Re: Contest Season

WK9M

Yes Eric,

I was about to email everyone today and see what interest there might be for the Stew Perry 160m CW contest this weekend.  It's a 24hr contest but per the rules we can only operate up to 14.  Juan is looking into this to determine which 14 hours would be best.  It is primarily a nighttime contest (like myself and N2APB's hours) but there should be some opportunity in the late afternoon and early morning as well.

How these contests work is that any operator in the presence of a control operator with a higher license can operate in that part of the band.  On Field Day many years ago someone once told me "on Field Day everyone is an Extra".  :)  In this particular contest we'll also have a CW decoder running and we send by computer as well.  So even if you're not familiar with any CW you can easily do "Search & Pounce" where you find a station and can decode their data; then contact them.

Watch for an update coming up and we'll have a better idea of times and such.

'73
Randy
WK9M

On 10/14/2020 9:30 AM, Eric Ressler wrote:
I am a tech, can I still join in the contest by observation? Please let me know.

On Mon, Oct 12, 2020 at 19:06 Juan Lopez <jloz34@...> wrote:

Dear TLARC Members,

We are making preparations for the 160 meter contest season starting next weekend.

We are in need of some supplies to reduce the cost to club funds.

Please contact me directly if you have any of the materials below to arrange for a pick-up.

ITEMS NEEDED

  1. RG-58 126 feet
  2. RG-6 with connectors 150-200 feet
  3. 4  Ground rods 4-6 ft.
  4. RG-213 coax cable with SO-239 type connectors (any length, the longer the better)
  5. Chassis mount SO-239 connectors
  6. Legal limit tuner

Juan

AC6ZM