Re: Drill press and v-block

WK9M

I looked it up on Amazon earlier today and for around $20 you can get the drill jig for the press that you mount on the table.  Then everything that you put in the jig will automatically centered.  Pretty slick.

My hunch would be that for the cost of the machine shop work you could buy a small drill press and centering jig.  We were hoping someone had this setup in the club already but not sure.

On 2/18/2021 1:36 PM, michael J. foley wrote:
It's called drilling on center.

My suggestion is to look in the yellow pages for a local machine shop and have them do the work. Unfortunately, I don't know of anyone local.....

On Thu, Feb 18, 2021, 1:07 PM WK9M <randykgm@...> wrote:
Juan and I were emailing each other back and forth about the QST article
on November 2020, pg. 38.

In this article there is a suggestion to add hinge pins to your masts so
that you can lock them in place.  Juan and I both don't have a drill
press or tubing v-block that will let you center round objects and drill
a hole on the exact peak.

The goal is to drill all of the holes in the tubing such that they line
up and are still interchangeable with each other no matter which mast
you grab.  If one is 1/4" off to the right and another is 1/8" off to
the left then that's not too universal.  You get the idea; exact center
as much as possible.

If you have something or an idea reply to this and let us know; most
likely Juan may want to pay you a visit (and I am curious how you'd do
that).

'73
Randy