Topics

Visit to Switzerland

csipromo

I am finally getting a little break and have decided to take a week to do a little travelling in Switzerland this summer (early July).
I am planning a few day trips, using my hotel for base of operations.
Among the trips on my list are the following:

Zurich-St. Gallen, St-Gallen-Rapperswil-Pfaeffikon, Pfaeffikon-Wollerau/Wollerau-Samstagern, Samstagern-Arth Goldau, Arth Goldau-Zurich
I am hoping to be able to catch one of the new VAE consists as well as one of the Revvivo consists on this trip, as well as regular SBB material.

Gotthard-Locarno-Domodossola-Brig-Spiez (might use this as a bridge between my days in Zurich and those in the Alps). What is running on the old route on a daily basis? Can one board the GoPex in Flueelen or is it only the boat/train combo?

GoldenPass (Spiez-Zweisimmen-Montreux-Lausanne). I might try to combine this with a stop in Fribourg to see Kaeserberg or may go to Geneva and back instead.

One route I have not yet travelled on is the run from Luzern to Olten. I might also explore the BLS run from Bern to Luzern (old EMB/VHB?)

Last time I was there was in early 2004. Hoping to see some interesting sights while travelling and while waiting for trains.

Am 08.06.2019 um 20:27 schrieb csipromo via Groups.Io:
Zurich-St. Gallen, St-Gallen-Rapperswil-Pfaeffikon,
Pfaeffikon-Wollerau/Wollerau-Samstagern, Samstagern-Arth Goldau, Arth
Goldau-Zurich I am hoping to be able to catch one of the new VAE
consists as well as one of the Revvivo consists on this trip, as well
as regular SBB material.
Whtever "regular" SBB material might be, Zürich - St. Gallen and Arth-Goldau - Zürich is worked with SBB rolling stock. Which train is made up of what may be seen here:
<http://www.reisezuege.ch/index.php?action=1>
(search for train number)

However, due to the Twindexx-problems and delays in cross-border traffic, replacement consists are quite frequent. I travelled Zürich - Chur in an ICN instead of an ICE on Friday. IR36 2063 was Re 420 146 with EW I/II-push-pull instead of an ICN.

Gotthard-Locarno-Domodossola-Brig-Spiez (might use this as a bridge
between my days in Zurich and those in the Alps). What is running on
the old route on a daily basis?
Gotthard or Brig-Spiez?
old Gotthard: TILO-Flirts (RABe 524)
old Lötschberg: Lötschberger (RABe 535)

Can one board the GoPex in Flueelen or is it only the boat/train combo?
timetable says:

1st class only
Subject to surcharge
Reservation compulsory

One route I have not yet travelled on is the run from Luzern to
Olten. I might also explore the BLS run from Bern to Luzern (old
EMB/VHB?)
No, Bern - Luzern is an SBB infrastructure and was run with SBB trains until 2007. Old EBT/VHB, later RM are feeder lines to Bern - Luzern, joining in Konolfingen, Langnau and Wolhusen.

Arth Goldau-Zurich: bear in mind the closure from today of the 'direct' route via Walchwil if that's the track you were after. On the other hand, Immensee will be a great place to see everything Gotthard in one place for the rest of this year.

<<What is running on the old route on a daily basis? Can one board the GoPex in Flueelen or is it only the boat/train combo?>>

If you mean the old Gotthard mountain route then the answer is very little. Just the RABe524 Flirt units. You can book the GPE train - first class only reservation obligatory.

However, if you don't want to be thoroughly depressed - I suggest you avoid the old route. It is like travelling through a ghost town

Your train gets rather lonely - IMHO all the ‘romance’ of the Gotthard route for enthusiasts has gone - no more does your train compete for space on the line with huge long international long distance trains carrying 000s of passengers a day between northern and southern Europe, and those passenger trains interacting and weaved in between dozens of heavy freight trains lumbering back and forth across the Alps.

Worth doing the MOB for what's left of the 'old order' before the variable gauge stock comes in, although the ordinary MOB trains have changed a great deal recently

On Sat, 8/6/19, csipromo via Groups.Io <csipromo=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
I am finally getting a little break and have
decided to take a week to do a little travelling in
Switzerland this summer (early July).

csipromo

Thanks for the information. If Arth-Walchwil-Zug is out of service, I can simply extend my trip to Luzern and then to Zurich from there. I guess that there are also trains that stop at Rotkreuz where it should also be possible to change to the next Zurich bound train (from Luzern).

I will be travelling with a Rail Pass. I guess that I would still need a reservation for some trains.

What routes do I have the best chance to see or catch either a Twindexx or Giruno?

Am 09.06.2019 um 18:41 schrieb csipromo via Groups.Io:
Thanks for the information. If Arth-Walchwil-Zug is out of service, I
can simply extend my trip to Luzern and then to Zurich from there. I
guess that there are also trains that stop at Rotkreuz where it
should also be possible to change to the next Zurich bound train
(from Luzern).
All trains from Arth-Goldau to Zürich go via Rotkreuz, where they change direction, because SBB considered it wouldn't be worth building the long-planned curve to go directly from Immensee in Zug direction. So, for about 18 months everybody will have the opportunity to contemplate the important station of Rotkreuz...

I will be travelling with a Rail Pass. I guess that I would still
need a reservation for some trains.
Only if you find the [R] sign in the timetable and this is very rare for inland traffic.

What routes do I have the best chance to see or catch either a
Twindexx or Giruno?
Twindexx: Wait anywhere in Switzerland and you will have the chance that a Twindexx will come by and brake down. My last encounter of this type was in Bern Wankdorf, where a Twindexx arrived as an Extra for a concert but couldn't take off again. My train was subsequently blocked too and cam home late. Don't know how the situation will be within one month...

Giruno: First commercial runs are Zürich - Erstfeld. That may change quickly. Ask again before you take off for Switzerland.

Twindexx are really a piece of junk. Years late, poor design, ... I had the misfortune to see one at Sissach on Good Friday on what used to be a proper hauled IC with 460 or Re4/4. To add insult to injury it blocked a good photo angle that I had lined up for a long freight hauled by a Vectron

I really cannot see the benefit of such units over IC2000 double deckers with class 460

A minor amendment to your English if I may Marcus: Breakdown (= mechanical failure) from break as in to smash something apart . Brake = A device for slowing or stopping a moving vehicle, or A thing that slows or hinders a process.

Guerbetaler

Am 10.06.2019 um 00:34 schrieb gordonwis via Groups.Io:
A minor amendment to your English
Thank you for the hint. Yes, the e is in the wrong position, although I'm normally aware of the difference between a brake and a break. It's quite an important difference in railway terms, if I may say so...

Markus