Date   
Re: Last Wood Burner

GREG MAXWELL
 

The M&A operated with wood burning steam until its abandonment, March
31, 1950.
Regards,
Greg Maxwell
West Linn, OR

Re: Last Wood Burner

Mark Foster
 

--- In steamlocorosters@..., "Greg Maxwell" <EANDPNG@...>
wrote:

The M&A operated with wood burning steam until its abandonment, March
31, 1950.
Regards,
Greg Maxwell
West Linn, OR
Thanks for the added info Greg. I googled Mississipi & Alabama Railroad
and found an interesting bit about its history including photos of its
wood burning 2-6-2 and "mainline" trackage. It's hard to imagine this
primitive operation still running at a time the streamliners, Big Boys,
J-1's etc. were plying the rails.

I believe the LOP&G engines were converted to burn coal but would sure
like to learn the date (or at least the year) they last ran as wood
burners.

Mark

Re: Last Wood Burner

Donnie Hensley <taplines@...>
 

It was in 1942 when the LOP&G converted to coal.
The Marianna & Blountstown was the last short line wood burner in Florida, up until about 1952 when the 444 was last used as the standby engine for diesel 75 which they bought in 1947.

Don

Mark Foster wrote:

--- In steamlocorosters@..., "Greg Maxwell" <EANDPNG@...> wrote:

The M&A operated with wood burning steam until its abandonment, March 31, 1950.
Regards, Greg Maxwell
West Linn, OR
Thanks for the added info Greg. I googled Mississipi & Alabama Railroad and found an interesting bit about its history including photos of its wood burning 2-6-2 and "mainline" trackage. It's hard to imagine this primitive operation still running at a time the streamliners, Big Boys, J-1's etc. were plying the rails.

I believe the LOP&G engines were converted to burn coal but would sure like to learn the date (or at least the year) they last ran as wood burners.

Mark



------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links




Re: Last Wood Burner

Mark Foster
 

--- In steamlocorosters@..., Donnie Hensley
<taplines@...> wrote:

It was in 1942 when the LOP&G converted to coal.
The Marianna & Blountstown was the last short line wood burner in
Florida, up until about 1952 when the 444 was last used as the
standby
engine for diesel 75 which they bought in 1947.

Don

Mark Foster wrote:
--- In steamlocorosters@..., "Greg Maxwell"
<EANDPNG@>
wrote:

The M&A operated with wood burning steam until its abandonment,
March
31, 1950.
Regards,
Dave S, Greg M, and Donnie H,

I am tardy in thanking you all for the info you posted. Based on your
replies I've concluded that the M&B was the last to run a woodburner
followed by the M&A and have posted this on another forum. Unless
someone comes up with anything authorative to indicate another road
operated one at a still later date I'll take the info you supplied as
the gospel.

Mark





Greg Maxwell
West Linn, OR
Thanks for the added info Greg. I googled Mississipi & Alabama
Railroad
and found an interesting bit about its history including photos
of its
wood burning 2-6-2 and "mainline" trackage. It's hard to imagine
this
primitive operation still running at a time the streamliners, Big
Boys,
J-1's etc. were plying the rails.

I believe the LOP&G engines were converted to burn coal but would
sure
like to learn the date (or at least the year) they last ran as
wood
burners.

Mark




------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links




Re: Last Wood Burner

Bob Yarger
 

Note that the 444 still exists, though not sure if the
tender still does:

http://www.steamlocomotive.info/vlocomotive.cfm?Display=1187




--- Mark Foster <kramsf@...> wrote:

--- In steamlocorosters@..., Donnie
Hensley
<taplines@...> wrote:

It was in 1942 when the LOP&G converted to coal.
The Marianna & Blountstown was the last short line
wood burner in
Florida, up until about 1952 when the 444 was last
used as the
standby
engine for diesel 75 which they bought in 1947.

Don

Mark Foster wrote:
--- In steamlocorosters@..., "Greg
Maxwell"
<EANDPNG@>
wrote:

The M&A operated with wood burning steam until
its abandonment,
March
31, 1950.
Regards,
Dave S, Greg M, and Donnie H,

I am tardy in thanking you all for the info you
posted. Based on your
replies I've concluded that the M&B was the last to
run a woodburner
followed by the M&A and have posted this on another
forum. Unless
someone comes up with anything authorative to
indicate another road
operated one at a still later date I'll take the
info you supplied as
the gospel.

