Topics

Public Star Party at Peralta Trail Elementary School - Saturday, March 9, 2019

On Saturday, March 9, we will host a newly scheduled public star party at Peralta Trail Elementary School from 7:30 to 9:30pm.

At this point, the weather looks like it usually does this time of year (i.e., iffy). But, Saturday does show a possible break.

We will have a very nice thin, waxing crescent Moon showing craters in detail and possibly Earthshine (Earth's reflected sunlight illuminating the side of the Moon facing us). The constellation of Orion (The Hunter) will be very well placed for viewing, along with its surrounding attractions, such as the Orion nebula and constellations Gemini, Auriga and Canis Major, to name a few. This is a sky very rich in clusters and multiple star systems. And since the Moon is so thin and so far towards the West, we hope to have a prominently visible Milky Way. The planet Uranus will be just to the upper right of the Moon. Mars will make an appearance directly above the Moon when you are facing West.

For a recap of the current status and schedule, visit: http://supermtnastro.com/  (Current schedule attached.)

The event will be at the same Peralta Trail elementary school location as in the past, on the basketball court. But, please park in the school parking lot.

For a map with directions and instructions, visit: http://supermtnastro.com/maps-and-directions (Scroll down to the Peralta location).
Dress warm, bring something to sit on (we have no seating), and bring a red covered flashlight. (We can help you with that.)
While at the website, be sure to check out our updated Meet the Astronomers page to see what they look like when not peering into an eyepiece, in the dark.

The directions to park in the school parking lot are intended for the visiting public. Members bringing telescopes and other equipment may drive through the gate and park in the observing area, i.e., the basketball court. Please arrive before dark.

For those needing handicap access, you may drive through the gate and park on the left, before reaching the observing area on the basketball court.
Although, in that case, we do ask that you arrive before dark so your headlights will not pose a distraction.

For further Star Party information and details, see the schedule  here: http://supermtnastro.com/

And, again, for a map and directions, see: http://supermtnastro.com/maps-directions

Thank you and we look forward to seeing you under the stars.

--
SuperMtnAstro (Owner/Moderator)
Superstition Mountain Astronomical League®