Topics

Cargo Re 4/4 II stored

Martin Baumann

420169, 11173, 11183, 11187, 11237, 11308, 11311 11315

Have been taken out of service and stored in Solothurn

csipromo

Does that mean that I have to put my Roco model Nr 78583 (420 169) back in it's box?

john_dmj

On 17/01/17 15:48, csipromo@... [SwissRail] wrote:

Does that mean that I have to put my Roco model Nr 78583 (420 169)
back in it's box?
Depends on whether it's in shed or open siding! ;)

csipromo

I presume that at some point, they will have to reserve some of the units as parts sources to keep the remaining fleet operational. I know that they have been stripping units that have been scrapped with that in mind, but as the fleet is now getting to be almost 50 years old, this probably becomes more critical.

I wonder what will eventually replace the Re 4/4II and Re 6/6 on Swiss rails. Future generations of the Traxx and Vectron series or will it be something completely new? It would be a shame if there were no more locomotives with the famous Swiss crest on the front. That was one of the things that made them unique to me.

The locos I listed earlier this week are in the process of being moved to Biberist for continued storage.

They have been joined there by

420 170

11171

11185

11190 will be stopped next week and stored

csipromo

Is there a reason why the locomotives taken out of service also include the repainted and in many cases recently updated locomotives in the Cargo livery while models still painted in green or red are still in daily operation?

All the locos being stored lack ETCS

The stored ones in Cargo Livery are not recent repaints and would be due overhall:

420 169 last overhaul R1 24.05.2012 was released painted Cargo 18.12.2007
420 170 last overhaul R2 22.12.2011 was released painted Cargo same date

csipromo

Thanks for that information. That explains things. Was this decision the result of lack of need or because of cost reasons.

Fewer locos needed with opening of GBT and as a result of the reorganisation of the Cargo network last month

gordonwis

On Wed, 18/1/17, csipromo@... > wrote:
It would be a shame if there were no more locomotives with the famous Swiss crest
on the front. That was one of the things that made them unique to me.

I agree, the Re4/4II and Re6/6 have a 'presence' with their cab front Swiss flag crests.

However, it is important to add historical perspective. The feature (unless I'm very much mistaken) came in with the advent of the Ae6/6, and only three classes of Swiss loco (usual disclaimers apply!) actually sport this feature, the Re4/4II, Re6/6 and Ae6/6.

First generation SBB electrics (Croc, Be4/6, Ae3/6, Ae4/7 etc) and even Re4/4I didn't have them and neither have BLS locos so they are not actually a 'standard' feature of Swiss traction down the years, just a passing phase!

Guerbetaler

Am 28.01.2017 um 01:21 schrieb Gordon Wiseman:
and only three classes of Swiss loco (usual disclaimers apply!)
actually sport this feature, the Re4/4II, Re6/6 and Ae6/6
yes if you count an Re 4/4 III as an Re 4/4 II (which it is, in fact)
and if you don't count Ae 4/6 III 10851 and Ae 8/14 11851, which had been modernized with Ae 6/6 cabs, as own classes :-)

Interesting to see the development on RhB:
First class that came with the Grisons crest were the Be 4/4 511 and their ABDt in 1971, soon followed by the Ge 4/4 II in 1973. Ge 4/4 I, Ge 6/6 II, Gem 4/4, ABe 4/4 and even Ge 4/4 III only followed after modernization of these series. But the Allegras had them right from the beginning.

Other private railways didn't step in the development as they are neither "Swiss" nor "one canton" as RhB is.

Sure, there are/were MGB Ge 4/4 81-82, MThB Re 4/4" 21, EBT Re 4/4 III 111-112 and VRB BDhe 4/4 5. But these were somehow exceptions.

There was also SOB Re 4/4 (41) (1969). This locomotive had the crests of the Cantons of St. Gallen and Zurich overlayed over the Crest of Canton Schwyz. When the locomotive was sold to the SBB, that special crest was replaced by the normal Swiss crest.

