Topics

Expensive Swiss Sugar

Guerbetaler

I found interesting info in a local newspaper. For 2019 the sugar harvest in Switzerland brought 1.6 million tonnes, which is more than in the years before. This is astonishing as sugar beet production in Switzerland is more expensive than in our neighbouring countries. But this sugar can be sold. One quarter of the production is bought by Red Bull in Widnau. About every second can of Red Bull contains Swiss sugar. ... and has left Switzerland by rail.

Much of the sugar beet harvest is still transported by rail to Frauenfeld and Aarberg, all by private railway undertakings. But they suffer from the same problem as SBB and do not always have enough drivers. This is the reason why more than wanted is transported by road.

Markus, G├╝rbetal