Re: Need recommendations for local "shops" to purchase basic ham radio supplies ...

Jim Anderson <jimk0rgi@...>

Hi, Ben. I haven't needed to buy anything locally since moving here, so I'm not familiar with any shops that might carry those types of things. I have seen rather large collections of CB merchandise at truck stops, so you might get lucky if you go out to the Watt Road interchange off of I-75 and see what Pilot or one of the others have to offer.

Good sized hamfests usually have a vendor or two that sells those types of items. Tower Electronics is one that I've seen at many different places. The Knoxville hamfest is coming up soon - if they decide to hold it. Sam may know more about that as he recently forwarded a questionnaire from them about attendance. With Dayton cancelled, the next big one within reasonable distance from here is Huntsville in August. They still show as planning to be open but we'll see.

On Sat, May 9, 2020 at 12:45 PM Ben Poff <piscator359@...> wrote:
Hey everybody! Hope y'all are having a great day on this sunny Saturday. Suddenly finding myself in need of a local source of "bench supplies" (not sure what else to call them). I've used some of the online sources (ie., DX Engineering, GigaParts, etc.), but I'm figuring that there has to be some place locally in the greater Knoxville area where folks can purchase basic stuff ... coax cable, various adapters, plugs, soldering supplies, etc.

My first thought was find the closest Radio Shack ... are they even around anymore? I am aware of a "hobby" shop up in Turkey Creek, but I haven't been in there in ages so I can't remember if they had any ham stuff.

So, after the chuckling over the new guy's question subsides, and you can type ... I would be most appreciative for your knowledge download.

73
Ben - KN4VIF