Topics

New SZU units

Martin Baumann

SZU have requested tenders for 5 new EMU sets (15kv only) for the S4 line. The tender states they must be compatible with existing dual voltage units 511 to 516

Guerbetaler

Am 17.10.2018 um 13:27 schrieb Martin Baumann:
SZU have requested tenders for 5 new EMU sets (15kv only) for the S4
line.
no, for S10

The tender states they must be compatible with existing dual voltage
units 511 to 516
... running mainly on S10

The report is from Eisenbahn Amateur 10/2018 which says S4 but that may be their error

Martin Baumann

Confirmed as an error in Eisenbahn Amateur. The official tender invitation states

"Die SZU beschafft für die Linie S10 fünf neue elektrische Triebzüge, die mit den bestehenden Fahrzeugen Be 510 kompatibel sein müssen."

(The actual page will not link)

Martin Baumann

SZU today ordered 5 units from Stadler. They will be designated Be 570 and be delivered between December 2021 and June 2022. They will likely replace the Siemens Be 4/4 from 1992

Chris Wood

I'm now a bit confused by these threads.

If these are indeed to built as 15kV only units, as the initial thread says, does that imply that the SZU has committed to the sometimes discussed re-electrification of the Uetlibergbahn. Or was that also an error?. If it was an error, then are the new units bi-system or dc-only?.

Andrew Moglestue

If you can read German there is a dicussion about this going on right now on bahnforum.ch . Apparently the community of Stallikon has on 1st November published plans for a conversion of electrification.

Guerbetaler

Am 07.11.2019 um 12:55 schrieb Chris Wood via Groups.Io:
If these are indeed to built as 15kV only units, as the initial
thread says, does that imply that the SZU has committed to the
sometimes discussed re-electrification of the Uetlibergbahn.
I can confirm that the Uetlibergbahn will be converted to ac. The project is accepted as part of the 2021-24 investment plan that will be financed by the Federal Railway Infrastructure Fund.

Previously the crossing with a Trolleybus route hindered this conversion but now all VBZ Trolleybuses have traction batteries so their wiring can be removed over the crossing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZamfxFmMdc

OL.Guerbetal

Am 07.11.2019 um 23:45 schrieb Martin Baumann:
Previously the crossing with a Trolleybus route hindered this
conversion
Not really. A solution like the AVA (ex-WSB)/SBB crossing is possible. The ac part is without current while the gate is open and v/v.

SZU today issued a press release about the new units: The first is to be delivered in November 2021 and all five are to be in passenger service by July 2022 at which point all of Be 4/4 21 to 28 and B 221 to 224 will be withdrawn.

Chris Wood

But the Stadler Facebook page says this about the order:

"Die Sihltal Zürich Uetliberg Bahn (SZU) hat Stadler gestern den Zuschlag über die Lieferung von fünf weiteren Zweispannungs-Triebzügen erteilt"

So these new Be 570 units will in fact be dual-voltage, just like the existing Be 510 units, after all. I wonder why they are being given a different type classification; I guess there must some other differences.

Presumably they have chosen to go dual-voltage because of the likelihood that the re-electrification project, even though accepted as part of the 2021 to 2024 funding plan, will not be finished in time for a train due to be in passenger service in 2022.

Andrew Moglestue

I wonder if they are planning to shut down the line for an extended period to make the necessary changes to the electrification, or whether this will be done in a stepwise manner while the line continues to operate, maybe with the occasional weekend or late night blocakde.

One problem with a stepwise transition is that as soon as you have even a short section of AC, the old Siemens units can no longer be used. If the new Stadler units cannot run on DC, you basically end up with a situation in which neither type can be used.

Thus the decison to go with dual system units suggests to me that a stepwise rather than a big-bang transition is being envisioned.