Re: New SZU units

Andrew Moglestue

I wonder if they are planning to shut down the line for an extended period to make the necessary changes to the electrification, or whether this will be done in a stepwise manner while the line continues to operate, maybe with the occasional weekend or late night blocakde.

One problem with a stepwise transition is that as soon as you have even a short section of AC, the old Siemens units can no longer be used. If the new Stadler units cannot run on DC, you basically end up with a situation in which neither type can be used.

Thus the decison to go with dual system units suggests to me that a stepwise rather than a big-bang transition is being envisioned.