Topics

Last Wood Burner

Mark Foster

I've been an active participant on Trains.com and Railfan.net forums and co-moderate the KCS, UP and Family Lines boards on the latter but I'm a newcomer to steamlocorosters and this is the first of what I hope will be many discussions with members if this group.

I would like to know what was the last wood burning locomotive to be used in regular or standby service by a US common carrier. I'm interested in learning the last engine's wheel arrangement, number, railroad on which it ran, and the year it was retired from service. I think one of the Florida/Georgia railroads, the LOP&G, the South Georgia or Marianna & Blounstown, may have been the last to run a wood burner but have been unsuccessful in finding anything on the internet to confirm that. Any info and/or links to a reference would be greatly appreciated.

Mark

Dave Sherron

How about the Mississippi and Alabama 2-6-2 documented in Lucius Beebe's Mixed Train Daily? My failing memory says that lasted later than LOP&G.

Dave Sherron
Bluffton SCf

In a message dated 5/17/2008 5:52:13 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, kramsf@... writes:

I would like to know what was the last wood burning locomotive to be used in regular or standby service by a US common carrier. I'm interested in learning the last engine's wheel arrangement, number, railroad on which it ran, and the year it was retired from service. I think one of the Florida/Georgia railroads, the LOP&G, the South Georgia or Marianna & Blounstown, may have been the last to run a wood burner but have been unsuccessful in finding anything on the internet to confirm that. Any info and/or links to a reference would be greatly appreciated.

Mark Foster

Thanks for the info Dave. Have you any idea when the M&A retired its wood burner? If I remember correctly the LOP&G operated one until around 1948 and the M&B until at least 1947. I can't find any documentation to support this and of course there could have been another railroad to operate one at an even later date like the M&A which you suggest.

Mark

In a message dated 5/17/2008 5:52:13 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, kramsf@yahoo. com writes:

I would like to know what was the last wood burning locomotive to be used in regular or standby service by a US common carrier. I'm interested in learning the last engine's wheel arrangement, number, railroad on which it ran, and the year it was retired from service. I think one of the Florida/Georgia railroads, the LOP&G, the South Georgia or Marianna & Blounstown, may have been the last to run a wood burner but have been unsuccessful in finding anything on the internet to confirm that. Any info and/or links to a reference would be greatly appreciated.

GREG MAXWELL

The M&A operated with wood burning steam until its abandonment, March
31, 1950.
Regards,
Greg Maxwell
West Linn, OR

Mark Foster

--- In steamlocorosters@..., "Greg Maxwell" <EANDPNG@...>
wrote:

The M&A operated with wood burning steam until its abandonment, March
31, 1950.
Regards,
Greg Maxwell
West Linn, OR
Thanks for the added info Greg. I googled Mississipi & Alabama Railroad
and found an interesting bit about its history including photos of its
wood burning 2-6-2 and "mainline" trackage. It's hard to imagine this
primitive operation still running at a time the streamliners, Big Boys,
J-1's etc. were plying the rails.

I believe the LOP&G engines were converted to burn coal but would sure
like to learn the date (or at least the year) they last ran as wood
burners.

Mark

Donnie Hensley <taplines@...>

It was in 1942 when the LOP&G converted to coal.
The Marianna & Blountstown was the last short line wood burner in Florida, up until about 1952 when the 444 was last used as the standby engine for diesel 75 which they bought in 1947.

Don

--- In steamlocorosters@..., Donnie Hensley

wrote:

The M&A operated with wood burning steam until its abandonment,
March
31, 1950.
Regards,
Dave S, Greg M, and Donnie H,

I am tardy in thanking you all for the info you posted. Based on your
replies I've concluded that the M&B was the last to run a woodburner
followed by the M&A and have posted this on another forum. Unless
someone comes up with anything authorative to indicate another road
operated one at a still later date I'll take the info you supplied as
the gospel.

Mark

Greg Maxwell
West Linn, OR
Thanks for the added info Greg. I googled Mississipi & Alabama
Railroad
and found an interesting bit about its history including photos
of its
wood burning 2-6-2 and "mainline" trackage. It's hard to imagine
this
primitive operation still running at a time the streamliners, Big
Boys,
J-1's etc. were plying the rails.

I believe the LOP&G engines were converted to burn coal but would
sure
like to learn the date (or at least the year) they last ran as
wood
burners.

Mark

Bob Yarger

Note that the 444 still exists, though not sure if the
tender still does:

http://www.steamlocomotive.info/vlocomotive.cfm?Display=1187

<taplines@...> wrote:

It was in 1942 when the LOP&G converted to coal.
The Marianna & Blountstown was the last short line
wood burner in
Florida, up until about 1952 when the 444 was last
used as the
standby
engine for diesel 75 which they bought in 1947.

Don

Mark Foster wrote:
--- In steamlocorosters@..., "Greg
Maxwell"
<EANDPNG@>
wrote:

[...]

(Yahoo! ID required)

mailto:steamlocorosters-fullfeatured@...

Bob Yarger
Railway Preservation News (free website)
www.rypn.org

Donnie Hensley <taplines@...>

That was the wrong photo (how it used to look), this link is how it looks today.
http://www.steamlocomotive.info/valbum.cfm?display=1187

Don

Mark Foster wrote:

--- In steamlocorosters@..., "Greg
Maxwell" <EANDPNG@>
wrote:

[...]

I looked at my photos that I took back around 1993 and the engine does have a tender.
Not sure that it is the original, as it does not match the tender in the old photos of the 444, though rebuilding it may have changed it.
There is also a caboose there.
Don

Mark Foster wrote:

--- In steamlocorosters@..., "Greg
Maxwell" <EANDPNG@>
wrote:

[...]

I'm troubled by the link Bob Yarger posted to the photo of the 444
before its cosmetic restoration. The data accompanying the photo
lists the engine's fuel as coal. I hope that's an error as it casts
some doubt as to whether the engine remained a wood burner up to the
end of its service life.

<taplines@> wrote:

It was in 1942 when the LOP&G converted to coal.
The Marianna & Blountstown was the last short line

wood burner in

Florida, up until about 1952 when the 444 was last

used as the
standby

engine for diesel 75 which they bought in 1947.

Don

Mark Foster wrote:

--- In steamlocorosters@..., "Greg

Maxwell"