Topics

ICC Class Codes

ALLEN STANLEY

Hi All,

While digging in some ATSF diagram books (ca 1920 & 1927) in the classification section they showed thier class codes as well as an ICC Class Code. Below is what they showed-

TYPE ICC SYMBOL
0-4-0 A2
0-6-0 A3
0-8-0 A4
4-6-0 CE
2-8-0 B4
2-10-0 B5
2-10-2 E5
4-4-0 C2
4-8-0 C4
4-4-2 F2
4-6-2 F3
2-6-0 B3
2-6-2 E3
2-10-4
2-8-4
2-6-6-2
4-8-2
4-6-4

I have never encountered these classes by the ICC before that I can recall. I have an ATSF document dated 1912 prepared for the ICC that uses the ATSF classes and does not include the ICC ones. I have a lot of ICC valuation sections for equipment and other ICC documents and have never seen these used.

Is this something peculiar to ATSF? I have not encountered them in any other roads diagram or class books.

Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

Blessings!

Allen Stanley
Greer, SC

Jerry Dowling

Allan

Applying a little cryptology to the matter, clearly the first letter designates the number of pilot and/or trailing wheels. For example,

0/0 A
2/0 B
4/0 C
6/0 D?????
2/2 E
4/2 F
6/2 G????

The digit refers to the number of drivers on one side. This is odd of course as traditionally in the US we use the total drivers. The Brits as I recall describe locomotives by wheels on one side only.

2 (4 drivers)
3 (6 drivers)
4 (8 drivers)
5 (10 drivers)

Under my theory, the 4-6-0 should be C3 not CE.
I know this does not answer your basic query but thought I would throw it in. The designations are, of course, somewhat similar to Baldwin classes except BLW used letters for drivers.

Is this a leftover from USRA days?

I will root around in my stuff and see if I can find anything about ICC class codes.

Jerry

--- In steamlocorosters@..., "RAILDATA" <raildata@...> wrote:

[...]

Hi Jerry,

I figured it would probably work out to something like that but hadnt taken the time yet to work on it. You were correct on the 4-6-0 being a C3, my typo.

I came across this mess doing a little research for what I thought would be a quick run through on ATSF loco classes. I always thought they had only used the system of the class number being the first loco number of the new series. Found in some early diagrams they used one class for a loco and a similar one might be totally different. A 2-8-0 was something like C6 and later S4H, not actually but something like that as I dont have my notes handy. Later they were all standardized on road numbers but there is something going on. Then to confuse things another Class List FROM 1902 had them all called types and they were C, D, E, M, P, & T. A quick check seemd to indicate a type could cover 2 or more wheel arrangements. It is possible there were at least two short lived systems.

Type was another term I had not seen before as well or at least noticed. I have hundreds of diagram and class books and never recall any of this. On top of that I had an ATSF list of locos prepared for the ICC in 1912 that had a column named TYPE and gave whyte symbols, 4-4-0 etc. Football is starting and it is cold and rainy in SC all weekend so may get a bit of quality screen time to dig a bit more. Have a bunch of scanning on GC&L documents to do as well. Can you imagine SC in mid Aug with a high temp in the 60s? Time to start rereading the book of Revelation again.

Blessings!!

Allen

For GOD so loved the world that he gave his only begotten SON, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:16