Topics

Zentralbahn spur and tunnel near Sarnen

Jonathan Marten

There is a mysterious tunnel entrance visible just to the east of the A8
autobahn, about 1.5km north of the Sarnen Nord junction. I looked at
this on the ground a couple of months ago, and there is a spur line off
the ZB line north of Sarnen Nord station, crossing the Kägiswilerstrasse
and Kernserstrasse and ending up under the A8 bridge, with that tunnel
entrance just on the far side. The rails go all the way up to the solid
metal door.

On the Google Street View image at

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@46.9099664,8.2628307,3a,63.4y,78.58h,91.44t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sG4CADyTTKwmhu2yaJngzGA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

the tracks look usable but slightly overgrown, and the catenary wire is
still in place. Today there is no overhead wire and part of the rails
seem to have been filled up with some sort of tar compound.

Is there any information available on this branch, or what is obviously
some sort of underground facility that it connects to? Have I stumbled
on the site of the Zentralbahn's Strategic Reserve (old uk.railway
joke)?

--
Jonathan Marten http://www.keelhaul.me.uk
Twickenham, UK jjm2@...

Guerbetaler

Am 06.09.2019 um 18:12 schrieb Jonathan Marten:
Is there any information available on this branch
I'm sorry, this is secret. :-)

Barry Emmott

You’ll find something similar to the north of the line near (I think – memory hazy !!) Brienzwiler.
Baz

<https://map.geo.admin.ch/?lang=en&topic=ech&bgLayer=ch.swisstopo.pixelkarte-farbe&E=2662487&N=1195597&zoom=11&crosshair=marker>

Am 07.09.2019 um 09:30 schrieb Barry Emmott via Groups.Io:
You’ll find something similar to the north of the line near
Brienzwiler.
... which is now completely gone, but can be found on older maps:

<https://map.geo.admin.ch/?lang=de&topic=ech&bgLayer=ch.swisstopo.pixelkarte-farbe&layers=ch.swisstopo.zeitreihen,ch.bfs.gebaeude_wohnungs_register,ch.bav.haltestellen-oev,ch.swisstopo.swisstlm3d-wanderwege&layers_visibility=true,false,false,false&layers_timestamp=20111231,,,&E=2650695&N=1177502&zoom=9&crosshair=marker>

These tracks have become useless without freight wagons available.

In 1953 OKK (responsible for Army logistics) received meter gauge Tm 5 RACO 1423. In 2011 this Tm was given to ZB Historic:
<https://www.zbhistoric.ch/rollmaterial.php?fahrzeug=OKK_5>

Markus

Barry Emmott

I’m a member of Swiss Railways Society and nearly 20 years ago spotted the Brienzwiler item during a trip on what was then still the Brünig Line, from Meiringen to Interlaken. I asked a senior member of the Society, who has Swiss ancestry, what was inside the doors. He replied “Hawker Hunters” which, considering the close proximity of the airfield, seemed quite reasonable. I have photos of the cliff-face, showing the line and the doors, taken from the train so not pin-sharp !! Baz

StuartSmith

The line is clearly shown in the S&W atlas at Kerns-Kägiswil.

gordonwis

Look carefully - you'll see similar tracks and doors in various places around Switzerland...

Chris Wood

I think that it is probably not a coincidence that both these two tunnel sidings (at Sarnen and Brienzwiler) are close to current or former Swiss Air Force bases. Probably serving munition stores.

As for Hawker Hunters, certainly underground bunkers were used for the storage and servicing of these and other aircraft. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aircraft_cavern

Guerbetaler

Am 08.09.2019 um 15:05 schrieb Chris Wood via Groups.Io:
I think that it is probably not a coincidence that both these two
tunnel sidings (at Sarnen and Brienzwiler) are close to current or
former Swiss Air Force bases. Probably serving munition stores.
My dear, you are moving deeply into speculations. Have you served in the Swiss Army? Have you read books about the role of railways for the Swiss Army? There are such sidings far off airfields like the one at Steinerberg on SOB.

<https://map.geo.admin.ch/?lang=en&topic=ech&bgLayer=ch.swisstopo.swissimage&E=2686183&N=1212137&zoom=12&crosshair=marker>

And don't forget that the Brünig line is in the area of the "Réduit". All logistic functions necessary for an army were available at underground places within the "Réduit".

As for Hawker Hunters, certainly underground bunkers were used for
the storage and servicing of these and other aircraft. See
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aircraft_cavern
But these bunkers were and are in places that can be reached from the airfields without crossing rivers or railways. In Brienzwiler you can easily detect where the place is, South of the airfield.

The site connected to the Brünig line had another function. The special thing here is, that it was a drive-through facility, as can be seen from the maps. S&W showed a later state where the Eastern point was gone.

You might go back in time looking at the maps. You will see that the airfield wasn't shown on the map even in 1990.

Markus, Gürbetal

Jonathan Marten

Thanks for all the responses. Obviously a military facility, then,
although looking at its state it seems unlikely to be in current use.
Yes, I knew about the similar tracks and doors near Brienzwiler, but
have not visited that on the ground.

--
Jonathan Marten http://www.keelhaul.me.uk
Twickenham, UK jjm2@...

Chris Wood

Whilst on the subject of mysterious railway tunnels, what is the tunnel that leads off the the left hand side of the Gornergratbahn in Zermatt just after passing over the river. Is that also some secretive military feature, or something more mundane.

Thomas

That is a depot for storing rolling stock (Depot Stollen), there's nothing mysterious about it.

Rgds, Thomas.

Derek Higham

On Wednesday, September 11, 2019, 11:36 AM, Chris Wood via Groups.Io <chris_j_wood=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Whilst on the subject of mysterious railway tunnels, what is the tunnel that leads off the the left hand side of the Gornergratbahn in Zermatt just after passing over the river. Is that also some secretive military feature, or something more mundane.
GGB depot!

Chris Wood

Thomas writes:

That is a depot for storing rolling stock (Depot Stollen), there's nothing mysterious about it.
Derek writes:

GGB depot!
Except that there is a perfectly good and still used depot at the end of the GGB station. Whilst OpenStreetMap shows the tunnel entrance leading to a twin track tunnel running about 250m into the hillside, which doesn't strike me as a desperately practical depot layout. Of course, OpenStreetMap could be wrong. But either way, what is the history of this extra depot.

Guerbetaler

Am 12.09.2019 um 19:46 schrieb Chris Wood via Groups.Io:
But either way, what is the history of this extra depot.
GGB's search for additional track length where emus can be stored protected from snow and ice.
Markus, Gürbetal