There was also a Ae 4/6III locomotive used by the SBB on the Geneva - La Praille route which had Ae 6/6 cabs. http://www.9-mm.ch/tfz/am_4-6_02.jpg http://www.9-mm.ch/tfz/am_4-6_02.jpg

The RAe 4/8 "Doppelpfeil" had a Swiss crest on the ends too.
http://bahnbilder-von-max.ch/large-picture-containers/sbb/elektrische-triebwagen//picture_01377.html http://bahnbilder-von-max.ch/large-picture-containers/sbb/elektrische-triebwagen//picture_01377.html

At one point, at least one of the Re 4/4Is in TEE livery (10050) had a Swiss crest mounted on the ends.
http://www.abload.de/img/2060-07stnij5.jpg http://www.abload.de/img/2060-07stnij5.jpg
I think that this became the standard over time and has by now become one of the symbols that sets Swiss trains apart from other countries. Today, the tradition still exists, but it has morphed into the new SBB corporate symbol, the Pleitegeier <+>, which now can be found on the fronts of most SBB locomotives (Re 450, Re 460) and Trainsets (Stadler Flirt/KISS, ICN, ETR 610, etc)

OL.Guerbetal

Am 28.01.2017 um 22:13 schrieb csipromo@... [SwissRail]:
There was also a Ae 4/6III locomotive used by the SBB on the Geneva - La Praille route which had Ae 6/6 cabs.
That was 10851 I mentioned (besides 11851)

The RAe 4/8 "Doppelpfeil" had a Swiss crest on the ends too.
However, only painted. There is one Re 4/4 II where the crest is also painted: 11172 ex MThB!

At one point, at least one of the Re 4/4Is in TEE livery (10050) had a Swiss crest mounted on the ends.
This was, in fact, somewhat strange. Thre were four Re 4/4 I in TEE livery of which two got the SBB logo, one the Swiss crest and one nothing at all...

Markus, G�rbeta

csipromo

"This was, in fact, somewhat strange. Thre were four Re 4/4 I in TEE
livery of which two got the SBB logo, one the Swiss crest and one
nothing at all...'

I assumed that they came from revision with this different appearances and over time all received the <+> crest. I remember seeing a photo of one of them which did not have the beige stripe between the red and black painted sections too.

It's nice to see that at least one of them remains in this glorious livery.
Are there any plans to keep a Re 4/4II in the TEE livery?

OL.Guerbetal

Am 29.01.2017 um 18:03 schrieb csipromo@... [SwissRail]:
"This was, in fact, somewhat strange. Thre were four Re 4/4 I in TEE
livery of which two got the SBB logo, one the Swiss crest and one
nothing at all...'
revised edition after checking several photos in some books

I assumed that they came from revision with this different
appearances and over time all received the <+> crest. I remember
seeing a photo of one of them which did not have the beige stripe
between the red and black painted sections too.
The four locomotives were repainted in 1972.
10050 came out all red without beige stripe and Swiss crest
10046 came out with dark grey bottom but without stripe, no crest
10033-34 came out with beige stripe between red and dark grey; no crest

It seems that in 1973 all four locomotives were treated to have the same look:
- all four got the SBB logo <+> at the front
- 10046 additionally got the beige stripe
- 10050 lost the crest, got a dark grey bottom and a beige stripe

The first locomotive to get the SBB logo was 11103 in 1972.

It's nice to see that at least one of them remains in this glorious
livery. Are there any plans to keep a Re 4/4II in the TEE livery?
replace "remains in" with "got back" becaus she was red for some time. At the moment no Re 4/4" has this livery, so can't keep but would have to get back. I don't know.