Mark





Greg Maxwell
West Linn, OR
Thanks for the added info Greg. I googled
Mississipi & Alabama
Railroad
and found an interesting bit about its history
including photos
of its
wood burning 2-6-2 and "mainline" trackage. It's
hard to imagine
this
primitive operation still running at a time the
streamliners, Big
Boys,
J-1's etc. were plying the rails.

I believe the LOP&G engines were converted to
burn coal but would
sure
like to learn the date (or at least the year)
they last ran as
wood
burners.

Mark




------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links






------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links

(Yahoo! ID required)

mailto:steamlocorosters-fullfeatured@...



Bob Yarger
Railway Preservation News (free website)
www.rypn.org

Re: Last Wood Burner

Donnie Hensley <taplines@...>
 

That was the wrong photo (how it used to look), this link is how it looks today.
http://www.steamlocomotive.info/valbum.cfm?display=1187

Don


Bob Yarger wrote:

Note that the 444 still exists, though not sure if the
tender still does:

http://www.steamlocomotive.info/vlocomotive.cfm?Display=1187




--- Mark Foster <kramsf@...> wrote:


--- In steamlocorosters@..., Donnie
Hensley <taplines@...> wrote:

It was in 1942 when the LOP&G converted to coal.
The Marianna & Blountstown was the last short line
wood burner in
Florida, up until about 1952 when the 444 was last
used as the standby
engine for diesel 75 which they bought in 1947.

Don

Mark Foster wrote:

--- In steamlocorosters@..., "Greg
Maxwell" <EANDPNG@>
wrote:

The M&A operated with wood burning steam until
its abandonment, March
31, 1950.
Regards,
Dave S, Greg M, and Donnie H,

I am tardy in thanking you all for the info you
posted. Based on your replies I've concluded that the M&B was the last to
run a woodburner followed by the M&A and have posted this on another
forum. Unless someone comes up with anything authorative to
indicate another road operated one at a still later date I'll take the
info you supplied as the gospel.
Mark





Greg Maxwell
West Linn, OR
Thanks for the added info Greg. I googled
Mississipi & Alabama Railroad
and found an interesting bit about its history
including photos of its
wood burning 2-6-2 and "mainline" trackage. It's
hard to imagine this
primitive operation still running at a time the
streamliners, Big Boys,
J-1's etc. were plying the rails.

I believe the LOP&G engines were converted to
burn coal but would sure
like to learn the date (or at least the year)
they last ran as wood
burners.

Mark



------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links





------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links

(Yahoo! ID required)

mailto:steamlocorosters-fullfeatured@...




Bob Yarger
Railway Preservation News (free website)
www.rypn.org



------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links




Re: Last Wood Burner

Donnie Hensley <taplines@...>
 

I looked at my photos that I took back around 1993 and the engine does have a tender.
Not sure that it is the original, as it does not match the tender in the old photos of the 444, though rebuilding it may have changed it.
There is also a caboose there.
Don


Donnie Hensley wrote:

That was the wrong photo (how it used to look), this link is how it looks today.
http://www.steamlocomotive.info/valbum.cfm?display=1187

Don


Bob Yarger wrote:

Note that the 444 still exists, though not sure if the
tender still does:

http://www.steamlocomotive.info/vlocomotive.cfm?Display=1187




--- Mark Foster <kramsf@...> wrote:


--- In steamlocorosters@..., Donnie
Hensley <taplines@...> wrote:

It was in 1942 when the LOP&G converted to coal.
The Marianna & Blountstown was the last short line
wood burner in
Florida, up until about 1952 when the 444 was last
used as the standby
engine for diesel 75 which they bought in 1947.

Don

Mark Foster wrote:

--- In steamlocorosters@..., "Greg
Maxwell" <EANDPNG@>
wrote:

The M&A operated with wood burning steam until
its abandonment, March
31, 1950.
Regards,
Dave S, Greg M, and Donnie H,

I am tardy in thanking you all for the info you
posted. Based on your replies I've concluded that the M&B was the last to
run a woodburner followed by the M&A and have posted this on another
forum. Unless someone comes up with anything authorative to
indicate another road operated one at a still later date I'll take the
info you supplied as the gospel.
Mark





Greg Maxwell
West Linn, OR
Thanks for the added info Greg. I googled
Mississipi & Alabama Railroad
and found an interesting bit about its history
including photos of its
wood burning 2-6-2 and "mainline" trackage. It's
hard to imagine this
primitive operation still running at a time the
streamliners, Big Boys,
J-1's etc. were plying the rails.

