953@...> wrote:
[...]

Jim Anderson

I use an Android phone on Google Fi but the XYL has an iPhone. She's been on Cricket since before we moved here in 2017 and hasn't experienced any coverage issues in the Village or surrounding areas. Cricket uses the AT&T network, so coverage while traveling hasn’t been much of an issue either.

Google Fi for iPhone is in beta. For supported Android phones, Fi automagically switches between Sprint, US Cellular and T-mobile networks without roaming charges, so it's been a nice solution for me. That feature isn't supported on iPhone though.

For our use cases, both Cricket and Fi required unlocked phones.

73, Jim - K0RGI

On Sat, Oct 10, 2020, 10:06 AM George N2APB <n2apb@...> wrote:
Currently have Verizon and wishing to change. Thoughts on which supplier has better coverage here in TV?  (If it matters, we have iPhones, not Android.)

Thanks,
George N2APB

Gary Stickel

I agree with Mike Foley. Verizon has the best national coverage. The Village-area coverage leaves something to be desired. Especially in/ near Mialaquo , where are you can hardly get a signal in some areas. Verizon claims no one will deed them the land to put up another tower. Or no one wants a cell tower in their backyard.  Yeah, right. The truth is: They cost money.
If you’re not getting good reception in your home, do what I did: I got a “Network Extender“. (“mini-cell tower box” in your home that connects through VoIP.). Works fine.
Otherwise, on the road, I don’t think you’ll find a better cell phone company for coverage. But YMMV....
I’m curious: what’s the deficiency is that is making you want to change, George?
=============

Begin forwarded message:

From: "michael J. foley" <mikeljay1953@...>
Date: October 10, 2020 at 10:31:44 AM EDT
To: TLARC@groups.io
Subject: Re: [TLARC] Cell coverage for Tellico Village area?

[...]

Hi George, just us here.

I used to work at Sprint for 12 years designing cell site locations, CW testing, data collection, etc.  So some "words of wisdom".  :)

Pretty much when the build outs started years ago, you could put a new tower (average price $250k) pretty much within a general area you wanted--eventually.  As more providers came into the markets, neighborhoods start to push back and say "can't you just go on that AT&T tower over there?"

So what you end up with is that several providers are all in the same spot at various heights.  Someone like Verizon with lots of $ would have to break out of the norm and put smaller microcells around such as on tall buildings, lamp posts, etc.  5G has a strong push in fact to add 4x the cell sites as there are now since the coverage area is much smaller.

Indoor repeaters can work, if they are good ones.  There were a lot of junk ones out there and the one good one I remember is Spotwave. You get what you pay for of course.  :)

Randy

On 10/10/2020 10:06 AM, George N2APB wrote:
Currently have Verizon and wishing to change. Thoughts on which supplier has better coverage here in TV? (If it matters, we have iPhones, not Android.)

Thanks,
George N2APB

.

WK9M

LOL OK.  So I was going to just reply to George so as to not clog up everyone's email but I ended up replying to all.

In the past you used to be able to get an Internet based picocell that you set up at home on your network.  These devices worked but were all but canceled once the feature to make calls over WiFi became popular.

George for now I'd check your smart phone.  Can you make WiFi calls on it?  Possibly all you need is a newer phone.

It also depends on the provider.  Sprint I know for example when you have WiFi coverage prefers WiFi.  Verizon has WiFi but only uses it when their coverage is weak.  David W. might be able to give a better update on that.

'73
Randy