Topics

Real Time Trains Like System?

co90221

Hello All,

In the UK there is a system called Real Tim Trains that shows the real time location of all trains on the UK network. Is there anything similar in Switzerland? I have seen references to some sites that publish details of late trains, and I have seen reference to a system called Rail4 but overall it is not clear is there is a similar system as Real Time Trains.

Thank you for your help,
Adam

Guerbetaler

Am 27.09.2019 um 12:10 schrieb co90221 via Groups.Io:
In the UK there is a system called Real Tim Trains that shows the real time location of all trains on the UK network.
The only thing I can find is a timetable information with real time for
a selected station. But I can't find a mpa with real time locations of
trains.

Is there anything similar in Switzerland?
Similar to what I have found above? Yes, several
<http://fahrplan.sbb.ch/bin/stboard.exe/dn?ld=std3.a&> (if delay > 2min)
<http://www.timeforcoffee.ch/> (not very helpful for big stations as it's difficult to sort out buses and trams)
staions app (only for iOS)
<https://fahrplan.search.ch/> (seems to have problems providing data, currently not shwoing real time)

I have seen references to some sites that publish details of late
trains, and I have seen reference to a system called Rail4 but
overall it is not clear is there is a similar system as Real Time
Trains.
Information about real train times is officially available from
opentransportdata.swiss
But it seems that there is nobody using the information in a map setting. <http://maps.vasile.ch/transit-sbb/> only shows the timetable times, although he is pointing to opentransportdata.swiss in a box.

For thos who want to test it just now: IR 15, that should arrive in Luzern at 21:01 is currently running with +20

Am 27.09.2019 um 20:20 schrieb Guerbetaler:
For those who want to test it just now: IR 15, that should arrive in Luzern at 21:01 is currently running with +20
This site pretends to have real time info:
<https://www.zugverfolgung.com/sbb-schweizerische-bundesbahn>

But the abovementioned IR15 is shown with +1, so obviously not very correct.

Another train currently running late is IC6 that should arrive in Bern at 20:24, but has +12. This one is correctly on zugverfolgung.com

Markus, Gürbetal

David Prior

Adam
Search the App Store for SwissTrains

[moderator's note: this app does not show real time]

gordonwis

The short answer is no.

This is a common question on rail forums across the net, and it usually gets similar responses referring to 'real time' information about passenger trains, but that is not the same thing as Real Time trains.

The UK is almost unique in having Real Time Trains - ie a system freely available to the public that shows the exact location and movement detail to the half minute of every single train running including freight, light locos, tamping machines etc.

luzern2

This site shows trains, buses, trams and boats, locations and stations
served by a particular train, etc..

<https://maps.trafimage.ch/#/ch.sbb.netzkarte?lang=en&baselayers=ch.sbb.netzkarte.relief,ch.sbb.netzkarte.luftbild.group&display_srs=EPSG:2056&zoom=4&x=626690.00&y=204910.00&layers=ch.sbb.tracker>

-Paul

[moderator's note: bus, trams and boats are not shown on this site, but on:

Am 28.09.2019 um 12:18 schrieb luzern2:
This site shows trains, buses, trams and boats, locations and stations
served by a particular train, etc..
<https://maps.trafimage.ch/#/ch.sbb.netzkarte?lang=en&baselayers=ch.sbb.netzkarte.relief,ch.sbb.netzkarte.luftbild.group&display_srs=EPSG:2056&zoom=4&x=626690.00&y=204910.00&layers=ch.sbb.tracker>
-Paul
[moderator's note: bus, trams and boats are not shown on this site, but on:
<https://www.zugverfolgung.com/sbb-schweizerische-bundesbahn>]
I wasn't correct: Both sites have exactly the same (official) information. To get bus routes and times you have to open "Swiss public transport network map" at the top left and select "Bus routes". Then you have to zoom in above 50% until the bus routes appear in yellow.

Markus, Gürbetal

co90221

It seems like all of these systems only show passenger trains and not work trains or cargo, is that correct? Does the open API that was listed have cargo data also and it is just not used by the sites rendering the maps?

Guerbetaler

Am 28.09.2019 um 15:33 schrieb co90221 via Groups.Io:
Does the open API that was listed have cargo data also and it is just
not used by the sites rendering the maps?
opentransportdata.swiss deals with passenger information in public transport, not specifically with railways.

Markus, Gürbetal