Date   
Re: Lots o' News!

George N2APB
 

Forgot to also mention Brent K4BNN as a contributing reporter for our website!  Thanks Brent :)

73, George N2APB


On Aug 26, 2019, at 11:03 PM, George N2APB <n2apb@...> wrote:

We have a boatload of new items added to the top of our TLARC home page!
- W4DXCC Convention coming to Pigeon Forge on Sept 20-21
- ARRL DX Contest winner in TN State Division ... who could that be?! :)
- East Tennessee 2 Meter Nets and Repeaters Directory ... AMAZING resource!
- New Solar Storm Forecast

Great reading, thanks to contributors this time: K4MJF, AC6ZM and KF4DKW ... Keep 'em coming everyone!

73, George N2APB
www.tlarc.org

Tennessee QSO Party ... TODAY from 2-10 pm! ... And a Deal

George N2APB
 

Today is the day!!  If ever there were a light-n-easy contest to work, this is the one.  Everybody in the US is looking to contact Tennessee stations!

You can do any band you want (except of course the WARC bands (60, 30 17 and 12 meters).

You can do any mode: Phone, CW or Digital.  (Try out the *hot* new FT8 mode!  It's super easy with WSJT-X program on your PC.  Ask me if you have questions or want assist.) 

And here's a deal ... If you wanted to quick-n-simple way try out any of this, come on over to my house any time from 2-4 to make a contact or two.  No sweat, no hassle :) 

Details and rules are here
.

Hope to bump into you on the air this afternoon!

73, George N2APB
www.tlarc.org 

Re: Tennessee QSO Party ... TODAY from 2-10 pm! ... And a Deal

Juan Lopez
 

All Concerned,

If you operate today for the TNQP, please include the Tellico Lake ARC as your club affiliation so our scores can be combined to enter as a team. We can all operate from wherever and use your own callsign. If you need help submitted your log file, just ask me and I am willing to get all automated for you. Do not worry if you use a paper log, I can convert it over to ele tonic log. Most importantly include TLARC as your club affiliation and might win a club category award. Look for me running portable from Rutherford county. Happy hunting!


From: TLARC@groups.io <TLARC@groups.io> on behalf of George N2APB <n2apb@...>
Sent: Sunday, September 1, 2019 9:54:52 AM
To: TLARC@groups.io <TLARC@groups.io>
Subject: [TLARC] Tennessee QSO Party ... TODAY from 2-10 pm! ... And a Deal
 
Today is the day!!  If ever there were a light-n-easy contest to work, this is the one.  Everybody in the US is looking to contact Tennessee stations!

You can do any band you want (except of course the WARC bands (60, 30 17 and 12 meters).

You can do any mode: Phone, CW or Digital.  (Try out the *hot* new FT8 mode!  It's super easy with WSJT-X program on your PC.  Ask me if you have questions or want assist.) 

And here's a deal ... If you wanted to quick-n-simple way try out any of this, come on over to my house any time from 2-4 to make a contact or two.  No sweat, no hassle :) 

Details and rules are here
.

Hope to bump into you on the air this afternoon!

73, George N2APB
www.tlarc.org 

New item For Sale ... and New Solar Storm Forecast

George N2APB
 

Check out a new item added to our TLARC For Sale web page ... http://www.tlarc.org/ForSale/index.html

Also see the interesting Solar Storm Forecast ... Something's a brewin'! ... http://www.tlarc.org/

73, George N2APB
http://www.tlarc.org/

Antennas in Tellico Village

John Haskell
 

Below is the final agreed to language by the ACC for antennas in the Village.  It does not give us everything, however more antenna options are provided versus the previous Blue Book language.  Wire antennas will be permitted as will vertical antennas and physically small arrays. 

Guys wires generated much discussion.  While guy wires are not permitted, the issue of guy wires was used to its fullest as grist for compromises in other areas with the ACC members. 

The ACC completed Blue Book revision will be formally delivered to the POA Board of Directors on 19 September.  I expect approval at the next Board meeting.  In the coming months and years as we work under these new rules, I am sure we will be able to argue for less restrictive antenna rules.

