Topics

SBB-P Re 4/4 II potential withdrawals

Martin Baumann

Edited

With the likely increase in 502 unit workings in December 2018 at the expense of 460s which will then see the latter replace Re 4/4 II the following locos are probably at risk of withdrawal having been longest out of works

11108 R1 25.01.2012
11129 R1 18.01.2012
11131 R1 30.05.2012
11134 R1 21.08.2012
11135 R1 19.09.2012
11140 R2 06.04.2012
11145 R1 21.03.2011 (TK 11.12.2017)
11148 R1 25.05.2011 (TK 07.12.2017)
11152 R1 29.05.2010 (TK 20.12.2017)
11155 R1 17.11.2012

11157 R1 29.03.2012
11161 R1 28.02.2012
11191 R1 09.02.2012
11198 R1 30.08.2012

SBB-P do still pay for overhauls on Re 4/4 II and this year the following have been to Bellinzona:
11194 R2 31.07.2018
11300 R2 18.06.2018
11301 R2 30.08.2018

Martin Baumann

"11161 R1 28.02.2012"

11161 was sent to Bellinzona works this morning via train 2891

Martin Baumann

11161 back in service. Only got TK dated 20.09.2018

Martin Baumann

Edited

11157 R2 Bellinzona 20.11.2018
11191 R2 Bellinzona 13.11.2018
11198 R2 Bellinzona 20.12.2018

Martin Baumann

A post on BAHNFORUM claims the following provisional withdrawal dates, I cannot vouch for its accuracy:

11108 26.09.2020

11109 31.12.2021

11145 21.12.2019

11148 30.11.2019

11152 10.12.2019

Martin Baumann

11161 will be around for a while yet: R2 Bellinzona 03.05.2019

Martin Baumann

11140 went on fire near Wil tonight while working 2278 ex St Gallen

John Lovda

I saw 11161 in TEE colors during my honeymoon in 1976.

John

https://www.flickr.com/photos/79976134@N07/16247085823/in/album-72157663116399595/

Martin Baumann

Nice shot. Had it been working a freight? There is an 2 axle open wagon next to the loco.

John Lovda

Sorry, I really have no recollection. That was 43 years ago. In my 20 odd trips to Switzerland for rail photography (mostly starting in 1994) my primary interest has been locomotives, not what they are pulling. Go back to my Flickr page and look through all my albums as well as my short biography. I was lucky enough to catch the end of the Ae6/6 era before their demise. I'm coming back in two weeks.

John
Canton, OH USA

csipromo

Re: John's photo 11161. That looks like Luzern Bf.
Normally, the station hall would not be used by freight trains, but as the station was being rebuilt after the fire (1971), there may have been some trains brought to the station containing equipment and goods used in the construction of the new station. The Re 4/4II in TEE colours were normally used primarily for service between Luzern and Basel via Olten and for the run to Chiasso via the Gotthard. The inbound locomotive from Basel would bring the Roland to Luzern and would then perform other local/regional operations until it was needed for the northbound train back to Basel later in the day. The outbound locomotive would take the Roland south to Chiasso, where it would also perform local and regional runs pending the arrival of the northbound Roland from Italy.
After 1979, TEE service ended and the locomotives were assigned to a whole variety of domestic services, like any other Re 4/4II.

Luzern Station Fire https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwcIDEi-9fA
Luzern Station 1984 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0qXaTuOUn4
Luzern Station 1991 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dfui1u7O1is

I was there a few months after the fire, again in 1985 and then again in 1998/2003/2004.

John Lovda

We were definitely only at the main station. Here is another picture taken the next morning when we were leaving Luzern.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/79976134@N07/16679834110/in/album-72157662402217189/

Martin Baumann

11152 is now stored at Bellinzona

Martin Baumann

I missed this at the time: 11140 returned to service at the end of August

Martin Baumann

Edited

11152 is reportedly withdrawn and will be going to the scrapyard in Lugano. The same has been reported for Re 6/6 11642 which has not had an overhaul in 8 years.

csipromo

When a locomotive like 11152 is prepped for scrap, are they still removing parts to use in the maintenance of other units or are they at just point just removing hazardous parts and sending them on their way?

This would depend on what spare parts are in stock and how long the type of locomotive will remain in service but at present anything reusable will be removed from locos like 11152.

11642 has a damaged transformer which it is not economical to repair