Markus, G�rbetal

John Lovda

SBB Re44 1 10033 https://www.flickr.com/photos/79976134@N07/29109557530/in/dateposted/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/79976134@N07/29109557530/in/dateposted/

SBB Re44 1 10033 https://www.flickr.com/photos/79976134@N07/29109557530/in/dateposted/ SBB Re4/4 I 10033, Basel SBB Depot, 1999

View on www.flickr.com https://www.flickr.com/photos/79976134@N07/29109557530/in/dateposted/
Preview by Yahoo

SBB Re441 10050 TEE https://www.flickr.com/photos/79976134@N07/16945247116/in/photostream/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/79976134@N07/16945247116/in/photostream/

SBB Re441 10050 TEE https://www.flickr.com/photos/79976134@N07/16945247116/in/photostream/ SBB Re4/4 I 10050 TEE, Brig, 1997

View on www.flickr.com https://www.flickr.com/photos/79976134@N07/16945247116/in/photostream/
Preview by Yahoo

SBB Re442 11113 https://www.flickr.com/photos/79976134@N07/16764036409/in/photostream/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/79976134@N07/16764036409/in/photostream/

SBB Re442 11113 https://www.flickr.com/photos/79976134@N07/16764036409/in/photostream/ SBB Re4/4 II 11113, ex Swiss Express, note the large SBB Swiss Express logo on the nose, Olten, 1998

View on www.flickr.com https://www.flickr.com/photos/79976134@N07/16764036409/in/photostream/
Preview by Yahoo

SBB Re4/4 1 10033 TEE https://www.flickr.com/photos/79976134@N07/16919032241/in/photostream/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/79976134@N07/16919032241/in/photostream/

SBB Re4/4 1 10033 TEE https://www.flickr.com/photos/79976134@N07/16919032241/in/photostream/ SBB Re4/4 I, 10033, TEE, Lausanne, 1977

View on www.flickr.com https://www.flickr.com/photos/79976134@N07/16919032241/in/photostream/
Preview by Yahoo

Martin Baumann

More locos have been stored, this time at Full, Canton Aargau:

11168, 11174, 11177, 11180, 420 186, 11188

11182 is currently on lease to Widmer Rail Service. It is not known if they are having problems with their ex ÖBB locos.

csipromo

Bahnbilder.ch posted several photos of 11256 and mentioned that the locomotive belonged to SRT (Swiss Rail Traffic). You mention that 11182 is leased to Widmer Rail Service. I knew that SBB was trying to find lease clients for it's CH/DE Re 421, but I did not know that the Re 4/4II were also being leased. At first I thought it was due to lack of business, but it seems that the SBBC sought to lease it's DE/CH material and substitute it with material that was more widely (including NL/BE/DE/AT/CH/IT) capable

The Bahnbilder.ch photos show 11256 pulling the RailAdventure cars attached to the X-2000 for it's return north to Sweden from Samstagern. https://bahnbilder.ch/picture/25242 https://bahnbilder.ch/picture/25242

Is there a list of Re 4/4II (Re 420) being used by other operators in Switzerland?

Elektrolok.de shows Re 421 on lease to:
SBB PV
MWB (Mittelweserbahn)
HSL (Hamburg based Operator)
RAN
MTEG (Muldental Eisebahnverkehrsgesellschaft)

I don't know if this info is current.
The Elektrolok.de site does not provide information on Re 420 (Re 4/4II) which are only homologated for Switzerland.

It was also reported here that SBBC might acquire the remaining Re 436 from Crossrail, but this has not been confirmed. SBBC has previously leased loks from Crossrail/RM to use on the Gotthard route.

OL.Guerbetal

Am 10.02.2017 um 18:03 schrieb csipromo@...:
Bahnbilder.ch posted several photos of 11256 and mentioned that the
locomotive belonged to SRT (Swiss Rail Traffic).
There are always people who know more than others do, but the official register still shows SBBC as keeper of 91 85 4420 256-0

<https://rollingstockregister.ch/>

just my twopence worth :-)

Markus, G�rbetal

Martin Baumann

The elektrolok.de list is out of date. The majority of 421s cannot currently run in Germany as some inspections needed for that country have not been done