"4.         Telephone, Television, Radio and Internet

 

                       The local service provider should be contacted for more information and to

                       apply for service as applicable.

 

Except as provided below, a permit shall be required for each exterior antenna for telephone, television, radio or internet.  Application for permits shall include:

  • Information showing location, size, and dimensions.

     

    All permitted antennas shall comply with the following minimum requirements:

     

  • Only one visible antenna shall be allowed per lot.

  • Antenna height shall not exceed the distance from the base of the mounting unit to the nearest lot line and no guy wires shall be permitted.

  • The antenna mast shall not exceed two and one half inches in diameter.

  • If an array is attached to the mast it shall not exceed one meter in any dimension.

  • The antenna shall be located in the side rear or back of the lot outside of the minimum setbacks and utility easements (usually 7-1/2 feet from side lines and 20 feet from rear property line). Preference is a location that cannot be seen from the street (in other words, the house and existing landscape screening should be used as a screen).

  • Additional landscaping to screen the antenna may be required in the sole discretion of the ACC.

     

Television satellite receivers (FCC-Approved) or dishes (antennas) of a meter (or less) diameter shall be allowed on any Tellico Village building without issuance of an ACC permit.  Such antennas shall be placed in a location that is as minimally visible as possible.  Satellite receivers or dishes of grater than a meter in diameter are prohibited."

Regards,
Allan, K1AT


"

Re: Antennas in Tellico Village

Jim Anderson
 

Nicely done, Allan! It's true that it doesn't give us everything we want, but it will be great knowing that an installation done per these rules will be legal. No worries about being turned in by a neighbor!

73, and thanks for your efforts on our behalf! 

Jim - K0RGI 


On Thu, Sep 12, 2019, 11:11 AM John Haskell via Groups.Io <jasm2213=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Below is the final agreed to language by the ACC for antennas in the Village.  It does not give us everything, however more antenna options are provided versus the previous Blue Book language.  Wire antennas will be permitted as will vertical antennas and physically small arrays. 

Guys wires generated much discussion.  While guy wires are not permitted, the issue of guy wires was used to its fullest as grist for compromises in other areas with the ACC members. 

The ACC completed Blue Book revision will be formally delivered to the POA Board of Directors on 19 September.  I expect approval at the next Board meeting.  In the coming months and years as we work under these new rules, I am sure we will be able to argue for less restrictive antenna rules.

"4.         Telephone, Television, Radio and Internet

 

                       The local service provider should be contacted for more information and to

                       apply for service as applicable.

 

Except as provided below, a permit shall be required for each exterior antenna for telephone, television, radio or internet.  Application for permits shall include:

  • Information showing location, size, and dimensions.

     

    All permitted antennas shall comply with the following minimum requirements:

     

  • Only one visible antenna shall be allowed per lot.

  • Antenna height shall not exceed the distance from the base of the mounting unit to the nearest lot line and no guy wires shall be permitted.

  • The antenna mast shall not exceed two and one half inches in diameter.

  • If an array is attached to the mast it shall not exceed one meter in any dimension.

  • The antenna shall be located in the side rear or back of the lot outside of the minimum setbacks and utility easements (usually 7-1/2 feet from side lines and 20 feet from rear property line). Preference is a location that cannot be seen from the street (in other words, the house and existing landscape screening should be used as a screen).

  • Additional landscaping to screen the antenna may be required in the sole discretion of the ACC.

     

Television satellite receivers (FCC-Approved) or dishes (antennas) of a meter (or less) diameter shall be allowed on any Tellico Village building without issuance of an ACC permit.  Such antennas shall be placed in a location that is as minimally visible as possible.  Satellite receivers or dishes of grater than a meter in diameter are prohibited."

Regards,
Allan, K1AT


"

A favor from the group . . .

Tom Badgett
 

My wife, June, turns 80 this month. We usually celebrate birthdays quietly at home. This year I’d like something a little special.
She loves to get anything in the mail. I’d love it if she could  receive 80 birthday cards by the end of the month. So I’m asking friends and family for a little help.
A card, a post card, a QSL card would make her day (She eagerly reads any QSL card I receive. She’s not a ham, but the hobby interests her.)

