Re: New SZU units

Chris Wood

But the Stadler Facebook page says this about the order:

"Die Sihltal Zürich Uetliberg Bahn (SZU) hat Stadler gestern den Zuschlag über die Lieferung von fünf weiteren Zweispannungs-Triebzügen erteilt"

So these new Be 570 units will in fact be dual-voltage, just like the existing Be 510 units, after all. I wonder why they are being given a different type classification; I guess there must some other differences.

Presumably they have chosen to go dual-voltage because of the likelihood that the re-electrification project, even though accepted as part of the 2021 to 2024 funding plan, will not be finished in time for a train due to be in passenger service in 2022.