I believe the LOP&G engines were converted to
burn coal but would sure
like to learn the date (or at least the year)
they last ran as wood
burners.

Mark



------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links





------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links

(Yahoo! ID required)

mailto:steamlocorosters-fullfeatured@...



Bob Yarger
Railway Preservation News (free website)
www.rypn.org



------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links




------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links




Re: Last Wood Burner

Mark Foster
 

I'm troubled by the link Bob Yarger posted to the photo of the 444
before its cosmetic restoration. The data accompanying the photo
lists the engine's fuel as coal. I hope that's an error as it casts
some doubt as to whether the engine remained a wood burner up to the
end of its service life.

Mark Foster


--- In steamlocorosters@..., Donnie Hensley
<taplines@...> wrote:

I looked at my photos that I took back around 1993 and the engine
does
have a tender.
Not sure that it is the original, as it does not match the tender
in
the old photos of the 444, though rebuilding it may have changed it.
There is also a caboose there.
Don


Donnie Hensley wrote:
That was the wrong photo (how it used to look), this link is how
it
looks today.
http://www.steamlocomotive.info/valbum.cfm?display=1187

Don


Bob Yarger wrote:

Note that the 444 still exists, though not sure if the
tender still does:

http://www.steamlocomotive.info/vlocomotive.cfm?Display=1187




--- Mark Foster <kramsf@...> wrote:



--- In steamlocorosters@..., Donnie
Hensley
<taplines@> wrote:


It was in 1942 when the LOP&G converted to coal.
The Marianna & Blountstown was the last short line

wood burner in


Florida, up until about 1952 when the 444 was last

used as the
standby


engine for diesel 75 which they bought in 1947.

Don

Mark Foster wrote:


--- In steamlocorosters@..., "Greg

Maxwell"
<EANDPNG@>


wrote:



The M&A operated with wood burning steam until

its abandonment,
March


31, 1950.
Regards,

Dave S, Greg M, and Donnie H,

I am tardy in thanking you all for the info you
posted. Based on your
replies I've concluded that the M&B was the last to
run a woodburner
followed by the M&A and have posted this on another
forum. Unless
someone comes up with anything authorative to
indicate another road
operated one at a still later date I'll take the
info you supplied as
the gospel.

Mark







Greg Maxwell
West Linn, OR


Thanks for the added info Greg. I googled

Mississipi & Alabama
Railroad


and found an interesting bit about its history

including photos
of its


wood burning 2-6-2 and "mainline" trackage. It's

hard to imagine
this


primitive operation still running at a time the

streamliners, Big
Boys,


J-1's etc. were plying the rails.

I believe the LOP&G engines were converted to

burn coal but would
sure


like to learn the date (or at least the year)

they last ran as
wood


burners.

Mark




------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links






------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links

(Yahoo! ID required)

mailto:steamlocorosters-fullfeatured@...




Bob Yarger
Railway Preservation News (free website)
www.rypn.org




------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links





------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links




M&NA

Betty Clay
 

Is there a roster for the N&MA Missouri & North Arkansas Railroad? I
have a headlight that is supposed to be from steam engine #41 and have
not found much about this railroad. Thank you Ernie

Re: M&NA

tracksorlando
 

No information on # 41, or a roster.
A list of material on the M&NA:
notes, Trains Magazine November 1973 page 51.
Book titled "The North Arkansas Line".
History notes Railfan Magazine May 1993 page 8.
History notes Trains Magazine July 1995 page 32.
Other notes:
4-4-0 American type # 23, Baldwin 37069, ordered as Midland Pennsylvania # 1.
4-6-0 ten wheel type # 4,  photo in Railroad Magazine June 1948 page 21.
Rail cars (Doodlebugs) GE model CRE70B11 # 102, 103 (1st), 103(2nd).
Rail car (doodlebug) Stover built, ex CRI&P 9005(1ST).
Have fun!
Terry




Get trade secrets for amazing burgers. Watch "Cooking with Tyler Florence" on AOL Food.