If you could send her a card, here’s the address:

June Badgett
8170 Beals Chapel Road
Lenoir City, TN 37772

Thanks to all.

73,

Tom
K4NOX

Re: A favor from the group . . .

Tom Massingale
 

We send her a card well before the end of tbe month my friend. 
Kd4stt 73s 

On Fri, Sep 13, 2019, 9:34 AM Tom Badgett <k4nox@...> wrote:
My wife, June, turns 80 this month. We usually celebrate birthdays quietly at home. This year I’d like something a little special.
She loves to get anything in the mail. I’d love it if she could  receive 80 birthday cards by the end of the month. So I’m asking friends and family for a little help.
A card, a post card, a QSL card would make her day (She eagerly reads any QSL card I receive. She’s not a ham, but the hobby interests her.)

If you could send her a card, here’s the address:

June Badgett
8170 Beals Chapel Road
Lenoir City, TN 37772

Thanks to all.

73,

Tom
K4NOX

September meeting is right around the corner

David Andrews
 

Your humble secretary is a little behind the eight ball this month. The minutes of the August meeting are attached. Please join us for our regular monthly meeting this Wednesday, September 18 at 7 PM at the Chota Rec Center. The speaker this month is TBD. A mystery? Perhaps.

 

We’ll get together for the meeting before the meeting, better known as dinner. 5:30 PM at Little Italy at 316 Lakeside Plaza. Good company and good food. Can’t beat it. Please let me know if you plan on attending, so I can adjust the reservations as needed.

 

See you on Wednesday,

 

David Andrews, N1ESK

Re: September meeting is right around the corner

Robert Foster
 

Hi Dave,

 

I won’t be able to attend this month due to just having hip replacement surgery last week. I plan on attending the October meeting.

 

Bob Foster AE4YJ

 

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

 


From: TLARC@groups.io <TLARC@groups.io> on behalf of David Andrews <n1esk1@...>
Sent: Friday, September 13, 2019 4:27:56 PM
To: TLARC@groups.io <TLARC@groups.io>
Subject: [TLARC] September meeting is right around the corner
 

Your humble secretary is a little behind the eight ball this month. The minutes of the August meeting are attached. Please join us for our regular monthly meeting this Wednesday, September 18 at 7 PM at the Chota Rec Center. The speaker this month is TBD. A mystery? Perhaps.

 

We’ll get together for the meeting before the meeting, better known as dinner. 5:30 PM at Little Italy at 316 Lakeside Plaza. Good company and good food. Can’t beat it. Please let me know if you plan on attending, so I can adjust the reservations as needed.

 

See you on Wednesday,

 

David Andrews, N1ESK

Re: September meeting is right around the corner

David Andrews
 

Take care Bob; we’ll be on the lookout for you in October.

 

David

 

From: TLARC@groups.io <TLARC@groups.io> On Behalf Of Robert Foster
Sent: Monday, September 16, 2019 2:44 PM
To: TLARC@groups.io
Subject: Re: [TLARC] September meeting is right around the corner

 

Hi Dave,

 

I won’t be able to attend this month due to just having hip replacement surgery last week. I plan on attending the October meeting.

 

Bob Foster AE4YJ

 

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

 


From: TLARC@groups.io <TLARC@groups.io> on behalf of David Andrews <n1esk1@...>
Sent: Friday, September 13, 2019 4:27:56 PM
To: TLARC@groups.io <TLARC@groups.io>
Subject: [TLARC] September meeting is right around the corner

 

Your humble secretary is a little behind the eight ball this month. The minutes of the August meeting are attached. Please join us for our regular monthly meeting this Wednesday, September 18 at 7 PM at the Chota Rec Center. The speaker this month is TBD. A mystery? Perhaps.

 

We’ll get together for the meeting before the meeting, better known as dinner. 5:30 PM at Little Italy at 316 Lakeside Plaza. Good company and good food. Can’t beat it. Please let me know if you plan on attending, so I can adjust the reservations as needed.

