July meeting and dinner - right around the corner

David Andrews

Good evening,

It appears that another month has rolled off the calendar and July has arrived, so it must be time to get together again and ham it up. The July meeting of the Tellico Lake Amateur Radio Club will be held rain or shine on Wednesday, July 17, at 7:00 PM at our usual spot, the Chota Rec Center at 145 Awohili Drive. We will meet for food and good conversation at the Tanasi Bar & Grill at 450 Clubhouse Point at 5:30. This allows plenty of time to relax, eat, chat, and still make the meeting early. If you plan to attend dinner, kindly let me know so I can provide an accurate headcount to the good folks at Tanasi. Click here if you want to preview the menu: http://www.tellicovillageyachtclub.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/2018_April_new_menu_Includes-Breakfast-Tanasi.pdf

If you have a free evening tomorrow, you might want to take a little trip over to the Oak Ridge Amateur Radio Club meeting, beginning at 7:00 PM at the First United Methodist Church at 1350 Oak Ridge Turnpike in Oak Ridge. Their meeting notice is posted below.

See you then,

David, N1ESK

+++++++++

ORARC:

1. Todd Derrick, ORFD Battalion Chief, will address our ORARC meeting tomorrow night to discuss the city's radio communication.

2. Also at Monday's meeting, a new member will be present and looking for assistance with the communications module for a cube satellite being build by Robertsville Middle School students.

The new member, Peter Thornton wrote to say:

I mentor a group of middle school students at Robertsville, who are in the process of building a cube satellite to be launched by NASA in the fall of 2020. I have a pretty good handle on the major sub-systems, with the glaring exception of the RF communications. This is obviously a critical part of the mission. After doing a lot of reading and experimenting with handhelds, I have a working understanding of the AX.25 packet format that we'll be using. Where I am struggling is with the modulation/demodulation issues, and the necessary hardware at the ground station. We have a basic ground station set up at the school, but I'm afraid the transceiver (Kenwood TS-2000) it is not configured to meet our needs for the digital modes (FSK for uplink to the satellite, and BPSK for downlink of data from the satellite). We have a VHF/UHF dual yagi antenna on a rotator on the roof. I have my technician's license, acquired for this project, but have no prior experience (digital modes or otherwise) as a ham.

3. Dave Campbell needs a late model vehicle. He would  prefer a large car or pickup truck. If you have a vehicle for sale or know of one for sale, please write to Dave K8BYP at 865-801-0470 k8byp@...

Thanks for your attention and see you at the meeting. Meantime: 73!