Philippine Railway

Graham Holt
 

The Philippine Railway was an American owned company until the mid
1950's. It operated on both Cebu and Panay Islands.

Can anyone advise where I can obtain a complete loco roster?

Thanks

Graham

Re: Philippine Railway

jtatum43 <eldojim@...>
 

Graham,

A Google search yields these four of the top five references, the other
being an article on PNR on Wikipedia. Perhaps one or more will have a
roster-

http://geocities.com/alcogoodwin/PhilippineRailways.htm

http://www.philippinerailways.com

http://philippinerailwayhistoricalsociety.blogspot.com/

http://www.rihspi.org

Jim Tatum


--- In steamlocorosters@..., "Graham Holt" <bigrabbits@...>
wrote:

The Philippine Railway was an American owned company until the mid
1950's. It operated on both Cebu and Panay Islands.

Can anyone advise where I can obtain a complete loco roster?

Thanks

Graham

Re: Philippine Railway

jtatum43 <eldojim@...>
 

Correction on the first link-

http://www.geocities.com/alcogoodwin/PhilippineRailways.html

Jim.


--- In steamlocorosters@..., "jtatum43" <eldojim@...> wrote:

Graham,

A Google search yields these four of the top five references, the
other
being an article on PNR on Wikipedia. Perhaps one or more will have a
roster-

http://geocities.com/alcogoodwin/PhilippineRailways.htm

http://www.philippinerailways.com

http://philippinerailwayhistoricalsociety.blogspot.com/

http://www.rihspi.org

Jim Tatum


--- In steamlocorosters@..., "Graham Holt" bigrabbits@
wrote:

The Philippine Railway was an American owned company until the mid
1950's. It operated on both Cebu and Panay Islands.

Can anyone advise where I can obtain a complete loco roster?

Thanks

Graham

Preservation Group Announces Fundraising Campaign

Andrew Martin
 

Preservation Group Announces Fundraising Campaign to Save Roanoke
Scrapyard Engines

NATURAL BRIDGE, VA – The Western Virginia Railroad Preservation
Society (TWVRPS) is pleased to announce the launch of a new
fundraising campaign to rescue the remaining historic railroad
equipment in the former Virginia Scrap Iron & Metal Company scrapyard
in Roanoke, VA. This equipment consists of three Norfolk & Western
steam locomotives built between 1910 and 1911, two rare Baldwin
diesel locomotives from the Chesapeake Western Railroad, two water
canteen cars converted from steam locomotive tenders, and a flatcar.

A Virginia-based nonprofit organization, TWVRPS was originally formed
in 2003 for the purpose of trying to save the Roanoke locomotives,
but shifted their focus to other projects after the scrapyard donated
the equipment to the Virginia Museum of Transportation (VMT) later
that year. However, given the VMT's financial difficulties and their
stated primary interest in Roanoke-built steam locomotive number 1151
and one of the former Chesapeake Western diesels, it is clear that
other organizations must now come forward in order to save the
remaining equipment, and TWVRPS is eager to return to its original
objective.

It is the goal of TWVRPS to see as many of the Roanoke scrapyard
locomotives saved as possible, through the coordinated efforts of
TWVRPS, the VMT, and other interested parties. A fourth steam
locomotive, Norfolk & Western 917 was recently acquired by an
individual in Ohio and removed from the yard. At an estimated cost
of approximately $50,000 each to move the three remaining steam
locomotives, two diesels, two tenders and a flat car, just what can
be saved will depend on the amount successfully raised before the
December 31, 2008 deadline given by the Roanoke Redevelopment and
Housing Authority, which now owns the scrapyard site.

TWVRPS will support the VMT in their efforts to acquire the 1151, and
has developed a priority list of the remaining equipment. The group
is particularly interested in engine number 1118 (the most intact of
the three steam locomotives remaining in the yard), and would also
like to preserve one of the diesels. The two water tenders, although
not original to the locomotives, are similar to tenders that these
engines would have used in their final years of service, and are also
high on the priority list of items to be saved.

The 1118 and other historic locomotives preserved by TWVRPS are to be
restored and displayed in the Commonwealth of Virginia as an
important part of the region's railroad heritage. The Society is
currently in negotiations to acquire a permanent site for their
museum and restoration facility in western Virginia. The group has
identified several potential storage sites in the Roanoke area where
the equipment can be placed out of harm's way and restoration work
can commence, pending a move to the permanent facility.