 

See you on Wednesday,

 

David Andrews, N1ESK

2 Meter Net

 

Fellow TLARC Members,

Smokie Mountain Radio Club ( SMARC ) has a Net every morning at 9am on the W4OLB repeater ( 146.655 -6 shift, pl100.00 ). This is very informal check-in Net usually called by Bob, KK4XA.
This Net is held daily, except Fridays, when members and non members meet at TC's Grill in Maryville for breakfast at 9am.
Hope to hear some of you check in...….
--
73,
Michael J. Foley, K4MJF
Tellico Lake Amateur Radio Club
470 ARG

Re: 2 Meter Net

Brad (the Voice of the Village) Berger
 

Thanks for the info Mike. I tried and tried to hit the SMARC repeater this morning, but couldn't get in. Sometimes I can barely hit it from the back porch, but not today. Oh well - just need more juice and height.

Re: 2 Meter Net

George N2APB
 

Thanks to Mike's posting (and Brad's laments about lacking height), I've now "discovered" the Smoky Mountain ARC!  They have a nice website (http://w4olb.org/home) that lists their activities, and among them are a daily 9am net, Tech Lunches on Thursdays, Friday morning breakfasts, and monthly meetings on the last Monday.  Wow!

I'm going to plug into their activities starting tomorrow at the Tech Lunch - should be fun.

Plus, a couple of us here in TLARC have been considering having a "swap meet" of our own at an upcoming meeting.  We all have "junque" that others might benefit from as trade, give-away or outright sale.  I think that would be a great feature to have at our meetings once in a while.

73, George N2APB
http://www.tlarc.org/ 

PS:  I've just upgraded to a Collins KWM-2A transceiver for my HF use, and thus am ready to sell my current S-Line.  I'll be putting it up on our For Sale pages soon, but wanted to give advance notice if anyone is interested in a good, working deal for the Collins 75-S1 receiver and the 32-S1 transmitter (and power supply).

Re: 2 Meter Net

Sam Howard
 

I mentioned last night at TLARC that SMARC meeting for Monday, Sept. 24, will start at 6:00 pm with a swap meet followed by a BBQ dinner. Hope to see many of you there.  

Note SMARC and Monroe Country ARC meet on the 4th Monday of the mont not necessarily the last. SMARC doesn’t have the scheduled meeting in June or December due to proximity to Field Day and Christmas. 

Sam KV4XY 

On Wed, Sep 18, 2019 at 12:09 George N2APB <n2apb@...> wrote:
Thanks to Mike's posting (and Brad's laments about lacking height), I've now "discovered" the Smoky Mountain ARC!  They have a nice website (http://w4olb.org/home) that lists their activities, and among them are a daily 9am net, Tech Lunches on Thursdays, Friday morning breakfasts, and monthly meetings on the last Monday.  Wow!

I'm going to plug into their activities starting tomorrow at the Tech Lunch - should be fun.

Plus, a couple of us here in TLARC have been considering having a "swap meet" of our own at an upcoming meeting.  We all have "junque" that others might benefit from as trade, give-away or outright sale.  I think that would be a great feature to have at our meetings once in a while.

73, George N2APB
http://www.tlarc.org/ 

PS:  I've just upgraded to a Collins KWM-2A transceiver for my HF use, and thus am ready to sell my current S-Line.  I'll be putting it up on our For Sale pages soon, but wanted to give advance notice if anyone is interested in a good, working deal for the Collins 75-S1 receiver and the 32-S1 transmitter (and power supply).

Minutes and October meeting announcement

David Andrews
 

Hello everyone,

 

In an effort to procrastinate and avoid mowing the lawn, I broke a record and produced the meeting minutes from last night. Pay attention to the dates, some are happening tomorrow.

 

The October meeting will be a departure from the past. We will meet at 6:00 PM at the Chota Rec Center for dinner. Pizza and drinks will be provided by TLARC. For those of you who usually partake of the pre-meeting gathering, there won’t be a need to rush to the meeting after eating!! We’ll then start the meeting at 7:00 with a different agenda.

