Topics

Question about history of RBe + Bt sets

Andrew Moglestue

Question here about the history of RBe push-pull sets for the purposes of correct formations on a model railway.

This isn't very long ago, but memory can play tricks.

From memory, when the S-Bahn Zürich first opened, many lines used RBe uniots coupled to two EWI or EWII plus a BDt. These four car sets could be combined into longer 8 or 12 car sets.
At the time they were still in green livery, using the Swiss shield rather than the SBB logo.

Then as conductors were phased out, some modifications were made, including the removal of exterior grabrails and shunter's steps so passengers couldn't jump up onto a moving train. Is this correct?

Later a program got underway to modernize these trains. Folding doors were replaced by swing doors and at the same time the green livery was replaced by the NPZ style blue and white with yellow doors and the interiors also modernized with the imitation red or green leather seat covers replaced by moquette in 2nd class, and the luggage racks over the seats replaced by luggagte racks over the windows. Changes in first class were more subtle, it mostly it just being the seat moquettes that got changed. Some of the toilets were removed and repalced by bicycle areas.

Now my second question is about the transition period here. I seem to remember that modernized and unmodernized vehicles would run mixed within the same trains. So you might get, say, a green RBe and then a blue/white B and then a green A and then a green BDt, or something like that all in the same 4-car set. Is that correct? Does this mean the door controls were compatible between unmodernized and modernized units?

Martin Baumann

RBe overhauled between 1990 and 1992 were repainted in blue and white but retained the original doors for several years afterwards, for example 540 049 ex 1451 R4 26.10.1992 but only received the new doors 07.03.1997

(I have dates for all RBe if this is of interest)

RBe with old and new doors could certainly work together, for example 13.01.1995 S3-18364 Effretikon-Dietikon had 1440 blue and white old doors and 540 009 blue and white and new doors working together

csipromo

The RBe 4/4 were originally lettered SBB CFF/SBB FFS without the Swiss crest.
At some point in the 1980s, a number of these railcars were adorned with the new SBB logo (Pleitegeier) <+> SBB CFF FFS
At some point, probably around 1990, a number of these railcars had the ends painted red.
Around the same time, a small number of these railcars had one end painted in a special orange/yellow livery for use on the Seetal Line (Luzern - Lenzburg)
In the mid-1990s, a number of these railcars were repainted in the Regio (NPZ) livery. A few years later, the railcars were modified again as the original doors were replaced by flush swing doors, as were the carriages.
Around 2000, it became common to see push-pull trains with a RBe 4/4 (540) at either end of the consist, rather than a single motor unit with a pilot coach.
This freed up a number of pilot coaches for use with Re 4/4II in Regio and Interregio consists.

An RBe at each end could be seen before 2000 For example on the S-Bahn Zürich in the early years before 450 000 to 450 049 had all been delivered. On 01.07.1990 I had 1457 and 1453 on each end of S12 19277 Brugg-Winterthur Seen. Another I had at the time was 06.06.1990 S9 18965 Zug-Uster which was two 6 car RBe sets coupled together. Driving Trailer leading, 1407 in the middle, 1453 at the end

Martin Baumann

A related question, probably for Markus:

Were 50 85 38-33 900 to 921 for BDe 4/4 or RBe 4/4? I don't have this recorded.

Guerbetaler

Am 04.08.2020 um 21:55 schrieb Martin Baumann:
Were 50 85 38-33 900 to 921 for BDe 4/4 or RBe 4/4? I don't have this recorded.
They had Vst IIIa+b so they could be used with Re 4/4 I or BDe 4/4. Same for the later rebuilt ABt 930-937 ex-AB. But light steel ABt 1701-20 = 37-33 900-919 only had IIIb for BDe 4/4 and BDt/Dt/DZt 1990-95, later 82-33 900, 92-33 900-902 and 91-33 900-901 only had IIIa for Re 4/4 I

38-33 900-921 were rebuilt 1993-96 to BDt 82-33 960-980 with Vst IIId for RBe and Re 4/4 II.

Markus

csipromo

ABt 38-33 900-921were originally designed to be operated by Re 4/4I and BDe 4/4.
They were rebuilt to allow for operation with RBe 4/4 (540) and Re 4/4II (420) in the 1990s, at which point they were converted into BDt with flush sliding doors, as per Markus' post above.

Here's a question. When were the final operations of Re 4/4I push-pull on the Gotthard line?

Am 05.08.2020 um 00:16 schrieb csipromo via groups.io:
Here's a question. When were the final operations of Re 4/4I
push-pull on the Gotthard line?
May 1994 (see Hans Schneeberger: Die elektrischen und
Dieseltriebfahrzeuge der SBB, Band 1: Baujahre 1904–1955. Minirex,
Luzern 1995, ISBN 3-907014-07-3)