Topics

Appenzeller Bahnen vehicles sold

Toma Bacic

Appenzeller Bahnen sold following vehicles to African company STIB SA (La
société de transport ivoiro-burkinabe).

The vehicles are:
- BDe 4/4 41 - 43
- ABt 141 - 143
- B 236 bis 238
- B 241 bis 246

On August 6, B 245 departed from Gais to the workshops in Lorraine where
will receive overhaul.

regards
toma

--
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+385 (0) 98 81 55 61
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::Zagreb

Chris Wood

According to the Railway Gazette, to be used on the line between Abidjan, in Côte d'Ivoire, and Ouagadougou, in Burkina Faso.

With an 18 hour journey covering a distance of 1260 km, and three trains a week, this is going to be a very different sort of railway service to the ones the stock has been used on in Switzerland. And the line is not electrified, so I guess the intent is to convert the BDe and ABt vehicles into hauled coaches.

Guerbetaler

Am 09.08.2019 um 10:33 schrieb Chris Wood via Groups.Io:
With an 18 hour journey covering a distance of 1260 km, and three
trains a week, this is going to be a very different sort of railway
service to the ones the stock has been used on in Switzerland. And
the line is not electrified, so I guess the intent is to convert the
BDe and ABt vehicles into hauled coaches.
A local newspaper wrote that the vehicles will get air condition and that the motor coach will be adapted for this. Which I understand as stripping off the motors and other electrical gear and placing a diesel generator in the luggage room.

Markus, Gürbetal

Thomas

The current generator/1st class/bar coaches on the Abidjan-Ouagadougou Express trains are demotorized DMU power cars from the mid-1970s. As such they still hold the world speed record on meter gauge.

The current train covers the distance in 36 hours max. It will be difficult to bring that down to 18 hours.

Rgds, Thomas.

Martin Baumann

Edited

What speed is alleged?

RhB claim the world speed record for metre gauge which was 145 km/h with Alegra 3502 on test in the Vereina tunnel 05.12.2009

Thomas

Sorry Martin, I never replied you on this one.

The world speed record on meter gauge was reached by a Régie Abidjan-Niger (RAN) ZE 200 on 26.11.1976 on the realigned line between Dimbokro and Bouaké at 160 km/h, well above what RhB claims it to be.

On 1067mm, the record lies in South Africa, with SAR 6E1 E1525 on 31.10.1978 between Westonaria and Midway at 245 km/h.

RhB (and MGB) have some dubious claims, they also claim to operate the slowest express train in the World, however the 'Express International' between Abidjan and Ouagadougou nowadays (this wasn't always the case) operates at speeds below those of the Glacier Express (36 hours to cover 1145 km).

Rgds, Thomas.