 

Do you have a gadget you built or use in your shop you’d like to let others know about? Some home brew thingy, hand me down, or neat gadget you picked up somewhere that others should know about? Pack it up and bring it to the meeting. You’ll have the floor to talk about it. If this proves to be a popular activity, we might repeat it from time to time.

 

Regards,

 

David Andrews, N1ESK

ARRL Club Affiliation

David Andrews
 

If you have attended either of the past two club meetings, you no doubt heard a brief discussion about becoming an ARRL Affiliated Club. Attached are three documents for your perusal before the next meeting.

  • The Six Steps describe the actions needed to become affiliated
  • The Benefits can be viewed and expanded via this link: http://www.arrl.org/affiliated-club-benefits
  • The library book set is a collection we can purchase at a reduced price of $200, verses ~$360 if purchased individually. I’m suggesting  we could buy this set and donate it to the TV Library, where we would all have access.

I support affiliating with the ARRL, and plan on making a motion to that effect in October. Please take a few minutes to review this material so you can make your own determination.

 

Thanks,

 

David

Re: 2 Meter Net & swap meet

Sharron Fritts
 

Don't forget Sweetwater Hamfest 9/28.

Chota user fees

David Andrews
 

With Rick’s permission, I’m forwarding this email to keep everyone in the loop.

 

David, N1ESK

 

From: Richard J Blough <rjblough@...>
Sent: Thursday, September 19, 2019 2:25 PM
To: David <n1esk1@...>
Subject: RE: Upcoming POA meeting agenda

 

David

 

Thank you for your note regarding Chota usage fees. I certainly understand your concerns. I believe that a little background is in order.

 

At the December 4, 2018 POA Board Workshop, the Board approved the hiring of a consultant to develop a 5-year Recreation Department Strategic Plan by a 4-3 vote. Those of us that voted against this measure felt that we had the expertise to do this effectively in-house at a lower cost.

 

The consultant spent several months studying the issues and presented their report to the Board at the July 17, 2019 Board meeting. The Board received the report but took no action to approve or disapprove the findings or recommendations contained in the report. One of the consultant’s recommendations was to consider implementing “reservation fees for usage of the meeting space at Chota Recreation Center”. There was considerable discussion of this and other items in the report. Several Board members (myself included) expressed reservations about the room fee proposal. The subject of room fees came up again in a subsequent meeting when it was raised by the Quilters’ Club. At that time, I stated that this proposal would be considered as part of the 2020 budget discussions – just like any other proposal. However, I added that should a reservation fee come forward in the budget deliberations that I would be a firm NO vote. I believe that the social fabric of Tellico Village is what distinguishes us from other similar communities. I also believe that charging for meeting space at Chota has the potential of damaging that social fabric without providing any significant benefit. As a result, I remain against this proposal.

 

Again thanks for your note. I expect that I’ll see you at the Board meeting next Wednesday.

 

Rick

 

From: David [mailto:n1esk1@...]
Sent: Thursday, September 19, 2019 9:53 AM
To: mc195@...; jwhite2032@...; rjblough@...; bruce.johnson133@...; tvradioprint@...; cpurvis28@...; schnesx@...
Cc: sbradbury@...
Subject: Upcoming POA meeting agenda

 

Folks,

 

You might have heard that there is a bit of an uproar over one paragraph in the recently released TV Rec Dept Strategic Plan. It speaks to reservation fees for use of Chota meeting spaces. I’m writing to ensure you are aware that a large number of villagers are planning to attend the meeting on the 25th to raise their concerns, and to ensure that sufficient time is allocated on the agenda to address this issue.

 

If you’re not a regular reader of NextDoor, I’ve attached the comments to date to give you a flavor of the conversation.

 

I serve as the secretary of the Tellico Lake Amateur Radio Club (www.tlarc.org). Since our inception, we’ve used room D at Chota on a monthly basis for our meetings. We typically have 15-25+ attendees, dutifully complete a sign-in sheet, and have had no complaints from the staff. This issue was raised at our meeting last night, and we wisely chose to wait until something official came out before giving our collective opinion.

