Topics

BLM (Lauterbrunnen)

Martin Baumann

BLM have ordered three railcars from Stadler. Full details have not yet been released but the contract was made public on 14.09.2019

Chris Wood

There is now a report and artists impression on the Railway Gazette web site:

https://www.railwaygazette.com/traction-and-rolling-stock/swiss-narrow-gauge-railway-updates-fleet/54676.article

And a very similar report (with the same artists impression) on the Bahnonline web site:

http://www.bahnonline.ch/bo/61993/blm-bestellt-bei-stadler-drei-neue-triebzuege.htm

That probably means there is now a press release somewhere.

Guerbetaler

Am 01.10.2019 um 12:45 schrieb Chris Wood via Groups.Io:
There is now a report and artists impression on the Railway Gazette
web site:
I look at it rather as a computer animated graphic with real photo background. And I can find it on the official website of the company

<https://www.jungfrau.ch/de-ch/unternehmen/jungfraubahn-holding-ag/jungfraubahn-holding-ag/bergbahn-lauterbrunnen-muerren-ag/>

Markus, Gürbetal

Clive Dean

It is going to be interesting to see how they get them up to the railway
line. A member of staff has suggested that they will come up the road that
forms the winter piste down to Lauterbrunnen on the back of some trucks.
However, that road has a number of hairpin bends!

Max Wyss

This is well possible; there are some very special vehicles around which
can handle such big loads. I believe to remember reading about a similar
transport.

Krist van Besien

It is probably going to be done the same way the Biperlisi got up there.

https://www.jungfrauzeitung.ch/artikel/103371/

It is actually possible (with the right permits and proper vehicle) to drive to Murren in summer. I once came across a team assembling a Pistenbully in Winteregg, and they had several vans and trucks with material they had just driven up there.

You can drive to Wengen in summer as well, by going via Grindelwald and Kleine Scheidegg…

Krist

On Oct 2, 2019, 10:40 +0200, Clive Dean <dixie@...>, wrote:
It is going to be interesting to see how they get them up to the railway
line. A member of staff has suggested that they will come up the road that
forms the winter piste down to Lauterbrunnen on the back of some trucks.
However, that road has a number of hairpin bends!

Max Wyss

Thanks, Krist,

Yeah, that's what I had in mind.

Chris Wood

I assume they would transport the sections separately and assemble them after arrival. In which case the transfer may actually be easier than for 31, as that is probably longer than any of the sections of the new units.

I guess that it is also possible that the sections would be light enough to contemplate the use of a heavy lift helicopter.

KEMPKENS, Klaus [DE]

I know it is quite early, but the interesting question is: how will they get up there ? (as the funicular has been replaced by a ropeway years ago) ?

Klaus Kempkens

Guerbetaler

Am 02.10.2019 um 16:55 schrieb Chris Wood via Groups.Io:
I assume they would transport the sections separately and assemble
them after arrival. [...] I guess that it is also possible that the
sections would be light enough to contemplate the use of a heavy lift
helicopter.
I wonder if there is still a third possibility. BLM's home page says that the cable car can transport 100 passengers (= 8t) and can transport 6t of goods. It then says, that the maximum weight of the cable car is 26t. 6t + 8t + 12 t = 26t. But what is 12t?

Now, the question is, if the cabin can be taken off to attach heavier goods. It might then be possible to transport a Tango in 6 portions (3 carbody segments + 3 bogies) up the hill?

Markus, Gürbetal

Bill Bolton

On Wed, Oct 2, 2019 at 12:34 PM, Guerbetaler wrote:

Now, the question is, if the cabin can be taken off to attach heavier goods.
It might then be possible to transport a Tango in 6 portions (3 carbody
segments + 3 bogies) up the hill?

IIRC for our visit to Murren last year, the "goods" transport platform
is slung under the cable car body, and the ground clearance is pretty
generous. So perhaps a carbody section could just be slung under the
(empty) cabin?!?

Cheers,

Bill

gordonwis

Virtually all modern trams are modular and each segment can be quite short and lightweight, so each segment might not even be beyond the normal 'tonnage' that can be handled by the cable car facilities, if not then each segment would probably fit on a suitable vehicle and taken up the road

Guerbetaler

<https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Muerrenbahn-01.jpg>