Topics

Locomotive Appearance Query (Re 4/4II)

csipromo

M Koblischka posted a photo taken from a train passing the Zurich Depot in 1985
http://www.railfaneurope.net/pix/ch/SBB_CFF_FFS/misc/depot/SBB_Depot_Zurich.jpg

As I looked at the photo, I noticed that the SBB CFF/SBB FFS markings were not at the same height on the two Re 4/4II in the middle of the photo. Both locomotives seem to be from the first series (11101-11155).

Max Wyss

It is possible that one of the two is a prototype (11101-11106).

Max

Martin Baumann

It looks as if the loco on the right is 11101 which did have the lettering at the lower level

gordonwis

Presumably it is one of the initial batch 11101 - 11106 which afaik all originally had the lower setting of the letters - by 1985 it couldn't be either of the Swiss Express conversions of course.

csipromo

I did not know that there was a difference, other than the original numbering and the entire green body.
I assumed that the height of the lettering was standardized on all locomotive types.