 

Personally, I understand the desire to reduce the number of no-show reservations, but think that across the board fees are not the way to proceed. I participated in one of the strategic plan focus groups, and do not recall this having been raised. Regardless, this one paragraph has caused a stir, and I wanted to ensure you know about it and have sufficient time on the agenda to listen to the concerns and address them as best as possible.

 

Respectfully,

 

David Andrews

124 & 126 Depew Drive, Tanasi

Re: Chota user fees

Gary Stickel
 

Nicely written, and handled, David!
Thanks for taking the initiative, and for sharing this with us.
Gary - K4RQT
=============

On Sep 19, 2019, at 5:16 PM, David Andrews <n1esk1@...> wrote:

With Rick’s permission, I’m forwarding this email to keep everyone in the loop.

 

David, N1ESK

 

From: Richard J Blough <rjblough@...>
Sent: Thursday, September 19, 2019 2:25 PM
To: David <n1esk1@...>
Subject: RE: Upcoming POA meeting agenda

 

David

 

Thank you for your note regarding Chota usage fees. I certainly understand your concerns. I believe that a little background is in order.

 

At the December 4, 2018 POA Board Workshop, the Board approved the hiring of a consultant to develop a 5-year Recreation Department Strategic Plan by a 4-3 vote. Those of us that voted against this measure felt that we had the expertise to do this effectively in-house at a lower cost.

 

The consultant spent several months studying the issues and presented their report to the Board at the July 17, 2019 Board meeting. The Board received the report but took no action to approve or disapprove the findings or recommendations contained in the report. One of the consultant’s recommendations was to consider implementing “reservation fees for usage of the meeting space at Chota Recreation Center”. There was considerable discussion of this and other items in the report. Several Board members (myself included) expressed reservations about the room fee proposal. The subject of room fees came up again in a subsequent meeting when it was raised by the Quilters’ Club. At that time, I stated that this proposal would be considered as part of the 2020 budget discussions – just like any other proposal. However, I added that should a reservation fee come forward in the budget deliberations that I would be a firm NO vote. I believe that the social fabric of Tellico Village is what distinguishes us from other similar communities. I also believe that charging for meeting space at Chota has the potential of damaging that social fabric without providing any significant benefit. As a result, I remain against this proposal.

 

Again thanks for your note. I expect that I’ll see you at the Board meeting next Wednesday.

 

Rick

 

From: David [mailto:n1esk1@...]
Sent: Thursday, September 19, 2019 9:53 AM
To: mc195@...; jwhite2032@...; rjblough@...; bruce.johnson133@...; tvradioprint@...; cpurvis28@...; schnesx@...
Cc: sbradbury@...
Subject: Upcoming POA meeting agenda

 

Folks,

 

You might have heard that there is a bit of an uproar over one paragraph in the recently released TV Rec Dept Strategic Plan. It speaks to reservation fees for use of Chota meeting spaces. I’m writing to ensure you are aware that a large number of villagers are planning to attend the meeting on the 25th to raise their concerns, and to ensure that sufficient time is allocated on the agenda to address this issue.

 

If you’re not a regular reader of NextDoor, I’ve attached the comments to date to give you a flavor of the conversation.

 

I serve as the secretary of the Tellico Lake Amateur Radio Club (www.tlarc.org). Since our inception, we’ve used room D at Chota on a monthly basis for our meetings. We typically have 15-25+ attendees, dutifully complete a sign-in sheet, and have had no complaints from the staff. This issue was raised at our meeting last night, and we wisely chose to wait until something official came out before giving our collective opinion.

 

Personally, I understand the desire to reduce the number of no-show reservations, but think that across the board fees are not the way to proceed. I participated in one of the strategic plan focus groups, and do not recall this having been raised. Regardless, this one paragraph has caused a stir, and I wanted to ensure you know about it and have sufficient time on the agenda to listen to the concerns and address them as best as possible.

 

Respectfully,

 

David Andrews

124 & 126 Depew Drive, Tanasi