From: Dudley Pitts <dudpit4@...>
Date: Thu, Sep 17, 2020 at 11:31 AM
Subject: ARRL: FCC Recent Fee Proposal Comment Suggestion
To: D. Pitts <dudpit4@...>

Greetings E. TN ARRL Affiliated Clubs,
I had a very informative and interesting meeting with the Tn Section Mgr. David Thomas and his entire cabinet concerning the recent FCC Amateur Radio license fee reinstatement. As you may or may not be aware, the Notice of Proposed Rulemaking (NPRM) is now accepting comments from people concerning Docket 20-270. ARRL FCC Proposed Fee article . This link will fill you in.

Apparently, there have been some comments filed by various Hams around the country that are... shall we say "less than constructive" that have been posted by various hams around the country who are very upset concerning the FCC's decision. Keep in mind that the ARRL played no part in this decision and are doing their best to communicate our concerns to the FCC as well. The license fee of $50 is a maximum amount. The FCC has not made any decision as yet what the fee amounts will be. It could very well be a smaller amount.

The people that will be impacted the most from the change are the new amateur radio licensees. I am very concerned about this impact due to the fact it is difficult enough to get youngsters into the hobby without adding additional financial burden. Personally, I hope a "tier system" would be decided on that would give licensees under the age of 18 a reduced fee.

Regardless of the impacts to each of us, it still is a bitter pill to swallow. However, this is a time for us to act responsibly when making our comments. We should take this opportunity for commenting seriously and provide constructive comments and suggestions highlighting our valued services during emergencies and providing free communications and training when needed. Historically, we've provided real value to our government agencies at all levels when disaster struck.

ARRL, including myself, are asking everyone to comment but think before you write. Now is the time to show our competent best in our comments and remind the FCC of the various achievements, support, and service readiness we provide. Thanks in advance for helping our voices be heard in the best manner possible.

Also, it would be a good time to write your TN state representatives with your concerns. For example, US Senator Marsha Blackburn has always been a strong supporter of the Amateur Radio community and remains so to this day. I recently discovered she was not aware of the fee impact to Amateur Radio at the time of the passing of the comprehensive bill package and shares our concerns.

Thank you for your attention to this concern and I hope for the best outcome possible for Amateur Radio. We're all in this together and together we can make our voices heard. Get online and create another kind of "pile up"!

Thank you, 73, and stay safe,
--
Dudley Pitts KM4IYQ
ARRL East TN Affiliated Club Coordinator

Bob Wilson
KK4XA
Maryville, TN

--