Topics

New Zurich trams finally ordered

Martin Baumann

ZVV/ VBZ today announced an order for 70 Bombardier Flexity 2 trams for delivery from 2018

http://mobile2.tagesanzeiger.ch/articles/573af28cab5c371886000001 (German)

The order contains options for up to 70 more trams. The first 70 will replace most if not all of 2001~2098 2301-2315 2401-2435

csipromo

Are the "Mirage" trams already out of service? Those were a fixture on my first visit to Zurich in 1971. I then first rode the "Tram 2000" type on later visits. Montreal lost it's trams around the time I was born, so I was really impressed with the trains in Zurich and thought it was so cool (at age 10).

Max Wyss

If you want to ride Mirages, you either visit Zürich when the Tram Museum
is open and has public operation with one of their Mirages, OR you go on a
trip to the Ukraine, to the city of Vinnitsa, where several units were sent
to and are running in daily operation.

Max.

OL.Guerbetal

Am 17.05.2016 um 17:25 schrieb martin98baumann@... [SwissRail]:
The first 70 will replace most if not all of 2001~2098 2301-2315 2401-2435
The newer (1992) 2421-2435 with ac motors might survive together with the 2099-2121 of the same age and technology and which got one low floor entry in 2001-05. However, if the option of 70 units will be fully taken, this will mean a premature end also to the newest Tram 2000.

The very first Tram 2000 entered service exactly 40 years ago. And yes, I remember it. Hmmm

Markus

Martin Baumann

The last Mirage tram in normal service was 1659+1668 on line 13 14.07.2010

1676 was the "Ballettram" from August 2010 and last ran 19.12.2010

VBZ have already published detailed specifications on the new cars which will be 4001 to 4070

https://www.stadt-zuerich.ch/content/dam/stzh/dib/Deutsch/Ueber%20das%20Departement/Medienmitteilungen/2016/160517_VBZ_NTG_Datenblatt.pdf

gordonwis

Guerbetaler wrote:
The very first Tram 2000 entered service exactly 40 years ago.
And yes, I remember it. Hmmm

So do I!

Andrew Moglestue

The last Mirage trams were withdrawn in 2010 (or 2011 if you count emergency reserves)
The new Flexity trams will replace Tram 2000s of the first and second batches.Additional cars (from the option) may be used for network expansion, such as the Rosengarten tram route and the Affoltern tram route.It seems likely that the third batch of tram 2000 will remain.

Andrew Moglestue

[message repaired as far as possible, the moderator]

It is highly unlikely the full 70 of the option will be realized. I think the number was chosen this high to maintain some flexibility.When the Cobra trams were ordered, the option was also much larger than the extras that were finally ordered.Similarly with the Hess trolleybuses, where I think that of an option of about 21 only 2 were finally ordered.

Martin Baumann

The order could be subject to further delay. Stadler have exercised their right to have the award of the contract to Bombardier examined independently due to not being satisfied with the earlier independent inquiry and the grounds VBZ/ZVV gave them for not getting the order.

http://www.20min.ch/finance/news/story/Stadler-Rail-legt-Rekurs-gegen-Tram-Entscheid-ein-17758782 (German)

I was wondering whether there has been any objection by Siemens or Bombardier to the selection of Stadler to design the SOB trainsets (Voralpen Express) and now I see that Stadler and Siemens have objected to the VBZ Tram tendering process.

How much of this is real (as in they want to submit a tender offer) and how much of this is the companies playing chess with each other?

Max Wyss

The tendering procedure allows objections by the losing bidders. However,
"I did not get the order" is not a sufficient reason for objecting.

The losing bidder placing an objection must have good reasons or even
evidence that the order was not granted according to the terms in the
tendering documents. In other words, that the buyer made the decision NOT
based on the (made available to the bidders) criteria.

In this case here, it could be that the losing bidders think that the
chosen product does not fulfill certain mandatory technical requirements
(which their product does), and therefore got more points than deserved in
that particular criterion.

Max.

Martin Baumann

Stadler was the only company to tender for the SOB order

Martin Baumann

The Verwaltungsgericht Zürich (not sure what the UK equivalent is? High Court?) today rejected the complaints by Stadler and Siemens so that the contract can now be awarded to Bombardier

Martin Baumann

OL.Guerbetal

Am 21.02.2017 um 20:06 schrieb martin98baumann@... [SwissRail]:
The Verwaltungsgericht Zürich (not sure what the UK equivalent is?
High Court?) today rejected the complaints by Stadler and Siemens
No, not so far. The administrative court only denied the suspensive effect, which means that VBZ and Bombardier can go ahead but that a financial compensation for any irregularity in the procedure is still possible. Stadler and Siemens could appeal to the federal court to reinstate the suspensive effect.

Markus, Gürbetal

OL.Guerbetal

Am 21.02.2017 um 20:06 schrieb martin98baumann@... [SwissRail]:
Verwaltungsgericht Zürich (not sure what the UK equivalent is? High Court?)
From what I can find there is no equivalent in the UK... as there are no cantons in the UK!

We have a Bundesverwaltungsgericht (in St. Gallen), a federal administrative court, of which the equivalent in the UK is the Administrative Court, itself part of the Queen's Bench Division of the High Court of Justice.
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Court_of_Justice>

The Verwaltungsgericht Zürich is the cantonal equivalent of the Bundesverwaltungsgericht.

Stadler will not be taking the case to the Bundesgericht

Siemens have not said anything yet

Martin Baumann

Siemens today announced that they will not go to the Bundesgericht either

VBZ German press release

https://www.stadt-zuerich.ch/vbz/de/index/aktuelles/Trambeschaffung1.html