The Western Virginia Railroad Preservation Society is a 501(c)(3) non-
profit organization, and all donations are tax-deductible. More
information about TWVRPS can be found on the Society's website,
www.wvrps.org. Donations to TWVRPS can be made online via PayPal, or
by mail to:

The Western Virginia Railroad Preservation Society, Inc.
P.O. Box 124
Natural Bridge, VA 24578


____

Press contact:
Andrew Martin
The Western Virginia Railroad Preservation Society, Inc.
P.O. Box 124
Natural Bridge, VA 24578

Tel: 1-866-392-0653
Email: amartin@...

Donations and Pledges

Andrew Martin
 

Hi Everyone,

We are off to a good start on the fundraising for the Lost Engines.
Richard Jenkins has Pledged a symbolic $1118 dollars and we have
another $220 dollars in pledges and donations.
This is really a good start to our fundraiser and we really appreciated
it.

Andrew Martin
President
TWVRPS

Re: Donations and Pledges

Tom Reid <treid3@...>
 

Very interesting. I have never heard of you or your organization. You obviously don't want contributions since there is no contact information.

Hi Everyone,

We are off to a good start on the fundraising for the Lost Engines.
Richard Jenkins has Pledged a symbolic $1118 dollars and we have
another $220 dollars in pledges and donations.
This is really a good start to our fundraiser and we really appreciated
it.

Andrew Martin
President
TWVRPS

Re: Donations and Pledges

Andrew Martin
 

Hi Tom,

I didnt realize you didnt see the eairler post we made to this group.
Here is the link to that post and I will correct my updates to include
the links for donations next time and Thanks for the heads up.

Andrew Martin
President
TWVRPS

http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/steamlocorosters/message/151&#92;

And here is the link to our website: http://www.wvrps.org

C&EI ROSTER POSTED

ALLEN STANLEY
 

Hi All,

Just posted an all time C&EI roster done by Gene Connelly. In
reviewing it I found a large number of newer steam locos from Alco &
Baldwin and others with no disposition data at all. Not that unusual
for very old locos, but surprising in this case being they were newer
locos and also the quantity of them. I have a couple of other C&EI
rosters with the same gaping holes. Also all the builders lists that I
have show the same omissions. Gene has a database he has been
upgrading 40+ years so probably would have come across the data if it
was out there.

Can anyone shed any light on these locos or how or why their history
just vanished?

Thanks,

Allen Stanley
Greer, SC

M&LS Loco Question Help

ALLEN STANLEY
 

Hi All,

Trying to track down some locos with conflicting data (imagine that)
on the Manistique & Lake Superior RR. One came from the St Paul &
Duluth and most published data says it came from St Paul & Duluth in
1908, but ICC Valuation data says it was obtained secondhand 1901.

I have decent M&LS, StP&D and even NP records, but many dispositions
are missing or just say sold. Would also be great to find
construction number and anything else about it.

Would anyone have any data on the locos from these roads they would
be willing to share? I have extensive collections of rosters,
builders data, diagramand class books and track charts etc if I can
help anyone with anything.

Thanks for any help.

Allen Stanley
Greer, SC

Ann Arbor Loco class question

ALLEN STANLEY
 

Hi All,

Working on an AA steam loco possible book or CD and trying to clear
up a question regarding 4-6-0 #42 to 101 to 121 etc, Baldwin CN#
16406. I have conflicting respected sources showing it as class F or
F1. I have a diagram of it as 101 dated 1928 and it and 100 are shown
as class F1. Some rosters show them changed to F1 at a later date,
others don't. Some show them F1 all the way. My suspicion is they
were reclassed when renumbered in 1909, but is just a guess.

Are there any steam gurus or can someone point me to one that might
help? Would also be most appreciateive if anyone has any class books
or diagram books pre 1925 they would be willing to share copies or
scans of or let me borrow to scan? Would really be helpful too have
diagrams from near the 1909 renumberings. I have found a good bit of
additional data to what has been previously published and they would
be very complementary to it. Also have several additions and
corretions to the M&LS loco roster.

Thanks for any considerations anyone can make to my efforts.

Allen Stanley